Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about your CBT experience…
  • Kryton57

Interested to have a bash at this, so im interested to hear your success stories (the therapy not the motorbike test)…

allthegear
    Free Member

The motorbike test IS therapy…

Rachel

craigxxl
    Free Member

(must read the full post)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

Interested to have a bash at this, so im interested to hear your success stories (the therapy not the motorbike test)…

Are you a passive or active person?

SaxonRider

Are you a passive or active person?

I’m watching this thread with interest, so can I ask: ‘does the answer to this question have a bearing on the efficacy of the therapy?’

Jamie
    Free Member

It can do.

Research has shown that those of an active nature, will engage better with CBT as it requires a degree of interaction.

For those of a passive nature, medication has shown improved efficacy.

Obviously there are shades in the middle. Bottom line is if you are not willing to commit to the process, and expect just physically turning up for an hour every week will sort everything out, you’re going to be wasting your time.

Kryton57

Obviously there are shades in the middle. Bottom line is if you are not willing to commit to the process, and expect just physically turning up for an hour every week will sort everything out, you’re going to be wasting your time.

[honest mode]

Shades of grey. Active when interested or I believe in something, passive when not. For instance, I’ll be very active doing everything I need to do for my race training, but after my GP received a consultant recommendation to remove a calcium stone from my cheek saliva duct, I’ve currently waited 4 months to phone up and get him to recommend the minor op.

[/honest mode]

The reason I’m asking is that its crunch time for flying. I’m expected to get on a work trip to Dallas next January. I’ve also a good chance of being invite in an all inclusive trip for 2 to Vancouver in April. The latter cannot happen without the former.

In this case maybe I’m becoming active.

footflaps

Research has shown that those of an active nature, will engage better with CBT as it requires a degree of interaction.

They sell millions of CBT books every year, yet most are just read and no action taken. If just reading a book on CBT worked, mental health issues would be a non issue by now!

Jamie
    Free Member

@Kryton57

With CBT there is a degree of doing as part of challenging negative thoughts. So not sure how it would work to alleviate your particular issue. Unless you took a few extra internal flights as coursework

Actually, that’s not that bad of an idea. Why not take a few small flights round the country, take the missus, to help build up a resilience?

O, if your flights are relatively infrequent, you could medicate around them? i.e just take some propranolol or similar to just get you on and off the plane? Not ideal, but if you don’t see flying being a big part of your life, then it gets the job done.

Kryton57

Jamie – I’ve posted several threads about this, but to fill you in briefly in summary:

I’m a high anxiety person by nature; a born worrier. I’ve currently tried every fear of flying therapy you could name, except CBT. Before this year I use Diazepam for short flights and pre flight on long haul, Tamazepam during long haul. My GP recently prescribed propranolol as he’s concerned about my Benzo use quantity. I fly very infrequently these days, pretty much once per year, but up until 2001 have an extensive flying history with several vary scary episodes.

The recent family trip to Menorca was fuss free on the way out, shaky on the way back despite the meds, proving that although the propranolol stopped the physical, the mental issues still affected me. Its not practical to “cope” with family holidays, yet deny work opportunities.

Besides Mrs K has put up with a lot of my work impacting upon us and she deserves to share some of the reward – the Vancouver trip should I get to go.

Vis a vis, I just want to try something else and show my employer that I’m at least being proactive to try to resolve my issues – hence I’m asking about CBT.

I do have opportunities to fly to Glasgow and Edinburgh later this year whereby I used catch the train should it be a good idea to avoid “avoidance”.

Jamie
    Free Member

In that case, give it a spin. Just engage with it as much as possible. I guess the practitioner will use thought exercises to trigger some responses you would get when about to fly/considering it.

Bottom line is you show work you’re trying to address the issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your CBT experience…’ is closed to new replies.