Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about your Genesis Caribou.
  • velomanic
    Free Member

Got my eye on a 2014 Caribou, interested to hear from owners about how you’re getting on with yours / recommended upgrades etc?

binners

Not an owner myself, but one of the lads has got one. We went on a night ride over the boggy moors and we swapped bikes for a while. I immediately wanted one! Its like riding a two-whheled hovercraft. Bloody brilliant fun!!!

They seem a lot of bike for the money, spec-wise too

velomanic
    Free Member

Cheers binners, I had a brief spin on one and my face hurt from grinning! Will probably go for it 🙂

bookwyse
    Free Member

My missus loves hers.

First and only thing to be changed on hers so far as been the tyres for s set of Nates that have made a huge improvement.

Hers is a 2015 with the 30t on the from which makes it easier for her but I do have a double sitting here waiting to go on if she needs it.

Hers:

Mine:

nickdt
    Free Member

Had mine a couple of months and am using it as my main bike. Heavy, slow and probably pointless, however I love it. Grip is bonkers, tracking is awesome and it just makes you smile. Mine is as stock apart from the tyres. The Vee rubber missions are shocking. At anything but the highest Pressure, they self steer like crazy, I had a couple of fairly scary moments. Mainly only an issue on Tarmac, which they are not designed for, but I have had some moments on hardback too. Changed them for some Floaters, changed the ride completely. Was awesome in the recent snow and I still choose it over my other 3 mountain bikes. Most other components are fine for the moment and don’t really need changing until they wear out.

rOcKeTdOg

i test rode one and agree the self steer is terrible, one of the reasons i went for an O-O fatty, the other is that we get snow maybe two days a year here and the fatty’s geometry is much more normal trail friendly. can’t fault the caribou for kit though and it’s a great colour

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

my mates shop – sprockets cycles in kilmarnock – bought in 8 of them a few months back, and still have them all I believe! Drop them an email, he’s always up for a deal! (And delivers too)

dazzlingboy

Do you mean the cream one? Or the 2015 Orange one? I’ve got the cream one which was a bit dearer and much better specced than the new one.

Like nickdt says – heavy, slow and pointless. I love it. I have a shed full of exotic bikes which are gathering dust and depreciating while I only ride the Caribou.

Mrs DB has a Fatty and it is a different ride. I use the Caribou for bikepacking, exploring, all day riding etc and it is perfect for that. Blasting round Glentress? Take the Fatty (well, I would but hers has bright pink tyres).

iainc

^^^^ I’d love one of those ones nobeer, but just can’t justify it…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There is always room for another iain!.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m sold on the more trail geo of the On One Fatty. I’ve played in the hills on one and am lost to the Fat Side.

The only question is how long my fall will take and what I end up with. There are some awfully pretty but scary expensive slack Fatties in the US…

velomanic
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and what I was hoping to hear!

It’s the cream one that I’m looking at so it comes with the Surly Nate tyres (but the slightly taller gearing!).

I’ll report back if the deal is done 🙂

ian-r

Only issue I had when I tried one was the lack of standover clearance. Went for a Fatty instead due to the dropped top tube(s).
    Has been my go to bike all winter.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surly Nate tyres

If they are the 27tpi ones, be prepared to pedal down your usual descents, and be destroyed on tarmac climbs!

dazzlingboy

Yep Nates are slow but damn – so much grip.

And not unrelated – I added a granny ring. Easy job. Had a old front shifter lying around. Cheap mech and you’re sorted. I moved the BB out a little on the right to give a couple mm extra clearance. Needs it otherwise your chain will hit the tyre.

tarmac climbs

agreed. But you’ll not be doing much of that!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your Genesis Caribou.’ is closed to new replies.