Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tell me about your Nukeproof Mega TR
  • Simon

I am in need of a new full suss frame that’ll take a 150mm fork and 26″ wheels. Budget is tight and my list of choices is pretty short, in fact a Nukeproof Mega TR is the only thing that ticks all my boxes. It’s to replace my damaged Prophet.

So, tell me your real world experiences of the Mega TR, what’s good, what’s not so good. Pics would be nice too.

transition1
    Free Member

What about a Transition Covert
    The Nukeproof Mega is just a poor copy of a Bandit

tops5
    Free Member

Went from a Covert to a TR – found the TR to be a much better all day bike. Only time I’ve really missed the extra travel was at Bikepark Wales.

2 months in – I’ve got a creak which I suspect may be shagged bearings already. Will contacting CRC to get their view on this.

Simon

Transitions are interesting but too pricey, and I’d need new, longer forks for a Covert.

shredder
    Free Member

Think mine is brilliant just a great trail bike, not the lightest but not the heaviest. Climbs well enough great going down and feels (as I read) like a big BMX very poppy.

Now 1 x 10 and gone a bit yellow !!
    I think your near me Simon im in Bradford if you wanted a look.

daveh
    Free Member

i think that might just be the first bike I’ve ever liked those wheels on!. A pike and murdered out rear shock and it’d be perfect ;-).

Edit: Oh, and seatpost.

shredder
    Free Member

Its just a winter hack 😉
    Main bike is on order with all the toys 😀

craighill
    Free Member

shredder could you give any info on the wheels? im trying to decide between stans flow and the crossmax enduro, I can get them for a similar price, im thinking of either:

stans flow ex – schwalbe hans dampf front and rear
    crossmax enduro – mavic charge front and rear
    crossmax enduro – schwalbe hans dampf front/something a little smaller on the rear

im not too sold on the rim width on the rear, any comparisons or info appreciated.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I love mine, as do a couple of friends on the 650b version.

Not too light, not too heavy, feels reassuringly rigid and stiff which only aids in making it far more capable than the 130 rear suggests.

Much better for clocking up miles than my old bike, sb66, feels equally if not more capable than the sb66 in terms of big hits and landing flat.

I decided to go one size bigger than i ought to too, put in some offset shock hardware and a 40mm stem, it’s an animal now.

Shock it comes with is ok, does the job, stuck a dbair on there, is a bit of a game changer.

I’d describe it as a trail bike you can fully rag, maybe not the best for all day wheels on the floor efficient people.

Simon

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the offer of taking a look at yours Shredder – I’m in Bingley but I’m really busy at the moment and doubt I’d be able to take you up on it.

Interesting you went up on size deanfbm, how tall are you and what size are you riding?

shredder
    Free Member

Craighill

Ive just replaced Flow EX wheelset with these. For no other reason than fancied a change. I had a Magic Mary front and Purgatory rear.

Ive moved these across onto the Mavic rims, to my eye the front looks as good as the same size as it was on the flow. The rear marginally smaller width wise which is to be expected. Still comes up IMO plenty big enough obviously not compared to some of the new width rims coming out.

But able to have a play around on this bike as my bike that is on order (Nicolai) will have wider rims. We all managed on our rims before the latest came out.

Should say the Magic Mary is a very very good front tyre in EVO carcass. I have had Hans Dampf before and they are good but the Mary pips it.

Don’t know if any of that will help you.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Im 5ft10, went large.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Rented one for an uplift day. The bike hire guys said they went through BBs at a rate. I thought it rode quite well.

Might just be the demands of British weather and hire bikes being generally abused. Wouldn’t put me off buying one. If the CRC buying experience is as good with bikes as it is with general kit then you can’t go wrong I guess.

Having said that there are so many great deals on all the 2nd hand 26″ bikes that people are flogging to upgrade. I’d probably look for one of those.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I’ve got one with 1*10, new pikes, ks lev, renthal finishing kit, flow ex on minions.

comes is a touch under 30lbs (small, I am 5.9 and always like short bikes, ie more fun)

great little bike – I also have an original mega which is quite a different beast.

