Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Tell me about……..Leicester……
  • harrytoo
    Free Member

Being dragged to Leicester for two days a week on a work placement starting August until Christmas,

Have never been to that neck of the woods before, so what are the highlights, lowlights, where should I look to stay? is it worth taking the bike?

Any advice welcome…..

kayak23

Leicester has a pretty good jump/bmx track in Western Park, Bradgate Park is nice to walk around, otherwise, it ain’t the Mae West…

chiefgrooveguru

First multicultural city on Earth apparently!

MikeG

take a road bike not a mountain bike, I’ve never lived anywhere with less bridleways, there aren’t many cheeky trails either.
    SE bit is probably the best but really it is all a bit of a s***hole.

transapp
    Free Member

It’s shite. Utter utter shite. I moved 12 years ago and don’t regret it for a second! Having said that, it’s pretty good for a curry. As above, take a road bike

dryroasted
    Free Member

I live in scotland now but did live in leicester for quite a while. best places i found to ride are swithland woods,bradgate park, western park, martinshaw woods , and thringstone woods.

iain1775
    Free Member

dryroasted +1
    dont personally know Leicester as I’m more Derby but have ridden all those (largly cheeky) places and they can fill a few hours, which is plenty long enough when you have cannock or the Peaks within 60-90 mintes drive for anything more serious

Bradgate Park is nice for a walk / family day out too

harrytoo
    Free Member

No family walks or possibility to commute 60 miles for a ride, this is the full Alan Partridge style travel lodge existence…..

Doesn’t sound hopefull!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Leicester is a shithole. For one…..I live nearby. That should be enough to put you off.

It’s not worth taking your bike, the last time my brother went BMXing there he had to fight off a dozen Somalian lads (with only one mate to help) who tried to rob his bike.

A friend of mine was just murdered by 13 year olds, they beat him to death in the street last saturday for refusing to sell them alcohol.

Enjoy. If you want a nice day out and an easy XC ride, your best bet would be to get on the train to Oakham and cycle round Rutland water. It’s rather pretty. Within striking distance by car are also Sherwood forest (okay), Wakerly (meh), Cannock Chase (good) and Chicksands (good).

_tom_
    Free Member

Lived there for 3 years at uni and I liked it. Not amazing but it’s small enough that all pubs, bars etc are in easy walking distance. Western Park is awesome if you’re into jumps. The guys who build the jumps there are sound as well. Places in the centre and around the uni’s are good for street if you’re into bmx at all. Not anything to ride a mtb on though unless you like jumping on 26″.

Edukator
    Free Member

In my life I have had two bikeless years, one in Leicester and one in Barcelona. I walked or drove everywhere in Leicester, be careful on the buses. I disagree about multicultural, one token white does not make a class of 30 kids of the same ethnic origin multicultural.

rOcKeTdOg

Has no one mentioned crisps yet?

alanl
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s a bleak picture painted of Leicester.
    I’ve lived here all my life, albeit not in the city centre.
    Yes, it’s true, there are very few MTB paths/routes within riding distance. There must be 20 bridlepaths within 2 miles of me, yet they all have gates every few hundred metres, making a ride out exceedingly tedious.
    The minor roads South are pleasant for road riding, very few cars around.
    As for the violence, maybe I’ve lived in a sheltered cocoon, but I’ve never experienced anything as described above.
    There are some areas where I wouldn’t think of living in,but nowhere where I would not visit, or go to do jobs there.

Traffic is bloody awful. It is on a par with central London – yes really. Nowhere else (but London) has such a badly designed road system. So try and get somewhere close to where you are working.

zimbo
    Free Member

A friend of mine was just murdered by 13 year olds, they beat him to death in the street last saturday for refusing to sell them alcohol.

Seriously Bwaarp sorry to hear about your mate, but this can’t be representative of a city.

transapp
    Free Member

I would say that Leicester had more casual violence than anywhere else Ive been. Are you looking at my pint type brawls, but that’s still shocking.

PiknMix
    Free Member

refuse to come,

its a s h i t hole

there is no riding (even the road stuff is pants) the people are cunty, the only way you would manage to have fun is if you bring a play bike and hang out at weston park, that’s literally the highlight of living in the depressing hellish scrotum of the uk

dannyh
    Free Member

I live near Leicester and the first thing I would say is try to be ‘billeted’ out of the city, but on a train line.

There is good(ish) MTBing to be had, but you need to ride the naughty stuff early to avoid being chased by rangers (aka the fun police). You can string together a reasonable 60% offroad route of 20 miles in Charnwood Forest if you don’t mind riding footpaths and outrunning rangers in landrovers (anyone local knows where I am talking about). I can do a 110m height gain climb pretty much out of my front door, where there’s hills, there’s thrills – you just have to avoid people who want to clamp down on any form of enjoyment at all.

I have to agree with the ‘casual violence’ quote, though. I often said to my uni mates when we went out in Newcastle that there were lots of scuffles in the Bigg Market, but that they were almost governed by some unwritten code, in Leicester, there would have been at least ten people involved.

