Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tell me about your non-backpack storage
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

We’ve now got Spesh’s SWAT, a sort-of return of hip packs and all manner of on-bike stowage. What do you use as an alternative to the backpack for your typical 2-3 hour trail rides?

hilldodger
    Free Member

2-3 hours is just a bottle of water, small tool kit and a pocket waterproof if the weather looks iffy – not things that I’d consider needing a backpack for

m0rk
    Free Member

Refitted a saddle bag I found in the spares box yesterday for tube & tyre levers…. Bottle cage too

No room for a multi tool that’s of my use in this setup – maybe I’ll just tape on a 4/5mm allen key somewhere

ton

north face bumbag thing.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m loving my alpinestars evolution vest.

2 pockets, slot for up to a 2l bladder and built in full length CE back protection. As its made from mesh, its no hotter than a base layer or even a pack but you carry less extra crap, gain protection and also breathe better due to no waist strap thing.

scotroutes

I might get away with saddlebag and bottle in cage fir that length of ride if the weather looks settled. Otherwise an Ortlieb waterproof bumbag for jacket, camera, whatever.

dknwhy

Bottle in a cage and an Alpkit fuel pod (medium) with a tube, levers, multi tool, card wallet and phone in. Pump on frame.

pic

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Andyrm, how much can you store in the Alpinestars vest? Looks like a good option as I want a new protection vest in any case. Also, is it washer / dryer safe?

andyrm
    Free Member

Jim – you can get a 2l bladder in and then the back pockets (like old road pockets) can take gels, phone, keys, multi tool in pouch etc.

Machine wash mine at 30 in a delicates bag and its fine – really great bit of kit! 🙂

epicyclo

Small framebag.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Race face stash tank. V expensive but worth it as it holds everything. Great for a hot ride.

NormalMan

For summer rides a small Marin bumbag that has been going strong since the early 90’s.

mrvear
    Free Member

Awesome strap from backcountry research. Strap tube, multitool etc under saddle. Nothing rattles about like it dies in a saddle bag. Nothing comes loose or falls off, been using them for 5 years now.

njee20
    Free Member

Tube and Co2 pump attached to seat post with Mt Zoom handy strap thing (can do 2 tubes if you want). Bottle on bike. Spare sachet of High 5 in left pocket, with a bit of food if you want, plus multi-tool. Phone/cash/card in middle pocket. Keys/pump in RH pocket.

I can never get over how much shit people take with them for riding in populous areas close to home!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Northwave sleeveless summer roadie jersey, under a normal baggy jersey.

3 pockets & one zipped – ideal for everything. They were super cheap on Wiggle, as I assume most normal people wouldn’t wear something like that out in public.

rp16v
    Free Member

Both road and MTB kitted for that grab and ride when the time comes up ability
    Bottle cage with 750ish bottle for fluids
    Saddlebag for tube+extra patches,levers,multi tool,co2x2\head,split links and some cash
    Then use rear pockets for food and phone,keys

epicyclo

Pic of framebag I mentioned – cheap from eBay. Advantage – doesn’t get in the way, centralises the weight. Disadvantage may scuff paint unless you tape where the straps go (I don’t bother).

dufusdip
    Free Member

Race face stash tank (which doesnt come with a tank, it’s a description of the sleeveless top) and tools in a bottle cage. The fake bottle is not big enough so put a Leynze bracket under the cage for inflators and nozzle, which I lost last weekend!

You need pads good enough to ride in, or enough ability not to need pads.

I’m not 100% sure on it. Seems to be less restricting, but not yet solved the problem of the water getting horribly warm.

rOcKeTdOg

Custom made one from http://www.beerbabe.co.UK or a Jandd mini frame bag

epicyclo

Frame bags on eBay £19.99

Dead handy for day tours etc.

Ibera frame bay

ton

placed a order for a new Apidura one yesterday…..wish you had post that earlier epicyclo.

epicyclo

Sorry ton. 🙂

If it’s any consolation, they are not top quality, but they are definitely not rubbish.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Epicyclo – serious question: did you ride the Lairig Ghru in that contraption?

epicyclo

No, just the Ryvoan Pass.

Don’t usually head that far south.

But oddly enough, I was just checking the Larig Ghru route out tonight.

That ancient contraption has probably seen more mountain passes than most bikes on here though, and has a healthy number of 24 hours under its belt. 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m into my specialized SWAT bibs. Lots of extra very useful pockets so plenty of storage, especially when used in combination with shorts / jersey over the top.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your non-backpack storage’ is closed to new replies.