The TR is much more flickable and dances through tight singletrack. where as the longer and slacker original is a big terrain bike.
    to be fair though not taken the TR into any big alpine terrain yet, so yet to really put it on the edge, so to speak.

craighill
    Free Member

Shredder
    Thanks for your info, I am torn between what to run, I like the crossmax enduro, but not keep on the rim width on rear compared to flow, simplicity of repairs on the flow, not keen on mavic hubs they seem to need adjusting now and again, I just really fancy some.

Tires wise, the crossmax charge gets good reviews, but not sure how it would compare to Hans dampfs. Interesting on magic Mary, may look into it, either Mary or dampf front and try to find a 2.25 Hans dampf pacestar for the rear.

We shall see

Simon

Like the black. Are the stickers under the lacquer? I was wondering if it’d be possible to remove some of them.

shredder
    Free Member

Stickers not removable I’m afraid.
    They are OTT to be honest the paint also isn’t the hardest / toughest. Will be changing colour of mine next year so not too fussed.

SirHC

Very impressed with my Mega TR. Feels a lot stiffer than the Orange 5 I had (which is now full of cracks and hanging on the garage wall).

Currently have it built with Revelations, Flows on Hope ProII (Minion Front and CrossMax/Advantage rear), Reverb Stealth and 1×10.

Looking at a set of pikes for the front, as after riding a Mega TR with a set was very impressed and would finish the bike off.

The Monarch RT3 copes pretty well, bike feels pretty well balanced currently, fitting Pikes could result in the rear shock being swapped out.

oli31
    Free Member

As above very capable and versatile bike, perfect for 90% of my uk riding and no overlap with my downhill bike (unlike the Covert which was top of my list).

Here’s a pic of mine in grey just for completeness : )

Not particularly light at over 30lbs but cheap compared to some and readily available

SirHC

Dean/Oli, Which travel Pikes did you go for?

oli31
    Free Member

160 mate, feels a bit light on the really steep climbs but figured the frames rated at 160 so why not : )

Think either would be fine ( does anyone really notice the 10mm difference ? ) but the extra stiffness is definitely noticeable

deanfbm
    Free Member

I had 160, went 150.

I’d rather a lower bb than slacker HA, even lower with and slacker now tho.

Plus 160 of pike goodness is more composed than 180-200mm of anyone else goodness, was definitely feeling a bit mismatched with the monarch, particularly since i was running less than 20% sag on the rear.

150 does feel more in spirit with the bike.

I must say i wholly contradict Olis comment regarding little overlap with the DH, i personally prefer the mega on 95% on what i ride, no matter how rowdy it gets. The DH bike only gets picked above the mega if i fancy a change or it’s an uplift day, masses of overlap. I imagine if you had a mega AM, there’d be little or no reason to have a DH bike.

craighill
    Free Member

two of my buddies just sold their dh bikes in favour of mega am’s, I feel the same about my covert, a true do it all bike.

deanfbm
    Free Member

But saying what i did say, i am still really glad i have a dedicated DH bike and dedicated trail bike.

When i had one bike for everything, it was always a compromise, biggest player was the tyre department, it makes such a big difference. Tyres were either always too heavy and draggy for true pedalling or always too flimsy to run at DH bike pressures. Weight and components strength plays its part too.

oli31
    Free Member

Yep ridden a few ‘proper’ DH tracks on mine and always had fun just come away thinking this would be better (and more comfortable) on my Socom 🙂

SirHC

One of the reasons the Mega could go through bottom brackets is the lack of drain hole in the BB, so water will become trapped. I have drilled a 3mm hole in the bb shell to allow the water to drain.

I too have a proper dh bike and the mega certainly can cope on all but the roughest/steepest of tracks. (Which would be helped with a set of pikes and higher rise bars)

Agreed on the tyre front, ended up on a minion 42a single ply front and crossmark/advantage rear. Was running an advantage on the front, which whilst relatively fast rolling and light, gave no confidence in the front end, the minion fixes that.

xterramac
    Free Member

After killing my 29er h/tail very quickly and reading this thread, its fingers crossed crc have one left at the end of the month as im after a jack of all trades bike with a desire to be ridden hard over rough stuff whenever possible and the TR has ticked the box very nicely. Thanks to all TR owners who shared, macs

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your Nukeproof Mega TR’ is closed to new replies.