Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • tell me about the Whinlatter loops plz!
  • jekkyl

Going up the lakes this evening, camping over and doing helvellyn first thing, which shall be probably be finished before lunch. I’ve been up to Keswick loads of times but never gone on the trails at whinlatter. I’m after swoopy, fun and fast as the 3k foot mountain will give me enough tech for the day, so which of the loops is better if I only get the chance to do one? & what can I expect to find? Cannock is my local centre and been over the monkey tons. thanks.

mtbfix

If you just want fast and swoopy, then ride the blue a couple of times. It’s great.

arrpee
    Free Member

Neither of the two red loops are particularly technical. Both have a couple of optional black features. Both deliver “swoopy, fun and fast” in spades. If I had to choose, I’d do the North loop (slightly longer and more varied?). If you’ve got time, don’t overlook the blue route, as it’s loads of fun.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

North loop has a very nice fast descent 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Red is is 2x long climb with a long descent, north a bit longer and more varied South descent is a more balls out speed fest.

Blue is excellent fun, loads of mini bermed corners to rip round

If you’re riding up there from keswick be sure to get back down via the bridleway off the blue. Watch out for the drop at the end!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Jammy-sod! Wish I was riding today.

Enjoy 8)

martinhutch

I would say the south loop has the fastest, funnest descent of the two. Bit less climbing too? (certainly felt like it to me), which may be the clincher today.

Pedal harder and get them both done – only about 12 miles in total, or 17 if you throw in the blue as well, I think.

creedy
    Free Member

Let us know how you got on. I’m up there Saturday. Going with a couple of lads that have done it before but only in winter. I expect it to be rammed but looking forward to it!

jekkyl

yeah I’m going on Saturday too, see you there. Cyclewise are doing a free demo day so you can try a new bike for nought.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

South is swoopy, north is good, neither is Cannock though (due to ther actually being a hill)
    December view – so normally similar to July
    [video]http://vimeo.com/45739860[/video]

RoganJosh
    Free Member

South if you’ve only got chance for one, long climb then long descent and you get to a great view point where you can see 360 Grizedale pike, catbells, derwent, helvelyn, blencathra, skiddaw etc.. Then great long and varied descent. Techy natural features at top and then smooth fast berms and jumps lower down.

The north is I think half a mile longer, and does have a good fast descent at the end but most of it is in woods and there is a llllllloong fire road climb compared to the souths mainly singletrack climb. Should easily cram both into 90mins if you can do that tho?

d45yth
    Free Member

there is a llllllloong fire road climb

The fact that the OP is doing Helvellyn, he may find the climb quite short! Anyway, there is still a fair bit of climbing on the south.
    If you’ve only time to do one, I’d do the north…depending on how much time you’ve got though, the whole lot can be done in less than 2 hours.

jekkyl

yeah doing it all would be favourite but hoping to squeeze in a swim in Ullswater too, which will probabpy come at the end of Helvellyn. Mind you when camping the sun will wake me up at some ungodly hour so will be probably get up and get on it, might be up the mountain by 9, so little or few red socks and the weather is set for full sun. Glorious!
    Love the lakes, as soon as I pull off the M6 at penrith and round the corner and see Blencathra, my heart swells. Camping at sykeside brothers water btw if anyone else.

creedy
    Free Member

Jekkyl- look out for a balding red faced fella on a white stumpy with a freakishly large younger bro on a norco. Say high if you see us. Mmmm demo bikes 🙂

trevron73
    Free Member

Blue is excellent ,couldn’t do the red as my wheel and wife gave up towards the end .Great views of Skiddaw( maybe you should hit Skiddaw cracking descent ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Blue is truly worth it (Blue->red south->red north) for the full experience. Wouldn’t bother with Skiddaw on a sunny summer weekend will be full of walkers everywhere

creedy
    Free Member

Did north,south and blue. Didn’t feel great. At top of south found my forks were only travelling 50mm. Thought I didn’t feel comfortable on bike. But great ride some great people will do again asap

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘tell me about the Whinlatter loops plz!’ is closed to new replies.