Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about the Lincolnshire coast..
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Staying at Brackenborough Hall this weekend and taking the road bike, tell me about the coastal bits and where i should ride to – Mablethorpe, Sutton On Sea etc.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If this wind keeps up it will be very interesting riding.
    Mablethorpe is horrible as is Clethorpees – Sutton is ok, bit past it best but ok.
    If you can find Anderby Creek there’s a nice cafe and the walk on the beach is fab, spent many summer weeks there.

verses

My in-laws live just outside Louth – I think Rogerthecat has summed it up quite well.

My 6yo likes Mablethorpe for the fun fair and the beech train, but other than that it’s a hole.

Sutton’s a quieter seaside town.

Anderby Creek is probably the nicest spot they’ve taken us to. Not a lot there but has a nice, endless, white, sandy beech with shallow water for paddling.

Donna Nook is good for seal watching, in fact I think this is about the time when they all come up on the shore to have pups.

Last time we visited I decided I’d rather leave the family at the in-laws and rode to my folks’ house in N. Yorks 😉 Found plenty of quiet country lanes for road riding and if you head for the Wolds rather than the coast it’s prettier and hillier than I expected it to be.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The wind is a factor but I’ll decide tomorrow morning whether i go out or not!

organic355
    Free Member

Hope you are prepared for some big climbs and descents!

buck53

As a beach, Mogg’s Eye is very nice from what I remember of my childhood (not as long ago as most on here 😉 ) but Mablethorpe is not the best place, at all, really. I’d vote for heading inland too, Lincoln itself getting my vote.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

From there i would also recommend going inland – head into the wolds perhaps towards Tealby etc. Nice quiet roads with some good sharp ups and downs.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Never been to the Wolds – good chance of getting lost?

Brackenborough Hall looks to be fairly remote..

matthewlhome
    Free Member

pick up an os map and you’ll be fine- just head east.
    From Brackenborough, if you went out towards Binbrook and then take your pick. Avoid the main A631 and A158 roads though as they can be fast and with lots of blind corners for motorists.

As others have said, if this weather holds up going towards the coast could be quite unpleasant. There is very little shelter that way.

Kings Head pub in Tealby is nice.

scandal42
    Free Member

Any coastal mtb routes out that way?

verses

Any coastal mtb routes out that way?

I’ve never ridden with them, but I’d guess LAMB might be able to help.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Wolds is sounding good then, mind you I’ll make my final decision based on the state of the weather and my hangover!

steviep
    Free Member

I have a gpx file of a 65 mile loop quite close to you that goes into the wolds, its a nice ride.
    E mail in profile if you want me to send you it.
    Oh and roger I live in cleethorpes and it most certainly is not horrible!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

How did it go?

shifter
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Member

Clethorpees

tut

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the Lincolnshire coast..’ is closed to new replies.