• This topic has 35 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tell me about the Isle of Lewis
  • Pipester
    Free Member

Possibly going to be spending a week or so near Stornoway, so was wondering:
    – when's the best time to go (weatherwise)
    – what is there to do
    – is it worth taking MTBs
    – is it worth taking surfboards

Cheers

epicyclo

There is always weather in Lewis. Go prepared.

Take the bikes and boards because you'll inevitably find that you'll wish you had. At worst you won't use them, but that's unlikely.

Harris is where the best riding is IMHO, but a ride (road) across Lewis to Callanish and Carloway in good weather is magic.

The west coast beaches are fabulous.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Answering your questions in order…

– weather can be great or shit at any time of the year. Unless you can choose last minute, take your chances.
    – Nowt
    – Yes
    – Yes

Incredible place- have a great time.

gusamc
    Free Member

2 stunning MTB loops (scenery, one is a great ride as well – sometimes makes top 10 in magazine UK lists)

beaches – awesome, do a day beach exploring – well worth it, not sure about surf – but there should be some, do a safety check as next stop is USA

visit standing stones, callanish.

hang you washing out early Sunday and await local religious riots ….

May, Sept are possibly best for Scotland

swiss01
    Free Member

what is there to do?
    – go drinking/church (free reformed for the proper hardcore)

is it worth taking a mtb
    – for lewis. absolutely not. the pentland road of which epicyclo speaks is just that. a road. harris is tho, a totally different kettle of fish. there is pushing and there is much wetness but it is sublime.

is it worth taking a surfboard
    – frankly you'd be insane not to. that said, if you are out and about be aware that of you get into bother you'll most likely be in big bother. if you're in stornoway you can go up the road to tolsta – the far end of the beach occasionally goes off but only when it's too mental on the west side. it's a bit of a beach break and reasonably unpleasant. dal mor in the west is a fine introductory beach and fairly safe. you'll hear about eoropie but be aware that the currents are treacherous. there are waves almost all year somewhere on the island. the local scene (at least when i was there) was small but, unlike the mainland, they're approachable and will see you right. you can also do kitesurfing out at barvas and, if kite buggying/boarding is your thing head out to uig. or take a kayak. there's insanely good kayaking.

best time to go?
    being the islands it's a bit random but may tends to be decent enough and is when i'll be going this year i think. later on they become a midge infested hole and that's before the cleggs come out

gwaelod
    Free Member

I'm going there this summer for a fortnight (well Harris actually). I've just been on Flickr looking for pictures of Luskentyre (where our self catering cottage is)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hebrides/pool/

The Flying Monk rocks by the way.

swiss01
    Free Member

i should be clearer about 'reasonably unpleasant'

since i moved back from lewis i haven't put a board in the water it's ruined me that badly. because it is that good

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Oh, and to elaborate- whilst the surf/kayaking is as good as swiss01 is demonstrating, the climbing is also pretty sweet. Again though, you'll probably want to know what you're doing- you can get yourself into trouble pretty easily some places and there aren't always people passing by (having said that, many of the areas aren't as as remote as some would make out). The main problems you'll have will be with the local wildlife if you're over from May-August.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We were in Lewis last summer – I did have the bike with me but only did a few rides in the islands as I was with my wife and son who cycle but don't do proper mountain biking (yet!).

There are some lovely beaches in Lewis though, including some quite close to Stornaway. This one is Tolsta beach which is a few miles to the north:

Harris looked great for mountain biking so I'd like to go back to give that a go.

grumm
    Free Member

Just so happens I am there right now. Yes you should bring a surfboard. 🙂

The beaches are incredible. Not brought a bike with me this time but mainly due to still not being very well. A road bike would be great for Lewis though the roads are a bit fecked. Scenery in Harris is amazing and the biking is meant to be good but not tried it yet.

Just been playing with my new 10 stop ND filter.

euanr
    Free Member

Echoing what folks have said above really. Mtbing on Lewis? Not really. Castle grounds would amuse you for a little while I suppose. If you can make it down to Harris then do bring a bike. Cracking wild riding.

Surfing – there's always one beach with waves if you are willing to drive.

Stuff to do? Beaches are world class, there's the Broch – Callanish – Black House circuit, visit one of the many fine pubs, newish Arts Centre thingy is worth a look in STY. Bring a kite as there will be wind. Some cracking sea-cliff climbing on the west coast. The bit round Valtos for a bit of sea kayaking is fabulous.

grumm
    Free Member

View from where I'm staying 🙂

epicyclo

swiss01 – Member
    …is it worth taking a mtb
    – for lewis. absolutely not. the pentland road of which epicyclo speaks is just that. a road.

