Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tell me tales of lovely late September Lakes rides
  • Pook

Indian summers, glorious days, that kind of thing….

This was last weekend. We’re considering a return journey after we abandoned the entire weekend.

[video]http://vimeo.com/179593621[/video]

flyingmonkeycorps

Not got any photos ‘cos I’m at work but some of the best rides I’ve ever had in the Lakes have been Spring / Autumn. We did Nan Bield last year via Yoke in October on a perfect still clear day that was just the right kind of warm, Walna Scar and a different (longer) route from Staveley this Spring and I reckon we may well be up again this Autumn (though we’ve recently discovered the wonders of Swaledale, so maybe not).

Also it’s nice to know that there’s always the option of Grizedale if the weather is poop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trick with the lakes is matching the terrain to the weather. If it’s wet stick to the rocks and the hard stuff. Also there is no such thing as the wrong weather just the wrong clothes 😉

fergal
    Free Member

^^^^ I smell BS, if it’s wet and blowing a gale change plans, riding in the high mountains in the conditions above is just not pleasant, no matter what you are wearing…the all time classics should be savoured like a good wine, not endured through gritted teeth.

Looks like a good mountaineering decision was made Pook, attack! no runaway.

qwerty
    Free Member

Your doomed. The best weather will be the first weekend in September. When we’re going.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is heaps more to the lakes than the high mountains… Just need to know where to look.

wors

We are up the last weekend of September for our annual biking trip. If it’s like that the pubs will be taking a hammering!

whitestone
    Free Member

@fergal. Not really BS, the wrong weather/clothes quip is a long standing mountain/outdoor saying, matching terrain and ride to the weather is key.

last weekend Saturday was blowing a hoolie so something like the Loughrigg-Iron Keld loop would have been fine. Sunday was much nicer and you could have headed up high. Clothing permitting of course 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

last weekend Saturday was blowing a hoolie so something like the Loughrigg-Iron Keld loop would have been fine.

A great bad weather day and close to Ambleside to get warmed up, Grizedale off piste is another one

lowey

We are up the last weekend of September for our annual biking trip. If it’s like that the pubs will be taking a hammering!

They wont be the only things taking a hammering if the weather is crap.

Nice Vid Pook… see it as getting good weather karma points in the bank.

I’m up there with Wors and w few others. We usually go early June, so hoping for the best really.

fergal
    Free Member

YES it’s a very much an over used cliche, if you wish to have a good day in the high mountains! and the weather is not playing ball, make alternative plans, this could be the pub or something less commiting, Pook had been enquiring about the best technical descents.

At the weekend i was on the Ben,everything was seeping and in the clag, so we did a very wet Tower ridge, good to be out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

YES it’s a very much an over used cliche, if you wish to have a good day in the high mountains!

As my post said match the terrain to the weather, there is so much good low level stuff out there, ullswater lake shore is good unless it’s flooding, all the low level Ambleside stuff, some good West lakes, more elsewhere. Just make sure your good in the wet (good clothes) and you will be fine. No need to venture into the high mountains, think we did a great night out Buttermere and ennerdale in gale force winds and heavy rain.

fergal
    Free Member

Change the record, do you work for the tourist board, not everybody wants to mince around the valley, if i’m planning on riding in the Lakes, it’s on the tops.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No I spent a good few years living there and loved the great riding not on the tops as much as the other stuff, guess if you don’t try it you will never know. Done the ullswater lake shore? Or the Ambleside stuff or the Grizedale stuff?

whitestone
    Free Member

Err, where in Pook’s post did he enquire about “the best technical descents”? (I don’t have audio on ATM so it may be mentioned in the video – at work!)

fergal
    Free Member

Jeeze he was asking a few days ago, Must dash.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

6th September, last year:

Rubbish, it was.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough, a lot of the best techie bits are not on the tops either…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mikewsmith – valleymincer! 😆 😆

jekkyl

I had myself a solo trip up the lakes last september, planning another this year too. First day I did the Walna Scar ride, a repeat visit since I had started it the winter before and called it off half way round. So I did the route, had a great day out in the sun, didn’t think much of the route. Went on and stayed in keswick YHA, had tea then went out again and cycled over Walla crag and back to Keswick. The 2nd day I had planned on the borrowdale bash with extras over to Buttermere but it was raining heavily so I sat in the car in Whinlatter carpark till it stopped. I did all 3 loops incl the north twice and then travelled to my accomodation… Buttermere YHA. After tea I put the lights on and cycled round Buttermere and a little bit along crummock water path then a bit up the newlands valley road and back again. I had a great time! You meet all sorts staying in YHAs and this is part of the appeal for me.

fergal
    Free Member

Crivens i’m being sucked in! What goes up must go down.

rogermoore

Had a great weekend biking out of Coniston end of last September, weather was fine! Was up there camping this weekend – Saturday afternoon was the pits, good work on getting out in that!
    RM.

Pook

whitestone – about three weeks ago i was looking for a good all dayer. We made an attempt at a honister loop/angle tarn way but it was blowing a proper gale and torrential rain. The video didn’t show the knee deep crossings later or the flooded valley.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

What a difference a day makes….. most locals have a decent weather app on the phone and ride to “try” to get the best of the conditions.
    if its wild keep it low level and possibly in the trees better days for open fells and higher peaks.

Last Sunday late afternoon riding in short sleeves

secret singletrack

second summit of the day on a nice dry 25 mile loop

tomaso
    Free Member

My birthday ride from the Drunken Duck has been sweet sunshine the last three years running.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tell me tales of lovely late September Lakes rides’ is closed to new replies.