Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tell me about WTB Weirwolfs
  • RicB

As above really, for general riding in the Dales

WMB seem to love them, mtbr reviews seem positive but 2.5″ seems mahoosive for general trail riding!

I can’t find HR 2.35 folding 60s anywhere and Kenda Nevegals are a pita to seal with ghetto tubeless.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

They still about??

I still have a (pretty worn) pair on one of my bikes. 2.1″ version. Excellent tyre. Best all-rounder I’ve had. Little bit more puncture prone than some, but fairly light.

Or is it a completely new tyre?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I hated the ones I had. Worst tyres I’ve ever had. No grip when pumped hard enough to avoid pinches and rolled over themselves and pinched all the time when run soft enough to get any semblance of grip.

Horrid horrid tyres imo

Archaic
    Free Member

I have just dug a pair out and will be swapping them onto my bike for the conti verts that are currently on there. Great tyres just need decent clearence especially at rear of bike.

poppa
    Free Member

I had a Weirwolf 2.1″ (standard, not the LT version) and didn’t think much of it. Replaced with a Nevegal.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was running a 2.55″ 29er on a 35mm bead width rim in Luchon the other day.

Pretty good handling really. No wash out despite the relatively low profile.
    Lots of air in there too and not a drag although it made up a heavy wheel for me (700g rim + 784g tyre)

They’re still advertising them (29er ones) for £20 each at Williams Cycles if anyone’s interested.
    http://williams-cycles.co.uk/html/parts.html

Also, the 2.3″ Exiwolf has exactly the same bead to bead carcass width as the 2.55″ by my reckoning.

RicB

Cheers Stoner. Size-wise they look about the same as my 2.35 nevegal from that pic.

Stoner
    Free Member

sounds about right.

adstick
    Free Member

I have some 2.5s on my bike that I got super cheap last year. Been using them for ages and love them, but you need to lean the bike hard to make the most of the grip. They’re not that big either, similar to a 2.35 high roller, similarly versatile too.

I don’t ride in the peaks though…

adstick
    Free Member

or the Dales…

mttm
    Free Member

Weirwolf Comps – steel bead, rock hard rubber, avoid!
    Weirwolf Race – aramid bead, DNA rubber (60a) excellent if slightly weighty for size. Last well, corner well, pick up a lot of mud in sticky conditions (available in 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5).
    Weirwolf FR(?) – the heavy, reinforced version of the Race.
    Weirwolf LT – Aramid bead and DNA rubber (supposed to be dual compound, but mine certainly aren’t). Avaliable in 2.55, and the carcass size is huge, much bigger than the std 2.5 Weirwolf. The tread is much lower profile, the cornering and braking grip are great – they’re a really good (front)tyre. Don’t tell anyone or everyone will start to use them.

dicky
    Free Member

I just fitted some of the 2.55 LTs and had a first ride last night. First impressions are favourable. They aren’t as big as you might think either, I was worried whether I’d have sufficient clearance at the rear but in fact they seem no wider than the 2.4 Racing Ralphs I had on previously and I didn’t think they were that big either. I reckon the wierwolf LTs will be a really good all round summer tyre.

mushrooms
    Free Member
    JohnClimber
    Free Member

I run and I’m very happy with the LT’s or the EXI wolfs in winter, their great at 25psi on FLOW rims and don’t pinch flat for me.

jejames have them here for under £15 with free carriage here
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/wtb-weirwolf-lt-race-29er-tyre-id47184.html

trail_rat
    Free Member

borrowed a bike with 2.25 weirwolfs .. thought they were terrible at anything but road … they had low rolling resistance at least … made up for the lack of grip on any surface….

RicB

lol at trail_rat!

Mushrooms – I’ve seen your ad, only need a front tho, and I’m angling towards another nevegal tbh.

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, I think I had the 2.1″ Race version, which did clog easily. I heard more favourable comments about the LT version.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about WTB Weirwolfs’ is closed to new replies.