Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about VAG-COM
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So this is a cable and some software to communicate with your car, right? What form does the software take? I mean.. it's apparently possible to say change the steering weight this way, so am I going to see a nice drop down menu or is it a case of programming this code into this address..?

What I want to do currently is add the trailer stability electronics to the towbar electrics. Apparently you wire it all up then program the car to accept it. I'm assuming you'd get instructions on what to code with the thing?

Wharfedale
    Free Member

There is a farly basic windows interface that allows you to target individual modules on the vehicle. See here for an example of how it looks/works. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/main_screen.html

I'm told you can buy the cable from Dealextreme for much less than the offical price. Not that I agree with this practise……

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Och!
    Here was me thinking it was a new website I might wish to visit!

allthepies
    Free Member

I've got the s/w and the Rosstech interface cable.

It's quite low level access, dealing in "measurement blocks" and setting magic numbers in address areas etc. So if you do research and know what values to set then vagcom can do it.

DezB
    Free Member

MikeT-23 – Member
    Och!
    Here was me thinking it was a new website I might wish to visit!

Featuring the Vag-cam?

sharkbait
    Free Member

the DealExtreme cable can be found HERE

Thing is they call it a Dual-K & CAN USB cable – but this does not appear on the Ross-Tech website for the GOLF. It seems I need the HEX-USB + CAN cable for a 2007 golf 😐

Marko

Hi,

1.Now called VCDS.
    2.The cloned interfaces will not allow you to do much, apart from read fault codes and look at the live data.
    3. The genuine interface will let you code modules and perform adaptations.
    4. All software updates are free for owners of the genuine interface.
    5. Only for VAG group cars, although the OBD function will give emissions related fault codes on post 2000 cars in the UK.
    6. Best diagnostic tool for anyone working on VAG cars.
    7. Please don't buy the cloned interfaces. Uwe Ross (the developer) put a lot of time and effort into the tool. You are robbing a genuine innovative small company, not 'Mega-Corp Inc', if you use a cloned interface.
    8. I use it all the time. If you need to know more PM me.
    9. Available – with support from: http://www.ilexa.co.uk/
    Hth
    Marko

allthepies
    Free Member

I've got the genuine lead/interface purchased from Ross-tech.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, £200 is reasonable for what you get but too much for me currently.. shame 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

http://www.uk-mivs.net/

Nice community and a dedicated VAG.COM and VAG.Tacho forum with directory of members willing to help. 'Old No7' is the guy who either knows or can point you in the right direction.

Oddly enough I'm mk1fan there too.

allthepies
    Free Member

molgrips – I'm in the Aldershot/Farnborough area if you want to use the s/w + lead

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about VAG-COM’ is closed to new replies.