Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tell me your mold allergy stories
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My wife and kids have had miserable colds for weeks now, with varying intensity of symptoms. Our house is a new build, pretty warm and dry but we’ve got little time for cleaning these days and consequently it’s dusty and the fridge is a bit moldy.

Obv I’ll be cleaning the fridge this weekend when I get home, but could it be that simply a moldy fridge could cause a mold spore problem? My wife is allergic to penicillin which makes it rather plausible that mold is an issue with them.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dunno. I have an allergy to mould spores though which manifests in a tight wheezy chest, not much like a cold, more like asthma. Only really get it when I visit houses that have a bit of damp (e.g. obvious mould round the window frames). Keep the fridge clean so no idea if that would also do it.

Edit: No problems with with penicillin here.

martinhutch

I start sneezing when I go past on the A55, so it must be quite severe.

There are some nasty colds going around at the mo, I’ve just had a couple of weeks’ worth. Can’t see the obvious link between cold symptoms and a mouldy fridge, though.

Mould at the back of a fridge isn’t the biggest candidate for getting mould spores into circulation throughout the house. Might be worth checking other candidates – back of curtains, bathroom, cold spots on walls etc to reassure yourself. Are you ventilating the house properly?

molgrips
    Free Member

House not terribly well ventilated of course, being a new build and approaching winter. Never noticed a single instance of mold though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mr blobby ive the same

i lived in a damp house for 6 months , noticed when i went to my parents for holidays it was like getting new lungs…..

moved out as soon as i could after that…. into my van ! it cleared up like that !

bencooper
    Free Member

Isn’t there something about drying clothes indoors? My partner is currently worrying about that…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

central heating, closed windows– recipe for nasal problems, you need fresh air, not too much dry heat.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I had a friend that lived in a very damp basement, over time he lost the use of his legs, he now moves around using a large single foot which makes rhythmic waves of muscular contractions on the underside, whilst simultaneously secreting a layer of mucus on which he travels. He doesn’t get invited around anymore.

davidjones15
    Free Member

My wife is allergic to penicillin which makes it rather plausible that mold is an issue with them.

i’m allergic to penicillin too, but i have no issues with mould, more than likely a lack of fresh air problem.

I start sneezing when I go past on the A55, so it must be quite severe.

If you stay on the A55 you should be fine but venture into town at your own risk as you might find yourself thrown into the middle of the 19th century and/or fancying your sister/brother/pet. Grim.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps its just the time of year for colds?

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps, yes.

geoffj

Get mrs grips to wtfu on the cleaning front* or get a cleaner?

*not being sexist – Molly says he’s away!

molgrips
    Free Member

Get mrs grips to wtfu on the cleaning front

Mrs Grips is on the point of mental breakdown having to look after two poorly/non-sleeping kids whilst being poorly herself.. give her a break.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

My first year as a student I ignored a long cold, turned out it was sinusitis (possibly caused by student living conditions 😉 ) and I’d left it long enough that I grew a giant polyp and had to have surgery!
    Second year as a student, in a particularly damp/mouldy room I noticed the signs earlier but once again got sinusitis which needed antibiotics to clear up so it’s definitely plausible!

geoffj

Fair enough – its always good to start with the most obvious option first though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sinusitis caused by damp and mold?

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Apparently it can be a contributing factor!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tell me your mold allergy stories’ is closed to new replies.