Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Tell me why I SHOULDN'T buy a Land Rover Defender
  • hot_fiat

and the award for most confusing post goes to…

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m not normally one for teenage acronyms but… WTF?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I bought ours because we wanted a 9-seat, go-anywhere vehicle for taking mountain bikers up mountains (and for shifting snowboarders + luggage in the winter).

I love it, I really do… but…

If I didn’t very specifically need a 9-seat, go anywhere vehicle, I would buy something else…

hot_fiat

Ok, so now my post looks stupid, there was a post there in random broken English about “Range Defenders” and long sports cars, wasn’t there? Or have the drugs just worn off?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the 2.5 diesel was much loved by the military too – the 200tdi never really got a lookin.

101 – needs 6BT

cummins 6bt truck engines are cheap – google “sitec 6BT 101” – be impressed – even though they weigh 500kg its still a huge improvement for roadtripping over the aussie outback – IIRC hes managed to pressurise the cab to keep out the dust which must need a huge fan with all the holes round a landy cab.

DaRC_L

I can’t I’ve been desiring one for years – if only I could justify it

salsaboy

Here’s the STW camper…..

ononeorange

Aaaaahhhhhh, wish I hadn’t read this post. I still miss my series 3 but the chassis went and I couldn’t afford to fix it.

OP, we hired a defender last year from a really good hire place called 4×4 or something I think in Glasgow – they meet you at Edinburgh / Glasgow airport and we thrashed it round the west coast / highlands. Brilliant.

Would love one but for reasons I could never fathom mrs o didn’t take to it.

If you get one – PICTURES!!!

mattbee

Used to have an ex RAF 90 with a 2.5 DT chucked in. Slow, noisy, wet, cramped and so much fun. Ran it on 50/50 diesel/veg oil, made me hungry every time I drove it. 50mph on a good day, absolutely hateful over any more than about 30 miles. I’d buy another any day.
    I’m 6’2″ and I got on fine with the driving position, military spec door help as they have no gunnins in them, just the outer skin and frame. Sliding windows useful for elbow out too.
    It replaced my fave LR, S111 Airportable. That had a 2.25 petrol and was another really fun vehicle to drive, although the he short wheelbase and baggy steering meant it was like taking a puppy for a walk, all over the road! You know how kids pretend to drive & constantly move the imaginary wheel? They would be right at home in a SWB Landy.
    I chopped my 90 in for a Range Rover Classic 5 door, still awesome off road but huge woolly armchair seats, auto box and that 3.9 l v8 made long distances not only possible but comfortable. Bit thirsty though, even with LPG.
    That then got swapped for a Disco 300 tdi, which wasn’t anywhere near as fun but cheaper to run and was no trouble until the gearbox let go.
    Old workplace had 2 ‘snatch’ and a WMIK, if you think a std LR is bad, try doing 140 miles in a snatch!

professor_fate
    Free Member

if you think a std LR is bad, try doing 140 miles in a snatch!

…how about 460miles in one (Detmold to Stubai Glacier, Austria), towing a trailer with the Batt’s SkiTeam kit – in one hit!
    Happy days (i think… :wink:)

chestrockwell

Favourite thing in the world, good at everything,

Except turning, being able to steer without the window down, general comfort, performance, well…. everything. For anything other then a farmers off roader or a bit of fun they’re awful.

timber

OP – at less than 5k miles a year, you’ll never get the heater up to temperature. Doing 50k a year wouldn’t help either. Unless you get a tdci.
    Great vehicles at work, but nice to go home in the car.

Years ago, work used to have a Unimog, it was warmer and faster than the Land Rovers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I should filter all Land Rover threads as they defy all rational thoughts. Finds myself bidding on an ebay 110.

Stoner
    Free Member

lolz

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stoner, I’ve reread your entire rebuild thread and should be fully aware of the folly. 😯

skiboy
    Free Member

From 2003-2010 i had an ex army 110, I got it direct from service it was a 1986 ffr from the signals had a new engine 36k on it and was without a doubt 1 of the best vehicles I ever owned,
    Easy to work on, cheap to fix only broke down once when the clutch failed and I paid 5k for it and sold it for 2.5k.