I’ve been out on the lash in countless towns and cities in Britain, and the only place I’ve been that’s more intimidating is Oldham. You know, that kind of ‘there’s something bubbling under the surface in this place and it’s going to kick off’ feeling you get.

On the plus sides, though – very, very good for a curry and all manner of indian food and the best rugby team in the country!

transapp
    Free Member

dannyh has it pretty well summed up. If you end up south of Leicester, there’s a town called Market Harborough which my brother is manager of the LBS, the owner runs a MTB club that I helped set up years ago, Cats MTB. They do regular rides so could be worth looking up. Train into the center of Leicester is sub 15m I think

Kuco

transapp is that the bike shop opposite Emerson & Wests that do the loverly hot pork and beef rolls?

transapp
    Free Member

yep, that’s the one

Kuco

Keep meaning to pop and have a look when i’m over that way.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had the odd scrap in my uni days in Leicester, loved my time there, can’t ever remember it being the centre of violence tho! It is 15 yrs ago tho and I do remember back then tbe odd bit of racial tension!

chamberlain30
    Free Member

Lived around the area on and off all my life and can’t say I’ve ever felt intimidated ever when I’ve been out. Lots of cultures mixing together well on the whole. It is no different to any other city in the country, they all have areas that are a bit dodgy just be careful if you go to them. . . . . . . Thinking about it I am hard a nails though! 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

ell me about……..Leicester……

It’s the capital of India … no?

😆

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not exactly soft but quit (as in walked out with my girlfriend in tow half way through a class) a Leicester school rather than have to defend myself (which given the way the system works would have resulted in me being suspended and prosectuted rather than the thugs). My female head of department had already been punched in the face by the thug and there was a burnt out car in the teachers’ car park (the thug was threatening to burn my car amongst other things). I would like to thank the thugs for provoking some of the best decisions I’ve ever made – including leaving Leicester.

_tom_
    Free Member

Never once felt unsafe in Leicester, you guys must have been in some really shit areas!

donsimon
    Free Member

Did a pub refurb on Belvoir Street many years ago. They pronounce it Beaver Street, crazy cats, all of them!

Stoner
    Free Member

I used to live at the top of Belvoir Bank, pronounced Beaver Bank.

Smart people them leicesertshirians.

transapp
    Free Member

Oh yes, mate of mine had a hair dressers on belvoir street. Not a bad area and close to the bars etc. I lived near to Filbert street, and then on East Park Road, both quite shit areas, however all my scrapes were nowhere near where I lived and in the bars in the city centre (both the normal and the Indian centres)
    Still freakin hate the place.

Don’t think im helping the op somehow!

redthunder
    Free Member

Cheese ?

Edukator
    Free Member

Avoid

Google “beaumont leys assault” if you doubt the above posters who point to high levels of violence in parts of the city.

xterramac
    Free Member

Lived in leic for most of my life,cant say im sorry to have it in the rear view mirror now though, martin shaw woods, trails round mount sorrel and the bomb hole near croft hill are all good sports for a ride.
    As for it being rough in the town, it can get bad (match days,jd sports sale,etc) but no worse than anywhere else ive lived, malvern, london and dorset inc, everywhere has chav’s and scum bags these days, just a sad fact,,,, But I wouldnt let the stories posted above put you off altogether

donsimon
    Free Member

Smart people them leicesertshirians.

Smart? I bet they drop the second syllable too? 🙄

organdonor
    Free Member

St. Matthews – statistically the most income deprived area of Britain

Edit: Beaumont Leys – pah, there’s a police station there. Even the police daren’t take on the Somalian gangs in St Matthews…

aa
    Free Member

wow, leicester sounds bad, but to be fair, i feel uneasy there these days, i’ve never found unease on ethnics grounds, but the mix is different now.

The ridings not great, the ‘decent’ places have been named but theres round staunton harold which is ok.

I dont agree with the crapness of road riding, in my part of leics, there great lanes stretching to hinckley and into warks, you can go east into the wreake and onto rutland and south leics is nice. Really good road scene also.

Ashbyalien

aa
    Free Member

organdonor,

when i was in lri having my elbow reattached i was in abed next to a st matthews scag head. He’d broke his leg jumping over the railings on the inner ring road, got his foot caught in the top and ripped his leg apart.

organdonor
    Free Member

aa,

nice.

When I was in LRI having a cast taken off my arm, the guy before me in reception to have his (arm) cast removed had the exact same name as me…

Leicester – a place of wonderful coincidences?

aa
    Free Member

lol.

Lri, not a happy place to be.

Lovely aneathnatist (sp) aa i remember

bwaarp
    Free Member

Also, everyone in Leicester is **** ugly. During a day out in the city center…One in about 100 women is attractive or non-obese, on a day out in Oxford, even in the parts around Blackbird Leys, it’s more like 1 in 10.

I feel attractive in Leicester and I look a bit like Pete Doherty which tells you something. :mrgreen:

bwaarp
    Free Member

BTW, where are all these illegal trails? I need to find them! Can anyone suggest some more decent rides in the Leicestershire region? Or want to meet up for a ride? I don’t mind dodging rangers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about……..Leicester……’ is closed to new replies.