Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about…..Newcastle
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

In particular, where to stay. Looking for recommendations for a good hotel, preferably in the city centre. Going for a short break with the missus, as she's from Geordie stock and she's not been back for years.

I know the city has changed a lot since I was there last (probably 15 years ago) so any suggestions about places to eat, or places to see would be much appreciated.

Howay man !

toons
    Free Member

Malmaison on the quayside

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Hilton in the 'Heed on the other side of the river, just next to the Tyne Bridge and the Sage and all that jazz.

Nice pubs – Crown Posada on The Side, almost under the Tyne Bridge. Also its worth the nice stroll down river past all the flats to the Ouseburn valley – The Tyne pub is great, with a beer garden under a bridge arch, live bands and stuff. Just above it on the bankside is the Free Trade with the best views of the river of any pub in Newcastle. The Cluny is just a minutes walk away too.

As for places to eat: Greggs, you are in the Toon after all.

Stuff to do except boozing: The Sage and the Baltic Gallery are worth a look, and you can combine this with a nice walk down the river to the Ouseburn as mentioned above. Loads of gallerys in the centre of town and the Hancock Museum is worth a look but it's years since I've been Oh, and if you're into bikes of the motorized variety take a trip up Westgate Road. Brum brum!

Woody
    Free Member

If you are near the river and like Indian food then Sachins just up from the quayside will not disappoint.

Mackem

stay in Durham instead.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

But not Sunderland. Never stay in Sunderland.

Mackem

..agree, never, never Sunderland.

qcamel
    Free Member

Jesmond Dene House Hotel is a nice place in a lovely setting but car required, same goes for Hotel du Vin (although it has stunning views), Malmaison is OK but its bloody dark, great if your a mole or a hooker but a little oppressive after a while. Avoid the other hotels in Jesmond, they are stag do/hen party and pretty low rent. Hilton is another one with great views and then the Niche Hotel on Grey street has a fab location but not sure about the rooms.

Barluga is a nice Gastro Bar on Gray Street, Nudo is a great Asian restaurant thats a real hidden gem on Low Friar Street, The Theatre Royal is stunning if there is anything on worth seeing. Another +1 for the Sage, THe Baltic and also Laing Art Gallery. Local coastline is worth a visit, some amazing beaches 20 miles north. Also loads of great riding if you have the opportunity.

Probably best to avoid St James Park, its a bit depressing these days…….

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Cheers all. I'll check out Hotel Du Vin and Grey St. Might do Durham on the way back as we'll be in the car.

Yeah , went to Sunderland once, which was one time too many 😀

Hopeing to get to the Theatre as well, depending on whats's playing.

Why, I cannae wait man !

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Check out the Journal Tyne Theatre too, they sometimes have decent stuff on:

http://www.thejournaltynetheatre.co.uk/events/view.aspx?event=4155&ru=%2fevents%2fDefault.aspx

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about…..Newcastle’ is closed to new replies.