Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tell me about Woking….
  • andybach
    Free Member

So…. Ive been short listed for a good job which is based near Woking.

I currently live in Edinburgh, and work abroad a lot; but i really love living in Edinburgh, i have some good friends here, there is always something to do in the city and i get away to the mountains every other week in the summer months and almost as often over the winter. The current job is ok but its time for a change.

So will i go stir crazy in the South East of England?? I am not married and no kids and my girlfriend lives in Geneva (so easy access to airport is important) – i like hiking, biking, going to gigs and comedy and Edinburgh ticks all those boxes.

I like new challenges and moving to a new place doesnt bother me that much…. but there seems to be a distinct lack of mountains….

gee
    Free Member

Fantastic riding in Swinley/Porridge/Minley/Tunnel etc, also the Surrey Hills are within easy riding distance so you’re spoilt really. Woking itself is ok for shopping and has cinema/theatre, Guildford is a lot nicer though and has theatre too. Some bits of Woking aren’t so pleasant – worth going for a wander round first if you’re renting. Train from Woking direct to Waterloo in 25mins. Bus direct from Woking to LHR in about the same time.

GB

tonyd

As above, there’s some good riding. Nothing like Scotland but good none the less. Surrey hills are also good for walking, I wouldn’t describe it as hiking in the sense you’ll be used to though! You’ll be about 2 hours from South Wales if you want bigger hills.

For everything else that’s in and around Edinburgh, forget Woking but train into Waterloo takes no time so it’s as good as on your doorstep.

I think you’d be pleasantly surprised. Maybe rent in Woking for a while and explore the surrounds to see where you’d like to live. The whole area is eye-wateringly expensive to live though so make sure they offer you some decent money!

Good luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Weasel
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-ones said I nearly misread the title…

allthepies
    Free Member

Well, as above, Woking’s no Edinburgh 😉

But…it’s a doddle to get into London quickly on the train so your gigging/comedy needs should be easily satisfied.

Surrey style MTB involves lots of singletrack and woodland. You can put together very long rides using the ROW network to link up local army land/commons/woods/Surrey Hills etc.

tomhoward

Take a firm grip and go for your life!

What was that you were saying weasel?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And still……They come!

singletrackmind

I wouldnt ever want to live there having worked there for 2 years.
    Its just abit weird thats all. Much nicer towns easily within commuting distance. yes, you will pay more for a flat in Guildford , Godalming or Farnham but nicer in the evenings ( no offence to Wokingites)
    or move over nearer Mychett way then you can ride with Tunnel Hill Trolls

Caher

You really should have a stay, say a weekend down there to get a bit of a feel for the place. It’s the South East so much more crowded than you are used to, but with Gatwick nearby easier to get to the Geneva – and cheaper.

ask1974
    Free Member

Think Singletrackmind hit the nail on the head. After Edinburgh Woking is likely to seem flat and lacking character, I’d be mildly amazed if you found it suitable. However it’s surrounded by some really very nice places and commuting in is not a problem. Guildford, Godalming, Haslemere all span the Surrey hills and are all easily within reach, or head towards London for a busier lifestyle.

All due respect to Woking residents but I’d never live there. Bad example of what the south east has to offer. I do however know a very reasonable mechanic in Woking if that helps 🙂

footflaps

Well it’s warmer and dryer in Woking compared to Edinburgh, but that’s about the only positive change I can think of!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bad example of what the south east has to offer.

Luton is a bad example of what the south east has to offer, Woking is just a bit dull.

footflaps

If we’re onto bad examples I challenge anyone to beat Harlow New Town for worst place to live in the SE…

Caher

Redhill?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Slough…..
    Even makes woking look good.
    Best thing about woking is its easy to leave. M25, m3, waterloo in 25 minutes etc.
    Saying that, i do 2 min on the road, get on the canal that leads to tunnel hill and you can get to swinley nearly all offroad.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve lived in Guildford on and off for 30 years. I’m biased but if you like the outdoors the area is a fabulous place to live given its access to the countryside, the coast (an hour), Gatwick and Heathrow 30 mins, likewise central London and all the nightlife and culture you could possibly want, Guildford is pretty active as well with clubs and bars and a student population plus country pubs etc if those are more your style. The new G-Live seems to be pulling in some decent acts, Comedy and Music.