We had wanted a CSW for years so with that money and a hefty chunk more I bought a 2010 defender top of the line 110 XS with all the trimmings. Leather interior, landrover expedition kit etc.
    It was without a doubt the worst vehicle I ever owned.
    The thing that got me rattled the most was the rot. At 6 months old I expected none and at first it stayed at bay then over the first winter it literally started rotting in front if my eyes. Pain failing on the bonnet a hideous leak elbow the screen on the left side where the seal is and rust inside the cab blowing through the metal inside the cab.
    I had it all done under warranty but they did a terrible job and the leak was worse than ever.
    Had it done again and still no good, then the bumper started to bubble so I thought sod that and sold it.
    I paid 27.5k for it with 6k miles on the clock and sold it at 24k miles for 18k.

My advice don’t buy a new’ish one go for an older model. I still miss my ex mod wagon

trail_rat
    Free Member

Skiboy, thats what i tell everyone that asks why i aint buying a new one instead of building my 87 back up with new stuff

welshfarmer

This is mine. 31 years old and far far better than when it was new 🙂

Will cruise all day at 80 (when I go to Germany of course) and you can still hear the radio.

Rebuilt over the course of a year and just about every negative aspect of the original has been dealt with.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

They are great but avoid the V8, I have a 1972 s3 lightweight with a 3.5V8 it does 8mpg, frequently 2-4 cylinders decide to have a rest, but I love it, I do not know why

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whats the engine welsh farmer 200? More so whats the exhaust…..

welshfarmer

300 tdi with Alisport intercooler and pump mods. Exhaust is a complete big bore Janspeed Stainless system that was on my old Disco, that I remodelled to suit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah stuff that , there be no stainless here .

I just liked the look of the bck box as it looks quite compact

Im sticking mine out behind the passengers wheel 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Janspeed Stainless system that was on my old Disco, that I remodelled to suit.

They usually have to be remodelled to suit the vehicle originally intended for 😉

welshfarmer

Specially after reversing the disco into a bank! Silly original design was quickly modified 🙂

Nowt wrong with stainless trail_rat. I just buy bends/straight bits in same grade/size and weld it up with a normal Mig. Welds a treat & easy to work with.

walleater

Being driven around in this was an experience when I was back in the UK! Super early Series 1, with a V8 stuffed in it. No room in the engine bay for the cooling fan! One had to be placed in front of the radiater and was operated by a switch. It sounded like the Industrial Revolution on wheels 😀 No mod cons (like door handles….).

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Thanks to all of you for your views.
    Admittedly, I like an easier life and currently have no space, time or knowledge to be doing any work to such a vehicle. Chapeaux to those who do.
    Perhaps if I attain that as yet elusive lotto win I shall buy a pimped example…and some land to use it on.

Woody
    Free Member

Strangely drawn to THIS ONE which on the face of it seems very reasonable.

Opinions please.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Screams rot box.

Says he cant take it for mot……. only one reason someone wouldnt put a new mot on a car they are selling

If you look at it pay particular attention to bootfloor front an rear inner wings , body mouns. Sills and round the windscreens.

Its been a leaker so if those aint done already itll resemble a flintstones car

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers tr. MOT excuse seems reasonable but like you I’m very sceptical as to the real reason!

I might go and have a look at it but there is also a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee with LPG conversion which is dirt cheap and the owner has described the faults which need rectifying and obviously knows his stuff. It’s really down to whether I have enough time for the faffage which will undoubtedly come with buying either of them!

Jeep is on Fleabay

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Discovery isn’t worth more than a grand. Check the condition of the sills, rear wheel arches, boot floor and inner wings. Check the chassis for rust.

Panels for the sills inner and outer are about £120 as side if you can fit them yourself.

Brake parts aren’t expensive again if you can fit them yourself. Its a little more involved as you have to remove the hubs to fit new discs. Might just be a brake pipe or hose that needs doing.

Parts for a Discovery are cheap and readily found. Without knowing the figures I have no doubt the Discovery will be able to tow a whole lot more than the Jeep.

If you have the tools and inclination the Discovery is an ok buy. I have one that I’ve replaced the sills on, the chassis has never been welded on it. I don’t do a huge mileage in it, but when I do use it, it get hammered towing a heavy trailer. I think they are much better value than a 90 or 110.

The Jeep looks more of a money pit repairs wise.

welshfarmer

That Disco will be a pile of rust underneath. Unless you can weld yourself to a high standard I would leave well alone. Worth £600 max without MOT for spares. An early Disco WITH an MOT is still no guarantee that it will not need welding. At least the200/300 tdi ones are generally only really rotten in the body, the TD5 have terrible problems with rusty chassis’.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Tell me why I SHOULDN'T buy a Land Rover Defender’ is closed to new replies.