Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tell me about tag alongs
  • simonm
    Free Member

my Duaghters coming up to 4, and she’s outgrown balance bike and will soon start on a pedal bike.
    I was just wondering about tag alongs for when we go out riding, instead of the seat I currently have

Are Tag alongs a good idea for learning balance etc ? or best to be avoided ? Is it better to get one that attaches to her pedal bike rather than a dedicated one ?

Whats your experience.

Cheers.

franksinatra

Some helpful stuff in a thread on this the other day

Tow a kid thread

I would separate the two things. Tag along great for going out on rides, covering distance and exploring. Kids own bike for learning on, playing in the street and gradually building up distance

TiRed

Had both a tag along and a kiddyback tandem (and both together!). The tandem is a bigger initial expense but FAR superior. Seat tube mounted tag-alongs can exert a significant wagging effect. I had a Burley that mounts to a specific rack, and this is again, far superior (and a lot more expensive). So in order of decending price/utility

1) Kiddyback tandem (from 4 will be fine)
    2) Rack mounted tagalong, gears are helpful (Burley and an old Isla)
    3) Seat-tube mounted tagalong.

None will teach a child to balance a bike. You will be doing that for her. She’s also a little young to learn gears, a tandem gets over that.

For reference, my then 6yo son rode London-Oxford on the tandem, he would never have gone that distance on a tagalong.

simonm
    Free Member

great info chaps, many thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about tag alongs’ is closed to new replies.