Yes, but the headwinds make it fun. It's a hoot, I've been blown completely off the road there twice. Why is that fun? Well there is the return trip 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

great pics Grum

I've got family in Lewis, would like to visit there again soon.

Gnnr

Brilliant photos. Really inspiring… got itchy feet now.

tony_m
    Free Member

What everybody else has said! Wonderful place, just got back from my latest visit, and will be up there again in three weeks. 😀

Suaineabhal on March 1st…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Driest month I believe is May. More to the point that is before high midge season, so you might not be eaten.

There are loads of remote and beautiful places to visit. The best MTB track is the one from about 4 miles along the road to Amhuinnsuidhe castle on North Harris heading north then west to make a loop with the tarmac road. Worth doing in both directions. Other than that there isn't a lot of good riding other than hike a bike stuff. Best bet would be to take some slicks too and do a few road miles, up the W coast of Lewis to the Butt or also the loop around South Harris on the Golden Road (East Side).

Also, worth a trip out to the Calanish Stones and the Broch and Blackhouse Village at Carlaway. Also Great Bernera is nice. If you're interested in archeology or history there's a reconstructed viking mill that you can go and find off the tourist circuit.

Not much to do in Stornoway, although they were building an arts centre the last time I was there a few years ago.

There definitely are good surf spots, but I don't know them.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Take bikes and boards as others have said. am hoping to get back with the boards later this year. We took bikes but only did one ride. It is in the bike scotland 1 book and start just outside tarbert. It is called the rheinigdale loop and can be extended to take in some extra tracks along some quite exposed coastline. You do have to carry your bike a bit but the track teetering along above the water is magic though not hugely technical.

This track skirts the coast and is pretty nice

This is the route back to the car but you can, i think turn left further back and carry on round the coast.
    A lot of the west coast of the islands have surf or check magic seaweed
    for ideas

peajay

It can hold 114 cars,
    PJ.

kennyp
    Free Member

Stornoway black pudding (made by a butcher called Charles McLeod) is easily the best black pudding in the country.

druidh
    Free Member

Too subtle peejay….

epicyclo

kennyp +1

druidh
    Free Member

Ah yes. The marag dubh.

I have some in my freezer at the moment. Sliced and bagged.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We have a motorhome and started from Barra and worked our way up to Lewis before spending some time in Wester Ross and Sutherland. Totally fantastic and I'd do the same again this year if I could persuade my wife and son.

Ardroil:

Wildcamping at Barra Airport:

Bernera:

Berneray:

South Uist:

Wildcamp at Tolsta Beach:

billyboy
    Free Member

Tarbert is the best base for the best off roading the outer islands have to offer.

grumm
    Free Member

Couple of hours ago 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

Very nice. Is that Tolsta beach?

grumm
    Free Member

It is indeed.

druidh
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member
    We have a motorhome and started from Barra and worked our way up to Lewis before spending some time in Wester Ross and Sutherland. Totally fantastic and I'd do the same again this year if I could persuade my wife and son.

Leave the motorhome and just bike it next time 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

druidh – pic I took about 15 mins ago… 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Just off the phone to the Mother-in-law and she tells me its been bit showery today. Are you hiding that in the photos?

epicyclo

Stop it Grum. That's not fair, rubbing it in.

I've been trying to persuade my wife we should move to Harris while we still have family living there.

grumm
    Free Member

druidh – strangely I don't get the camera out when it's drizzling. 🙂

Had a few glorious spells over the last couple of days though.

epicyclo – much as I love it up here I'm not sure I could move here. It's pretty windswept and bleak a lot of the time. Not always though…

grumm
    Free Member

Chase
    Free Member

First place I ever went skinny dipping – cold but great fun. Those empty beaches are just marvelous.
    If standing stones are your thing you must visit Callanish (that's a must regardless). The tallest stone in Scotland is up on the northern tip too.
    Stop and visit the little arts and crafts places in the old blackhouses as you travel around and chat with folk there.
    It's such a long way away that it almost feels like a pilgrimage getting there, but worth every minute.
    I need to get my kids there now, after all we did name our son after the place.

Ewan
    Free Member

The weather changes every 30 seconds, but there is fantastic MTBing.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the Isle of Lewis’ is closed to new replies.