Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Tell me I bought the right frame size…
  • kaltsoplyn
    Free Member

Ok, so I bought this hardtail frame in small size. The seller lad was very helpful and, after consulting the manufacturer, kindly suggested that it should be ok for a guy my size. But I would like some more reassurance from people of similar size/setup.

I’m 5’9″ and, although companies regularly recommend medium sized frames, I almost always end up happily in large ones. That’s for road bikes. I like the space, the stability and, honestly, I find they are plain prettier. Now, being totally new to mountain biking etc, I understand that in a hardtail one needs maneuverability and quick handling above all, but a small? a small? Will it not be too cramped? (add to the equation that I have a 60mm/0 deg stem I’m planning to use and I always prefer riser bars over flat ones). So, what do you good folks think?

Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends…leg length & actual frame size needed.

Some giants run tiny frames but it’s a personal thing.

Can you have a go?

firestarter
    Free Member

depends what it is really. i ride a large cx but a small h/t , also a small 29er and a medium full sus. oh another 54cm cx too and a 55cm road bike. make of that what you will 😉 and to be a smart arse a 20″ unicycle lol

oldgit
    Free Member

What frame is it?

shmuk
    Free Member

I am 6′ tall, ~32″ (I think) inside leg measurement & ride a ‘medium’ (18″) hardtail fitted with a 50mm/0deg stem & riser bar.

Depending on the frame and your leg length it’s likely a ‘small’ will be right for you.

However, it will also depend on your preferred riding position, which I guess you don’t know yet, this being your first MTB…

Were/are you able to test ride a bike with a similar sized frame?

kaltsoplyn
    Free Member

ok, it’s a sirius 16.5″
    Inseam is about 31″.
    Pretty sure I prefer a kind of upright stance; handlebar level or above saddle.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’m 5’10″btw

MS
    Free Member

Im basically the same as shmuk, ride 18″ fun bike (80mm stem) however I have a 19″ race bike with a 110 stem.

Personally I would say a medium would be better

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends what you use it for. Im 6’2″ but ride a 17.5inch frame.

A longer stem may be better for you?

oldgit
    Free Member

Dunno who makes the Sirius?
    I’m 5’8″ and ride a medium Giant, shed loads of exposed post and a 110mm stem
    Piccy in ads somewhere

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

‘You’ve bought the right frame size’

(If that’s what you want to hear?)

kaltsoplyn
    Free Member

@sh1tforbrains : phew, thanks man! I needed that.

crankboy
    Free Member

Do you feel comfortable on it ? If so it’s likely to be right.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My inside leg is also 31 but I’m 6 inches taller than you. I ride a 19 inch hardtail. I’m just wondering if you’ll be able to get the seat up high enough without getting a longer seat post.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Is the specialized sirius not a hybrid?

kaltsoplyn
    Free Member

@baldSpot: heh, you’re right, it is. But this is the pipedream sirius I’m talking about. Sorry.

I_Ache
    Free Member

You will be fine with a small. Im 6ft and while I would be more comfortable on a large bike for all day riding I ride a medium because it is more fun. I used to ride a 16″ 456 too so at 5’9 I would recommend a small.

takisawa2

5’9″ here. Found small Soul too small, but 16″ Inbred ok but lots of post showing. 18″ 29er Inbred now, fits lovely & feels spot on. Will fit, well it will when I swap the 90mm stem for a 70mm one.
    IMO 5’9″ is a difficult size & fit will vary from bikle to bike. I built up an old 18″ GT over the Winter but found that too big, despite a shorter top-tube than the Inbred.

druidh
    Free Member

The average height of a UK male is 5’9″. Unless bike designers are deliberately skewing their designs in favour of taller folk, I’d suggest you are looking at a Medium.

scaredypants

The average height of a UK male is 5’9″

that includes kids, right ? 😯

kaltsoplyn
    Free Member

@druidh: They are not skewing designs; as I said, any big company would recommend a medium to me. But I realise a lot of people are being very happy on smaller mountain bikes. Besides, I’m probably in-between sizes anyway.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’d suspect a medium would be the best ‘traditional’ fit but current trends seem to be to ride a frame that’s bordering on too small but with 300mm+ of seat post and a handful of headset spacers.

Makes it more ‘chuckable’ apparently…..

druidh
    Free Member

hilldodger – Member
    I’d suspect a medium would be the best ‘traditional’ fit but current trends seem to be to ride a frame that’s bordering on too small but with 300mm+ of seat post and a handful of headset spacers.

