Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Tell me what I have just bought please (retro frame/bike ID help)
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Me too

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I thought Univega

No dropped chainstay. Think they all had those BITD.

Carrera is a good call, I reckon….

sas78

This thread is great! It’s like a late night pub debate but slower and much more interesting!

Where it will all end no one knows 😀

ontor
    Free Member

Raleigh special products used to make the odd prototype and frame in Alu. I would guess its something like that.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d wager it’s a Trek 8700 from mid-late 90s

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Wait, they were carbon? A Trek 8something?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d wager it’s a Trek 8700 from mid-late 90s

No chance! Weren’t they all carbon anyway?

Trek never did any lugged metal frames AFAIK.

Maybe it is a custom frame – note no bottle cage bosses. Surely all 90’s standard MTB’s came with bottle cage mounts?

bearnecessities

^ You need to zoom in a bit 🙂

^ You need to zoom in a bit

Ah yeah – further rules out a Raleigh then, as they all seem to be on the seat tube…

DezB
    Free Member

It has one on the back of the seat tube… see op’s second post!

MrPottatoHead

The one on the back of the seat post was when they tried some awful front mech cable routing. Along the TT down to a cam wheel fixed there and then back up to the front mech. Can’t recall many people doing it which could narrow it down a bit.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yep. Looks like a Raleigh of some sort. Probably isn’t.

My money’s on some sort of weird home-brew frankenbike frame. Perhaps somebody actually tried (and succeeded in) bonding aluminium tubes to (what was once) a fairly ordinary steel frame?

Or it’s simply a Taiwanese oddity. Not to put too fine a point in it, but the build quality in some of those close ups appears to leave a little to be desired.

Why would anyone with knowledge of metals knowingly design something with steel and ali held together?

Looks like a fun hack bike though, OP!

timmys

Carrera Mission

Seem to be lots of subtle differences to mine.

Univega

Got a model I can google? Initial searches aren’t bringing up anything obviously similar.

Mainly seems we are back to “It’s a Raleigh” and “it can’t be a Raleigh” though 🙂

Retrobike thread here if you are interested; http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=357010

v666ern
    Free Member

Has it got any spoons involved…

njee20
    Free Member

I think it’s far newer than 1992/93 as suggested on Retro bike. 1.125″ headset suggests 1995-96 to me.

clodhopper
    Free Member

IME, Raleigh Dyna Tech lugs were cast, whereas the ones in the pics are welded. I know that Raliegh did do some cheaper frames that used similar technology (Duotec?), and there’s their USA stuff that never got sold in the UK, but I still don’t think it’s a Raleigh.

Trouble is, the bike pictured actually does ring a distant bell, but I can’t remember where/when it was I saw it.

I’m 99% certain I have seen one before though. It’s bugging me now! 😡

teethgrinder

My old Raleigh Mirage was a 1990-1991 (the purple one) – that had a Tioga Avenger 1.125″ threaded headset, so the size was about pre-95. Could be retro-fitted threadless headset.

unovolo
    Free Member

Its Probably some early On One prototype, is the seatpost a good fit as that would be a dead giveaway 😉

Travis

Where is the frame number stamped?
    And can you take a photo of it and post it?

Some manufacturers put theirs in special places, or they appeared on certain parts of the BB.

njee20
    Free Member

Could be retro-fitted threadless headset.

Aye, true.

aclutt
    Free Member

I think its a early merlin special with a build kit i can remember the adds for these and the carbon version’s in the old mags…might be merlin or some other company my mate had the carbon alu frame.

timmys

*** paging pyschobiker ***

Over on the facebook thread someone posted a pic of a Claude Butler that looks very similar (though still different, the scallop at the top of the seat tube on mine, and the rear canti hanger arrangement). It’s the closest hit so far anyway. A bit of reverse Google image searching actually shows the image posted on facebook (not by the owner), originated from a old thread on here!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/when-did-you-get-your-first-mtb/page/3#post-3786326

So, psychobiker are you out there and do you have any other info other that it’s a Claude Butler?

Here’s the image;

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what I have just bought please (retro frame/bike ID help)’ is closed to new replies.