Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tell me about…dishwashers
  • benz
    Free Member

So, existing dishwasher door-lock appears to have given up the ghost. It’s 5 years old.

Espares have locks for £30 but replacing it appears not so easy as their Youtube clip suggests. Local repairer have call-out charge plus potential cost of part and their time to replace.

So, torn between replacing part or buying new dishwasher from the likes of CostCo.

So…any benefit in buying a Bosch or similar high-end model or sticking to the existing Hotpoint Aquarius….?

Bit like XTR v Deore question really….

Thanks!

geoffj

The only thing I will look for in a new dishwasher, is a split clamp form for the spray arms. Ours get clogged and can’t easily be cleaned out. The ability to split them and clean them would be amazeballs.

*sad I know

franksinatra

Just been through similar. Our machine was 6 years old and when I actually sat back and thought about the amount of use and abuse it had during that time I concluded it not worth gambling on a repair.

Got next day delivery from AO with Quidco cashback as well. Got a Beiko machine for about £360. Got some good features as well, internal LED lights, variable height top drawer and a utensils tray at the very top. Best of all, it washed dishes so I don’t have to and that is a good thing

zero faffing, didn’t wait around for engineer, parts or unknown costs. Accurate delivery slot from AO, they took the old machine away and the guys chucked me a spare wast hose from the back of the van as they saw I was re-plumbing my washing machine whilst they were there.

Phil_H

Our Beko died recently, 5 years old and would stop half way through a cycle. Checked the pump & the door lock, both ok.
    A repair was going to be around £100 vs £200 for a new machine.
    Mrs H decided on a new machine.

Drac

The only thing I will look for in a new dishwasher, is a split clamp form for the spray arms. Ours get clogged and can’t easily be cleaned out. The ability to split them and clean them would be amazeballs.

Not just me then.

Our Bosch is about 7 years old now and with the exception of the above it never missed a beat.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Get a basic Bosch, about £300.

The simpler the better. Mine has 4 wash programmes and very few blinking lights.

martymac

I bought a bottom of the range beko about 10/12 years ago, the timer failed under warranty, got fixed.
    The door switch failed a few years later, i bypassed it, which meant you had to turn it off before opening the door.
    Not bad for £150 quid.
    Id buy a cheap one personally, but I don’t mind getting dirty and fixing something, ymmv.

Edit: as noted above, simpler is better.

leffeboy

Tray at top for cutlery is nice

Drac

Basic Bosch job here too.

MrOvershoot

gobuchul – Member

The simpler the better. Mine has 4 wash programmes and very few blinking lights.

That +1000 ours is 14 years old and has been used almost every day

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Basic Bosch here too. I think it was about £260. My first basic bosch lasted 15 years before it was replaced when we got the kitchen done – it was still going strong at that point and flogged it on eBay. Got another when we got the extension done and kitchen re-done.

sheeps

Our Bosch lasted 10 years…when it broke, and as we’re looking at moving we bought a cheap Kenwood to tied us over (leaving it) for 6 months.

Massive mistake, poor washing quality, and seems to take a lot less stuff inside for the same size

shuhockey
    Free Member

Where are you? As next week I’ll be selling a 2/3 year old Bosch dishwasher as getting a new kitchen fitted and gone integrated. In Sheffield

bobgarrod
    Free Member

i had a hotpoint/indesit dishwasher – heap of junk. Bought a miele secondhand – it’s approx 10 years old but still works perfectly (immediately putting jinx on machine. Much better machine than the cheapies and has a handy cutlery drawer – nuch better than the usual stand up in a pot thing. Mkae sure you descale regularly to ensure longer life.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For £30 I’d try fixing it.

If I was buying new I’d look at Which.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

dishwasher door-lock appears to have given up the ghost

fixed mine couple weeks a go 10 min job

its 6 screws to take of the facing off, couple around the lock and it fits in only 1 way

Very simple job and £30 versus £300 for a new one? It still cost less if you get someone to do it.

MrPottatoHead

Another basic Bosch here. My only criticism would be the drying. Mine has no drying element and works by spraying steam which then evaporates off. This works great on metal and ceramics, but is terrible on plastics as they don’t retain much heat. I appreciate this keeps running costs lower but I personally find it annoying. I doubt this is exclusive to Bosch but may be something you notice if replacing an older model.

igm

A Bosch here too but up the range – for one simple reason. The more expensive ones are virtually silent and I like being able to use the room normally even when the dishwasher is running.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Siemens – been good for 6 years (I’ll probably be looking for a new one now after saying that). Top cutlery tray is much better than box things but does reduce height on the next tray down.

spooky_b329

I’d be trying to fix it! Pull it apart before ordering the part if not sure, the worst that happens is you have to wash up for a couple of days whilst the part arrives, or three or four days for the new dishwasher to arrive!

We are a throwaway society, most people don’t even attempt to repair stuff.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bosch. 9 yrs in one small fault with jug sensor, otherwise flawless.

benz
    Free Member

Part ordered. £15 inc delivery.

Some screws anti-clockwise, door facia off, cables unclipped, 2 screws anti-clockwise then reverse process…hopefully that simple
    8)

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Okay, I’ll be the first to say the ‘M’ word

We bought the cheapest Miele 15 years ago. Never missed a beat and the tray at the top is ace. Quiet too

*** Runs off to kitchen to check it hasn’t now terminally failed ***

wilburt
    Free Member

Very un basic bosch here and its been a pita for years. TBH I would get rid and wash by hand. (or just eat apples).

Suspect I’m on my own though.

bodgy
    Free Member

Meile.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Very basic Bosch here also had it 7 yeaes has 3 lights on it. 1 is the on light the other two are to tell me it needs salt or rinse aid….

We had one issue where the drain pump burnt out due to a cinnamon stick jamming it .

25 quid for a new pump direct from Bosch and about 15 minutes fixing it and it’s back in service . Wouldn’t hesitate to buy again .

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face…

With mild green, Fairy liquid. 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about…dishwashers’ is closed to new replies.