Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about tubeless
  • AllanH
    Free Member

So I want a set of pro 3’s with stans rims.
    Do I have to use tubeless tyres or can I use any tyres and sealant?
    Do I have to use a rim strip on tubeless ready tyres?
    If i rip a tyre can I just I throw a tube in with a tyre patch?
    Whats good and whats bad.
    cheers

ratherbeintobago

Do I have to use tubeless tyres or can I use any tyres and sealant?

Depends. Some tyres are ‘tubeless ready’; some will work; some won’t. I believe there may be an issue with seating true UST tyres on Stan’s rims but I am prepared to be corrected.

Do I have to use a rim strip on tubeless ready tyres?

Not with Stan’s rims – use rim tape and a valve. If you are converting a non-UST rim from another manufacturer, you will need a rim strip (or a ghettoed BMX tube).

If i rip a tyre can I just I throw a tube in with a tyre patch?

Yes.

There is more info than you could possibly ever need in the Notubes.com help centre.

Andy

Klunk
    Free Member

If you are converting a non-UST rim from another manufacturer, you will need a rim strip (or a ghettoed BMX tube).

not so, i run stans 25 mm tape & valve on dt5.1 with some old spesh non ust adrenalines and sealant. Works so well they lose less air than the ust rr & nn i had on before.

AllanH
    Free Member

Cheers Andy

will check on stans site

SBrock
    Free Member

Just got some Stans Flow on PRO2’s, using Stans tape/Valves/sealant along with Wire Bead Maxxis High Rollers……work a treat!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maxxis seems to be really good for UST I use them all the time, they just fit so easy no faffing

ratherbeintobago

not so, i run stans 25 mm tape & valve on dt5.1 with some old spesh non ust adrenalines and sealant. Works so well they lose less air than the ust rr & nn i had on before.

That is interesting; as I understand it, it’s also pretty much how Roval tubeless rims work. I thought the rim strip was meant to be essential to wedge the tyre bead against the rim, though?

Andy

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought the rim strip was meant to be essential to wedge the tyre bead against the rim, though?

No, it can help but it’s not essential. Weight weenies just use tape on the spoke holes. I think with some rims it’s more important than others.

Trimix
    Free Member

You may also find you need a compressor and motorcycle style tyre leavers.

clubber
    Free Member

Tubeless is still a bit ‘try and see’ some combinations work fine with no rim strip, others don’t. It’s well worth the effort though IMO.

younggeoff

Nobby Nic’s on Stan’s crest tight to fit but inflate with a hand pump.

Maxxis High Roller (Non UST) Easy Fit, soapy water and compressor to seat at first

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

All Maxxis variations that I’ve tried on Flows (with yellow tape) have gone up easily with just a track pump. So far that’s:
    Minnion 2.35 ST single ply
    ADvantage 2.? UST
    High Roller 2.35 60A single ply
    Larsen TT 2.0 single ply
    plus one non-Maxxis so far…Halo Choirmaster UST

Thouroughly recommend tubeless.
    Only issue has been from ripping the sidewall a little too easily on the rear tyre when running single ply. Not a problem – just fit a tube. Have since gone to UST on the rear and standard single ply front and am now very happy.

Main advantage for me as a clumbsy rider is pinchflat avoidance. My record prior to tubeless was THREE pinchflats in a single descent of Garburn (at about 40 psi!!!).
    Have now been able to drop to 30-35 psi tubeless, definately ride harder than I did previously and remain pinchflat free. The best change I ever made.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about tubeless’ is closed to new replies.