Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Tell me about Visual Basic .net
  • PJay
    Free Member

Is Visual Basic a worthwhile language to learn for a relatively inexperienced programer try to get back into things, purely as a hobby. I guess that I've considered Basic to be a bit of a toy language but I think that VB is fairly advanced as Basic goes. I suppose too that there would be transferable skills to Visual Basic for Applications which might be a bonus.

There's a copy of Visual Basic .net 2003 on Ebay. Does anyone know if VB .net only produces managed code for the .net framework or would it produce standalone programs too? Is there any advantage to VB .net 2003 standard over VB 2008 Express?

Flaperon

Advice? Don't bother with Visual Basic.

You'll have much more success with Visual C#, which uses a Java-like syntax and is easier to follow and write IMHO.

Visual C# Express is free and I'm pretty sure anything produced from it runs happily on a Windows platform provided it has the .NET framework installed, which is mostly everything from XP onwards.

fubar
    Free Member

as above…Visual Basic .NET is very similar to C#…I learnt VB .Net but got a job doing C# with few difficulties..I'd start with C#. No need to buy anything free versions do most things.

Does anyone know if VB .net only produces managed code for the .net framework or would it produce standalone programs too?

yes and yes…VB.NET /C# only run on the .Net runtime…but most [windows] machines will already have this installed via OS or windows updates…and you can include the free distributable runtime package in your install if you want…once that is installed you can run the .Net .exe program file just like any other program. (it looks just the same to the end user.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Visual Basic .net’ is closed to new replies.