Makes it more ‘chuckable’ apparently…..But surely any bike designer worth their salt would be taking the likely use of the bike into account and still designing the “Medium” one to be for Mr Average height.

druidh
    Free Member

kaltsoplyn – Member

@druidh
    : They are not skewing designs; as I said, any big company would recommend a medium to me. But I realise a lot of people are being very happy on smaller mountain bikes. Besides, I’m probably in-between sizes anyway.

OK – “you bought the right size.” That’s what you wanted to hear, right?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ as well and while do have one bike that’s a small (BFe) I’d find them too short for general riding so all the rest are mediums.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

TT length on a small Sirius is 580mm which is similar to a small On One.

I’m 5’9″ and ride a 17.5″ (medium) Genesis Altitude which has a 585 TT and fits me fine with plenty of room.

Being 5′ 9″ is a pain in the arse for bike fits as it’s generally between sizes. Hope that all makes sence!!

Edit. I ride a 54cm Road Bike.

kaltsoplyn
    Free Member

@druidh: “OK – “you bought the right size.” That’s what you wanted to hear, right?”

Yes, thank you.

Seriously man, I bought a frame. Through the internet. Never seen it. Never ridden a mountain bike in the, well, the mountains. I just want to. I bought a small one when I’m usually buying medium to large. Thought I’d do so because I see a lot of people in the MTB world riding smaller frames than what their size would suggest. I said “hey, why not”. Counter-intuitively, it was AFTERWARDS that I thought I’d ask how these people feel about it. Anybody can drop in and toss an opinion. I absorb everything. Hope you don’t find this waste of bandwidth too insulting.

funkynick

I’m a tiny bit shorter than you and ride a 16″ Inbred, which feels just about perfect in size for me, so you might be okay on a 16.5″ Sirius…

However, it will almost always depend on your actual proportions…

adrianmurray
    Free Member

Also dep[ends what sort of riding you;ll be doing as well as your size and personal preference.

More XC orientated people tend to favour larger.
    More All Mountain orinetated folk go smaller / more ‘chuckable’.

The 60mm stem you propose is pretty short, firmly in the All Mountain category I’d say. But if you’re on a relatively small frame the last thing you’d want is a short-ish stem.

No one want to suggest the Sheldon Brown bike fit?

freeridenick
    Free Member

I am 5.9

15.5 inch PA
    16.5 Kobe
    17.5 inch remedy
    all with short 50mm stem
    I like my bikes to have plenty of standover and not to long top tube.
    The PA is fairly long (22.5)same as the Remedy which i do find a touch to tall after my PA.

Kobe is only 21.25 top tube so really a fun play bike type thing.

palmer77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call 16 1/2 small, more medium?

carlossal
    Free Member

Hi, the 16″ Sirius is the medium size I believe. I’m 5’10ish with 31″ inside leg and the size is bang on, being both stable and chuckable. Adjust any size issue with a suitable stem and it should be a great ride.
    Enjoy

Carl

5lab

I always ride bikes a ‘size down’. I’m 6’3 and my last 5 bikes have been :

16″
    17″
    17.5″
    17″
    17″

Try it, if you find it fine, you find it fine. you can find tune things by putting a longer stem/layback post on it, but I think you’ll be alright

H

nuke

Given it varies from rider to rider as seen above (I’m the same height and ride a 16″ Inbred and also a 17″ PA), the only way to find out is to ride it and, if after a few of your regular rides, you’re hankering for a 120mm stem and a layback seatpost, then yes, in all probability, an 18″ would have suited you better

4ndyB
    Free Member

5’9″ 31″ inside leg

Currently own

16″ KHS hardtail
    17″ Orange Clockwork
    18″ Cube AMS100
    18″ Orange 5

Have owned

17″ Orange Gringo
    18″ Orange 5
    17″ Scott Peak
    and plenty of other frames ranging from 16″-18″

They all fitted me with some degree of tweaking to the saddle position and stem length

Top tube length & standover are both important measurements too

IA

I always ride bikes a ‘size down’. I’m 6’3 and my last 5 bikes have been :

16″
    17″
    17.5″
    17″
    17″

OTOH I’m 6’4″ and even my DH bikes aren’t that small! Somewhere around a 22″ frame is about right for me. So as you can see, the answer to the “right size” depends on a lot more than just height.

oldgit
    Free Member

Wow surprised at the above.
    I’m 5’8″ and ride a medium or 18″ I used to ride small as that was what the gumph said I should ride. Then during a race a Giant pro actually shouted out that my frame was too small on his way past, I had always felt a little undersized? and that comment was the last straw. I then soloed an 18″ Rig with a 100mm stem and it was sooo right I’ve stuck with that size since.
    It should be known that I’m a old school wheels on the ground no stopping XC type.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Tell me I bought the right frame size…’ is closed to new replies.