Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tell me about term time working….
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, changing circumstances look like I’ll be needing to reduce my working hours, and term time working is one option, just to make it easier to deal with school holidays.

Anyone on here doing it/done it? How do you find it, pros and cons?

Do you get any other holiday as well? Our (civil service) blurb suggests that I would still receive a proportion of my full time annual leave on top of the school holiday periods, which I wouldn’t really need.

Presumably you can negotiate a deal where some of your school holiday time off is this annual leave? (Assuming civil service HR can get their heads round that!)

Cheers for any advice

johndoh
    Free Member

My wife works term-time only (and part time) and gets no holiday on top.

Teachers don’t get additional holiday either.

So I guess it is down to individual T & Cs?….

MoreCashThanDash

Looks like our blurb infers they are legally obliged to give you annual leave on a pro rata basis, just have my doubts that HR could sort that without giving me more time off than I want/need!

theotherjonv

My wife is not a teacher but works at a school. She works 40 wks per year, gets school holidays off (except i think 4 days at start and end of school year to put the school to bed and then to wake it up again before the start of term – printing timetables, etc.), and gets paid according to the local council banding x 40/52*

She gets 40/52 holiday as well, but that has to be taken in holiday time.

* oversimplification actually – It’s all worked out on a per hourly rate and then she gets paid equally over the full 12mo so she gets paid exactly in line with her contracted hours.

What is interesting is that when she’s been there 5 years, she gets 4 days extra holiday, which also have to be taken in the school holidays. So she still has to work the same 40 weeks, and be off for 12, but to compensate that 4 extra days of holiday can’t really be taken her hourly rate gets adjusted by the same proportion. Clever!!

nixie

My OH works 4 days a week. Her holiday is pro rata from her full time entitlement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about term time working….’ is closed to new replies.