Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me if this is a good bike spec!
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

Morning STW’ers…. need your advice. my LBS has 2nd hand FS Rocky Mountain for sale for £1100. It’s a bit of a custom build by the shop owners son, and is in good nick. I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to what component’s are good bad etc, so wouldn’t mind your thoughts on the following spec :

Rocky Mountain ETS-X 50 frameset built with Easton Custom tubing.
    Fox RP3 rear shock.
    Fox Vanilla R forks.
    FSA headset.
    Rocky Mountain stem.
    Easton MonkeyLite carbon bars.
    Bontrager Lock-On grips.
    RaceFace Evolve XC seatpost.
    Bontrager Inform saddle.
    Hope M4 brakes.
    Mavic CrossRide wheelset.
    Bontrager Jones XR tyres.
    LX nine speed shifters.
    XT rear mech.
    Deore front mech.
    RaceFace Evolve chainset.
    XT bottom bracket.
    Crank Bros. Mallet pedals.
    KMC chain.
    Hope wheel skewers.
    Hope Q/R seat collar.

cheers ears…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

looks okay. If it was mine then the first things I’d junk would be:

– pedals
    – Hope skewers
    – and fit my saddle of choice

then I’d see if the bars were wide enough, check the stem length, and try out the brakes as I’ve never been that impressed with the Hopes. I’d give the tyres a run out and adjust from there.

robowns
    Free Member

I would say absolutely not worth £1100.

Too old, you’d get one much better on here for less.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

cheers, i’d wondered that too. even online there seems to be some pretty good deals at the mo, CRC doing Ghosts at 50% it looks like.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah, my comments were on the spec, not the pricing….

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a set of Macic Crossrides which were on my Meta5. They flex a lot. I wouldn’t run them on anything but a lightweight XC race bike, and even then I’d rather spend the extra and get some crests on pro2 or similar.

I could pull mine side-to-side by about in inch when they were on the bike, oh and if you snap a spoke they are a bitch to get hold of. I had import some from Germany, at 6 for £15.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I bought my 2010 Anthem X for £750 on the bikeradar classifieds which has full XT,Fox F100RL forks,an RP23 and so on.Mine`s much more an XC machine but the spec is broadly similar.

Id say the RMs a nice bike but not worth £1100.You could get a new 20102/2011 MY bike from Pauls cycles or buy a new Canyon for similar or not much more.

I love buyinbg secondhand bikes but I know from epxerience that a fork or shock service,and some new drivetrain bits quickly add up so make sure you the savings outweigh the potential servicing costs.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I sold one in a shop about a year ago, same frame & similar spec.
    Like new condition & managed to scrape £600 for it to give you my idea of value.
    Nice bikes though, they ride well enough if a little dated now.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Canyon Nerve

Compare the spec of the new bike above…………..

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

wow, that puts it into context… cheers for all the toughts. That canyon looks nice..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me if this is a good bike spec!’ is closed to new replies.