Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • tell me is kirroughtree worth riding?
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

as above should i trek up from the peaks to do a scottish xc race?
    is it a good area?
    thanks
    Bruce

crazy-legs

Best of the 7Stanes IMHO.

The final 2-mile singletrack descent is SO good – 10 Around Kirroughtree is the only enduro race I've seen where people are desperate to get out and do another lap just for that final bit of trail. 🙂

Northwind

Kirroughtree is one of the best places I've ever ridden. Assuming you're coming up for 10 at Kirroughtree? Not entirely sure I'd recommend that, I'd say come up some other weekend and ride the full red and black instead, you'll not see a lot of the best parts of the place on race day. It'll be a great day for the race mind but it'd be a real shame to go all that way and not see the best of it.

andrewh
    Free Member

I'm going up from Lincolnshire for it. The SXC courses are generally the best around. Not been to Kirroughtree before though.
    If you get the chance try Badaguish or Contin.

boxelder

Depends where the race goes – you can bet it won't be McMoab etc.
    K'tree is fantastic, but a long way from the Peak.

forge197
    Free Member

Great trail one of the best around, not sure what route the SXC race takes and if it has "extra" natural bits.

That aside the red and black is excellent many great sections, did the whole lot on Friday was so good and running really well.

tall_martin

The trail is great fun, Just think what else would would you do that day?

Trekster

bikerbruce – Member
    as above should i trek up from the peaks to do a scottish xc race?
    is it a good area?

Yes & yes assuming you might want to come up and stay over and do a bit more riding. No singletrack, moors type riding like you are used to but on your way through Dumfries & Galloway you could take in Mabie, Ae or Dalbeattie + the full Kirry route.
    So yes, worth the trip if you make a weekend of it.
    Even if you are south of Manchester it is a 4hr or so journey.

I am heading down to the Peaks 20/21st, staying and riding from Hathersage with some mates from down there.

sheldona
    Free Member

Its my favourite of the 7Stanes

carbon337
    Free Member

im just back from there today, it was good and i think the outbound red and the black up to McMoab is best – the return just never really flows for me – lots of ups that just keep stopping you and breaking the flow. Dont get me wrong there are a few tasty flowing downs on the run back but it promises you a fast flowy long descent but never delivers.

jimmy

Its a great trail and the singletrack on the return leg of the black is awesome. However, my preference for Peak riding might or might not be known by now. If you go for a good ride in the Peaks you're not missing much for the 7ish hours of driving you'll have to get to K'tree. If that makes any sense at all.

Trekster

jimmy – Member
    Its a great trail and the singletrack on the return leg of the black is awesome. However, my preference for Peak riding might or might not be known by now. If you go for a good ride in the Peaks you're not missing much for the 7ish hours of driving you'll have to get to K'tree. If that makes any sense at all.

Must admit I prefer putting any race entry fees towards fuel for a good day out on the hills wherever they may be 😆

Fancy a ride on 20th from Hathersage Jimmy?

Dougal
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is awesome, definitely worth taking the day before/after the race to ride all of the red/black.

SXC course is OK, not a huge fan myself as it lasts any big climbs or super-tech stuff. Does have some awesome natural bits though, and the final descent is good. A lot of other people love it though, so horses for courses I guess.

Andrewh – Looking forward to seeing you and catching up.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yup, my favourite 'Stane. Definitely worth a visit.

mt
    Free Member

It's great! The final downhill is great. Cafe is crap though.

Northwind

Ah man, don't slate the cafe, I'll love them forever for having gluten free stuff. Everywhere else I've ever ridden all I can have is a baked potato or an icecream :mrgreen:

ahwiles
    Free Member

you could describe kirroughtree as a 10k climb, followed by a 10k descent.

you could, only, the 10k climb also has some really nice descents.

i can't figure it out either.

soulrider
    Free Member

am not reading all the above..

but Kirro is the best trail centre in scotland for the trails..
    the most natural man made trail going..

RRD
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is definitely worth it.

Not sure about the SXC route and not too sure how you will fit others in around the race. You could definitely do a weekend taking in Ae, Mabie, Kirroughtree, Dalbeattie etc.

Rorschach
    Free Member

"the only enduro race I've seen where people are desperate to get out and do another lap just for that final bit of trail"
    Second that-it was the only thought of that,that kept me going for 10 hours!!

J0N
    Free Member

Wonderful trail. Was there on Saturday.

'the return just never really flows for me'

I disagree. The return is like a rollercoaster ride. Granted if your tired it can feel difficult but if you have enough energy then its brilliant.
    I recommend starting at McMoab and doing it from half way. Then you get to stop at the cafe half way round and you are fully charged for the best part of the trail. The first climb may hurt though. 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

The return is like a rollercoaster ride. Granted if your tired it can feel difficult but if you have enough energy then its brilliant.

yep, absolutely blinding if you put some effort in. it's no sit back and roll downhill – you really have to put everything into it to get the most out of it & that means a lot of pedalling. i've only done it once & i remember finishing the loop and being completely exhausted, but also the only time i ever felt i had worked my bike to it's full potential. loved it & heading back up there next month.

davy-g
    Free Member

I am not really that good at MTB, but kirrie is my local haunt.. here are a few vids of some of the trail sections…. http://www.vimeo.com/user449600/videos

also check out the Nutcracker/white witch as they are part of Kirrie..

trail_rat
    Free Member

remind me – does the kirroughtree sxc course use the steep 2 level climb that is used in 10 @ Kirroughtree ?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

its good, but I prefer Glentress. 😉

RevWill
    Free Member

soulrider

but Kirro is the best trail centre in scotland for the trails..
    the most natural man made trail going..

Its good and all, but surely you are getting it confused with Drumlanrig if you think its the most natural man-made trail going?

soulrider
    Free Member

Rev Will – I have never ridden Drumlanrig

jimmy

Trekster – Member

Fancy a ride on 20th from Hathersage Jimmy?

Live in Edinburgh, used to be Sheffield. Would love to ride on 20th from Hathersage but must be here… Next time.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Kirry"s the best man made trail that i have ridden.

Dougal
    Free Member

trail_rat – Here's the map from last year's SXC. The course is apparently 'tougher' this year. By 2-level climb do you mean the super-steep one on the return of 10atK? If so, no, you join the descent just after that.

http://www.thebreakpad.com/sxckirroughtree0.html

DaRC_L

Loved Kirroughtree – esp BlackCraigs it was definitely worth driving up from sunny Sussex to ride it and being end-of-summer fit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that all i needed to know dougal – as you know what im up to 😉

10pmix
    Free Member

Love Kirroughtree which has some nice black bits here and there (The 'Chute' on McMoab is a thrill) but its is hard work. The suggestion to start at McMoab and get some supplies on board half way round is a great idea. Doing that next time for sure..

carbon337
    Free Member

10pmix

+1 for that route too – sounds like a far better idea

I was wrecked by the end and didnt get to appreciate it too much. I will return soon and try it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘tell me is kirroughtree worth riding?’ is closed to new replies.