Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about your KRK Rockit 5s or 8s
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Morning all

Am idly thinking of getting a pair of these for ‘near field’ listening from the computer/iPod. They don’t have to fill the room with sound but they need to be LOADS better than normal PC speakers/iPod docks/middling hi-fi speakers etc

Whaddyathink

http://www.krksys.com/

eugeo81
    Free Member

They will be LOADs better than normal PC speakers/Ipod docks. Depending on the size of the room choose 5’s or 8’s.. 5’s will have plenty of power and be loud enough for most rooms though without being too bass heavy.

somafunk

Got KRK Rokit5’s and the KRK 10s matching sub, also got a pair of the KRK VXT6 and for day long listening the Rokit’s win hands down – the VXT’s are crystal clear sounding but very analytical monitors that show up the tiniest flaws in whatever medium you are playing, great for producing and laying down tracks but too much for everyday listening. The Rokits are just utterly fantastic/sublime with all types of music and i have them set up on my desk with my Macbook and Native Instruments Kontrol 24 bit/192kHz soundcard – they are my main speakers/soundsystem and i never want for anything else.

To get the best out of them you will need a soundcard but i suppose a direct feed from the iPod line out or your computer soundcard will do to start with.

Do a stw search on KRK Rokits and i’m sure you’ll come up with my other posts regarding them

spchantler
    Free Member

i’ve got the active 6’s, been recording on them all weekend. just great, they are. i demoed them next to all sorts, they won hands down. i’d have them in every room.

rocketman
    Free Member

OK thanks fellas

What would be the best way to connect the Rokits to an iPod/PC?

somafunk

if you have a decent soundcard with stereo outputs then connect them using a decent phono cable such as this

If you don’t have a decent soundcard then your option is to use your computers 3.5mm output, you could use one of these

If you don’t have a decent soundcard then to get the most out of these speakers i advise you to consider spending a few ££ on a decent external soundcard that will plug into a USB socket and take control of all sound processing duties, a cheap option is something like this , a slightly dearer option is something like this.

But if it was my cash i was spending i’d seriously consider this Creative Soundblaster , It’d be a pretty decent match for the Rokit’s without busting the bank – this is a surprisingly capable soundcard, i bought one for my brothers laptop speaker system. Connect this to your computer using a usb lead or the optical input then connect the soundcard to the Rokits using a bog standard stereo phono lead as above. You can pick these soundcards up for £60ish, budget another £10 for cabling and you will have a pretty awesome sounding system.

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks again
    Much appreciated!

somafunk

No bother, glad to help.

If, by nearfield listening, you mean sat within 4ft equidistant of the speakers then i suggest you do not get the Rokit 8’s, a speaker this size needs room to breath before you will get the best out of it and unless your room has acoustic treatment panels to make it neutral in tone then it will be massively overkill for your needs, not to mention the fact that my Rokit 5’s can quite comfortably fill my 14ft square living room with ease.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup they will probably be at either end of a desk or on some shelves but probably no more than two or three metres away in an average-size second bedroom.

Was going to get a pair from http://www.scan.co.uk unless you could recommend someone else?

somafunk

I have used whybuynew.co.uk for my dj/music stuff in the past, pair of KRK Rokit 5’s for £225.

They usually have decent bargains and touch wood/as of yet i have never had to return a product due to faults but as you get the same warranty as new i doubt it’d be a problem.

rocketman
    Free Member

Cheers somafunk

grahamb
    Free Member

I use GAK for stuff like this, & they seem to have them at the same price as Scan.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your KRK Rockit 5s or 8s’ is closed to new replies.