You can ride xc and Surrey Hills from you doorstep, Swinley, QECP, Rogate etc a short drive. Wales 2.5 hrs, Peak District 3hrs

Paul Weller is from Woking and still lives locally I believe, so whilst it isn’t my favourite place it scores big for that.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve known a few people who chose to live in Woking despite not working there, main advantage seems to be speed into London and access to nice places nearby. There are some areas with nice big houses around – plenty of wealthy people in those. But I wouldn’t choose to live there as the centre feels pretty soulless to me, there are nice nearby villages which would be an easy bike ride away, wouldn’t choose to drive in as the roads tend to be busy. Guildford is the best place around for a youngish person to have fun in and easy train trip to Woking so I’d look to do that.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yep, paul weller is from woking.
    “town called malice” 😯

andybach
    Free Member

THanks for the comments everyone – it looks like Guilford is the better option!
    I guess part of the problem is that Edinburgh is one of the best places (IMHO) to live in the UK – culture, history, Arthur’s seat and Portobello beach all in a short bike ride. And i have Glasgow 45 minutes on the train for a great night out and loads of live bands…..

Anyway I dont have the job yet……

bigyinn
    Free Member

Portobello beach

Hardly the seaside though!

Woking is a place you choose to live in because its convenient for other things in your life. Its not somewhere to live because of itself.

Doh1Nut

What classes as “Just outside” Woking that would bring you down from the other end of the country..

Cars or Oil ? 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

last time i went there i overheard

if she waits for you while your doing time she’s a good girl

never has one quote so succinctly summed up a towns inhabitants

binners

I used to work in our office in Woking occasionally. It looks and feels like any other of those god-forsaken southern satellite towns. If someone parachuted you in to any particular one of them, and asked you where you were, you wouldn’t have a clue.

They’re all identical, and utterly and completely soulless. Like most of the inhabitants.

I’d imagine that if you enjoy everything you’ve listed of the benefits of living in a major city, you’d be bored out of your skull in Woking within days. Not to mention the distinct lack of hills

tomd
    Free Member

If the job’s a cracker it might be worth it. I spent 5 years living around that part of the South, now in Glasgow. There is decent riding and countryside near by but it will be nothing compared to what you have from Edinburgh. Also, it is likely you will end up paying more to live in a worse house / flat and have less culture to enjoy unless you venture into London. Yes you can get other places, but I don’t count being able to get to Afan / Peak District in three hours (in good traffic) a postive. From Edinburgh you’ve got great riding on your doorstep, even better riding <1hr hour away and the Lakes and Highlands if you can bothered to travel for two hours on quiet roads.

freeagent
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

If we’re onto bad examples I challenge anyone to beat Harlow New Town for worst place to live in the SE…

I’ve lived in Northfleet – that was pretty grim
    I work in Laindon – that is pretty grim

Even been to the Medway towns? Gillingham, Chatham, Strood?

captain-slow
    Free Member

andybach, can’t really disagree with any of the negative comparisons of woking with edinburgh, but surprised nobody has mentioned the climate. I have a friend who moved his family down from edinburgh and they flatly refused to move back a few years later because of what they descibed as the lack of sunlight back home – about half on average I believe – so you may just grow to like it

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mclaren are just outside Woking, I hope it’s not Mclaren or we’ll all be really jealous.

@binners – don’t be so one-eyed. There is plenty of soul down south, in the towns and in the people

singletrackmind

In Edinburgh you will not get a group of men walking down the middle of the road cheering and shouting ‘Allah Akbar’ immediatly after the 7/7 London bombings

sums up Woking for me

andybach
    Free Member

It’s not McLaren ….. Nothing that exciting ….. @singletrackmind in Edinburgh we would just assume that was a student drama fringe performance

Was at a few fringe shows last night and wandering home through the “old town” thinking what an amazing city….. Off to the highlands on Saturday for a week – wont make the decision any easier!

binners

@binners – don’t be so one-eyed. There is plenty of soul down south, in the towns and in the people

I’m sure there is. But there certainly wasn’t in Woking from what I saw. I thought it was an utterly soulless place (which we also have plenty of oop north BTW – see Warrington for example). The thing was that most people who lived or worked there seemed to share my opinion. For example, there was a Champions League game on one evening I was down there, that I fancied going to watch in the pub, and maybe grab something to eat. I asked in the office were there any decent pubs in Woking. The universal reply: ‘no, there are no decent pubs in Woking’.

After going for an explore in the evening myself, I concluded they were right

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Woking….’ is closed to new replies.