Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tell me what bike i want…
  • Euro
    Free Member

I would like to replace one of my two bikes. One is a 20″ 456SS the other is a L Stumpy Evo. Both are 26″. I’m after an this time XL (6’5″) and i’d like to buy a new complete bike. Budget between £2-2.5k (3 for something very nice). Don’t want a fat bike. Might want a 29er. Don’t want 32mm forks. Don’t want weak/flexy wheels (i’m looking at you 29er 😀 )

Thinking a 29 HT to replace the 456. Something aggro like a NP scout so any suggestions for that style of bike would be nice. Maybe change the Stumpy for something 29er-ish like a big Stumpy/Enduro/Jeffery/Process 111 (i think i’m too big for Jeremy but it’s got the kind of spec i’d be happy with). Would like to try something with this new geometry. FS travel anywhere between 100-150mm and ok for pedaling.

Whatever bike i get will be used for everything from local xc to DH to sending parcels jumps depending on mood.

Slight issue for me is test rides – never really had one before and nowhere* i know does them (?). Not many shops have XL bikes built up sitting in the showrooms.

I’m not after a mince wagon, something a bit more rufty tufty. Don’t like the idea of changing the Stumpy for 650 as it’s bloody brillant for the riding i do.

I don’t really follow the bike scene so can anyone suggest a bike that will floot ma boot?

Yours in anticipation

Euro

*Norn Iron btw

somouk
    Free Member

You sound just like my brother and he has a Whyte T130.

Seemed like a sensible compromise for him living 10 minutes from Glentress but also travelling about riding all over including the Alps etc.

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers somouk. Very nice looking bike that and almost perfect. Only issue is it’s 650b and i’d feel very bad changing a perfectly good 26 for a slightly bigger wheel. Not a brand i’m familiar with but will check out the Whyte 29ers when i get home from work.

shortcut

Potentially worth looking at Spesh Camber Evo or Stumpjumper in 29er. Both being pretty ruffty tufty and capable. The Camber is OK to get around XC races on although heavier than a lot of xc bikes out there is will be fine in the middle of the pack.

Alternatives like those offered by Whyte, Scott (Genius or Spark), Trek are all worth a look.

Don’t forget that with bigger wheels you kinda feel like you have more travel so the drop down against the current Stumpy is not a big deal to worry about.

For a hard tail – have a look at the second hand market – there are loads out there.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Transition Smuggler would be elbowing it’s way to the top of my list, with your budget.

Euro
    Free Member

Oooh, both the Smuggler and T-129rs are looking very good are are bikes i’d not heard of. Always like Spesh and they get extra points on the warranty side of things (big Stumpy was my initial thought but no brand loyality here). Ahwiles, any sources for the tranny? Only one i found (sneaky quick google) was well over 3k with a Pike which might be too much.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Can I just ask why you have straight away ruled out a fat bike? Seeing as you already have the stumpy, a pretty good all rounder I would have thought, surely something contrasting would be a good move rather than a similar bike? What are you looking to gain out of a different bike? Sounds like you have some good coverage with the bikes you have.

I have a 26″ 160mm dare I say it, “Enduro bike” and then a relatively light, rigid fatbike. Pretty much covers everything from DH to all day exploring and importantly summer and winter. As it happens the fatbike is quicker round the local trail centres and probably more fun as well.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Euro – Member

…Ahwiles, any sources for the tranny? Only one i found (sneaky quick google) was well over 3k with a Pike which might be too much.

nothing specific in mind, but they’re around £2.8k with a recon fork, so £3k with a pike should be doable.

ont’otherand, the frame only price is £1500, that should leave enough budget for a pike-and-build?

chakaping
    Free Member

The Process 111 (with a 120mm Pike) could be just what you’re after, in terms of sizing, burliness and fun factor.

Only sticking point is that you mention doing DH tracks. The only time mine feels overfaced is on steep and quite rugged trails (but it’s actually faster than my old 180mm Patriot on most of the less rocky local tracks).

Euro
    Free Member

Can I just ask why you have straight away ruled out a fat bike? Seeing as you already have the stumpy, a pretty good all rounder I would have thought, surely something contrasting would be a good move rather than a similar bike? What are you looking to gain out of a different bike? Sounds like you have some good coverage with the bikes you have.

My first thoughts were to keep the Stumpy and replace the 456. It’s gate-like, the forks (1 1/8) are old and shagged and i can’t get spares for them and it’s a budget build so not bothered if i don’t get much for it (if it even sold).

A fat bike is a possibility i suppose but they’ve never really did it for me. I’ve not looked at them too closely but they mostly seem to be the one size. Happy to be enlightened.

As you say i have pretty good coverage with my two bikes and i like the fact if one is out of action i can still take the other and not lose out. The replacement bike would need to be versatile too.

Both mine are getting on a bit Stumpy is the newest @ 2011 and i’d like to see what a modern long bike feels like. The ability to take + tyres might be good but full fat is a bit of a novelty in my eyes.

I like having a HT and FS and fear that i’ll not ride the Stumpy if i swap the 456 for a 29 FS. But i suppose that might depend on which style of bike i go for.

Only sticking point is that you mention doing DH tracks.

I’d be happy enough with 120mm on DH tracks. I’m not racing and quite smooth despite being a bit of a lump.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Been very helpful. 😀

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

If you don’t have any specific issues with your stumpy then I’d say keep it and replace the 456 with a fat bike. Some of the cheaper steel ones ride a bit like you would expect a fatbike to ride but get a sensible one with a good set of wheels and tyres and it’s fantastic fun. Great for winter and being rigid, it improves your riding no end. I like a trip to the Alps as much as the next man and and wont shy away from Fort william world champs track, Gawton gravity hub, antur stiniog etc.. but in reality these are holiday places and my local week day rides are round the local place, Dartmoor etc.. and local trail centres and on this sort of stuff the fatbike is more fun and for the most part, faster than my full sus. I strongly recommend as I think it would replace your 456 brilliantly. It’s also a little different in the way you ride stuff so makes riding feel the same old places feel a bit new again.

Euro
    Free Member

hmmm, you make a good point johnnyboy. My local stuff would be fat bike friendly most of the year. Can you suggest any fats that would be worth looking at? (bare in mind i’m 6’5″)

Cheers

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Well I’ve got a Felt coudl double 30 which I have been mostly very pleased with. My Frame had to be replaced as mine didn’t fit 4.8 inch tyres. I had a big whoo ha with Felt about it and the new frame does clear them (though only just) It’s nice and light and on local trails rolls incredibly well but I recently was looking at someone’s Cube (not a euphemism)…

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=6175&g=955581&p=947387&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Fat%20Bikes&gclid=CNne0Oeh-MwCFYTGGwodIGcMsw

Looked good value with dropper and amongst the best fat bike wheels around.
    Or buy one for a grand then spec up as you go. Lots’ of choice right now but definitely try and ride a lighter weight one and you’ll be amazed at how fast and nimble they can be.

The other bike that I can only imagine is totally awesome is the Trek stache 7, after loving my fat bike I wonder if this could be the ultimate crossover?

Cheezpleez

Canyon Dude, Cube Nutrail Race or On-One Fatty Trail, if you’re after a hooligan fatty. On the hardtail front, I’d look at a Canfield, Niner ROS9 or possibly a Zealous Division.

beamishblue

I’m in a similar position. 6’3″ with a 20″ 456SS and an XL Meta 5. Planning to replace 456SS with a Stanton Sherpa. Kinda hankering after an XL Jeffsy though…

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Pivot Les Fat is £2300, great weight and good spec. It has all the right axle sizes and tyre clearances.

Euro
    Free Member

Right, i’ve been googling like a mofo but as much as i try, i can’t bring myself to want a fattie.

Of the shorter travel i’m liking the T129RS and have discovered a couple of localish Whyte dealers enquires have been made to see if they have any XL T129RS for me to sit on. I like the Smuggler too and have always like Transition bikes but i want someone local i can take it back too if things go wrong. Closest dealer is in Scotland.

Upping the travel there’s a Spesh dealer in Belfast and if asked about an XXL Stumpy 29er to swing a leg over.

It’s a lot more complicated than i imagined once you start pouring over the figures – especially when you don’t know what the numbers mean 😆 I think this is one of the reasons i liked my bikes small. These figures don’t matter when when you’re bike doesn’t fit, but as soon as you try and get a bike that’s the right size it starts to get complicated.E.g. Stack and reach??? An XL 129 has 616 stacks and the XXL stumpy has a 686. That’s a whopping 70 more stacks, which is awesome i think 😀 Thing is, how do i measure how many stacks i need? Same for reach, this time the Whyte has more reach than the Spesh (10mm) despite being smaller?

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

That’s fair enough although I would urge you to try to have a go on one. Just think how smug you will feel catching up and overtaking mincers on full sussers!

Euro
    Free Member

Transition Smuggler would be elbowing it’s way to the top of my list, with your budget.

Smuggler is back on the list! Near the top in fact (there’s only three on the list mind you 😀 ) Pushing the budget at a smidge over 3k for the ‘3’ build.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The red one.

Euro
    Free Member

The red one.

That’s the sort of useless comment i normally make! (what shade of red? 😛 )

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blueish

warns74
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you and XL stumpy 29er fits like a glove. I had a 2014 and replaced it with the 2016 version which has shorter chainstays and slacker front end and it really shows through in the ride.
    Ridden them everywhere from the Alps, Sierra Nevada, all over the uk including BPW, trail centres and natural riding.

Great all-rounder

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what bike i want…’ is closed to new replies.