• This topic has 51 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • tell me about surly cross checks and anything else similar thats as veristile..
  • karnali
    Free Member

after a new cross based frame for the commuter come winter bike.
    main use will be commuting, other uses will be trailer pulling, may 2 cross races a year, the possibility of the 3 peaks race.

had a winter comuting on a tricross single speed couple of years back and enjoyed the simplicity of the ss and lack of winer cleaning that was needed. Thinking about getting another 2nd hand, but like the versatilty of the cross check in that i can put gears on for the summer and use it for pulling the trailer and wet weather road riding aswell

is it a good choice asa frameset for this and what else compares to it? poss the mk2 kaffenback but is that going to be disc only??

ta

marka.
    Free Member

I love mine, which I bought as a complete bike. It’s used both on and off road. For commuting (its main use) I’ve changed the tyres, and added mudguards and panniers when required.

If the gears died tomorrow, I’d definitely consider Alfine + drop-bar shifters. It’s nice to have that option there.

The only thing I would change, though, is to have disc brakes.

When I bought it (over a year ago) the only real alternative was a Kaffenback. The Surly won mainly because I was able to test ride one.

drofluf
    Free Member

Singular Peregrine few

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tommid
    Free Member

Mine is ace. Its fully racked up. Mudguards in the winter. Ridden it off road a few times on trail centres with cross tyres and its brilliant.
    Ticks every box, commuter, CX, hybrid, 29er, road bike, you name it.

corroded
    Free Member

I’m also looking at a similar bike. Currently liking the look of the Genesis Croix de Fer and the Peregrine.

Spin
    Free Member

Kaffenback ain’t no crosser. You’ll struggle with anything fatter than 32mm rubber and not a lot of clearance at that.

If you want versatility then the Cotic Roadrat is neat. 26″, 700c, disk brake, rim brake (700c only), rack mounts, single speed, geared, upto 45mm rubber with decent clearance on 700c (you can even call them 29″ if you want).

‘taint fancy though.

charliedontsurf

Nothing beats the surly cross check for versatility:
    Fixed
    Ss
    Hub gears
    Mech gears
    Mudguards
    Full on racks
    47mm tyres
    Tour
    Race
    Commute
    Go to the cake shop
    I rode mine to Belgium and then raced it.

gazc
    Free Member

i use mine for everything and it’s my most ridden bike. rack/guard/touring tyres with full panniers for commute/tour/shopping, trailer for hauling big stuff/beer, 35mm knobblies for the odd CX race and trail centre bash. currently singlespeeded and in CX mode for a local summer CX midweek series but happy commuting on it like that too

seems comfortable with anything you can chuck at it, even found it at home on the (small) jumps on our local trails/bmx track too 😀

only gripe i have is i only have one of charliethebikemongers white ‘my dandy horse brings all the boys to the yard’ stickers on it… 😉

marka.
    Free Member

corroded – Member

I’m also looking at a similar bike. Currently liking the look of the Genesis Croix de Fer and the Peregrine.

I also looked at those. I just didn’t like the Croix de Fer, even though in theory it’s ideal. It was heavy and there wasn’t masses of tyre clearance, so CX tyres and mudguards wouldn’t fit. The Peregrine is gorgeous but was much more expensive.

YMMV, of course.

mocha
    Free Member

it’s all been said! commute, tour, race, fixed, free, gears – do anything, go anywhere – if you could only have one bike, etc.

nedrapier

I’m happy with my Peregrine. It’s a compromise,obviously, heavy for a road bike and not exactly spot on for technical trails either. But I love the versatility. Rear rack and guards to come for the commute, which will make it less pretty, but it will be nice getting to work without a sweaty back.

I love the singlespeed after being a skeptic for ages, but really enjoyed it. I hadn’t realised how much brain space thinking about gear choice takes up, and it’s really nice just pedalling without needing to bother! Went to 1 x 9 for a SDW jaunt.

Can’t deny it’s pricey, though.

Singlespeed Commuter:

Off Road:

Tarty FunTime:

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Had a Cross Check for a couple of years now. I built it up myself and it has to be the bike I ride the most. It really is as versatile as the blurb would have you believe. I looked at the Road Rat and Kaffenback but the extra clarance for wider tyres did it for me.

Its no where near as heavy as some people would have you believe and the handling is brilliant. When I first built it up I ran it with road bike wheels and tyres and proved itself to be fast and stable through the corners. I’m now running touring wheels and tyres as I like bouncing across the rough stuff on it from time to time. I’ve had 38mm tyres and mudguards on there with no clearance problems and it could take fatter rubber.

Whilst it isn’t a flashy looking frame the build quality is spot on and the price makes it pretty good value for money IMO.

The Peregrine is a lovely bike, I have a Swift so I know how good the frames from Singular are, but it is pricier that the Cross Check and can’t be run with rim brakes. For some people thats a good thing, for some its bad.

You could always try a Karate Monkey if you wanted to be a bit left field. I’ve got one of those as well and its even more versatile than any of the other options discussed here. You can run whatever drive train and brake combinations you want with a KM.

Digger90
    Free Member

Cotic X is versatile.. OK, not ideally single-speedable but you can use an X for Road, CX races, Trails, Commuting, Faffing about on

It’ll run slicks, CX knobbies, Monster Cross, 29er etc and can run either Disc Brakes or Canti’s.

That’s why I bought one.

But a medical problem means I did not even get to ride it and it’s now up for sale if anyone’s interested.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-x-56cms-brand-new-2

karnali
    Free Member

if it were a 54 i would have been very tempted

sorry

STATO
    Free Member

I have a CC, great bike, picked it up SH off the classifieds here as i thought £300 new was too steep, how wrong i was. If it broke tomorrow id not hesitate to buy another immediately. Infact, its looking a little tired after some serious abuse and neglect over winter so i might just buy a new one anyway.

Previously i had a pompino, nice bike, great bike infact. Not as versatile as the CC but very capable and snappier handling, the CC beats it tho, its just such a nice bike to be on.

There has never been a time ive ridden it when ive thought i wanted to be on something else. I did buy a Surly LHT for touring/commuting tho, as the CC was just too much fun to nail down in touring mode all the time. So now it stays in SS-cross mode, ready for commuting/ cyclocross/ ragging in the woods/ long day rides/ anything you could want to do on a bike.

karnali
    Free Member

stato go for a new one and hey you could sell me thold one depending on size!!!

my only hesitation at present is trying to find one 2nd hand and also looking to see whne and how much the mk2 kaffenback is going ot be as it look slike having bigger clearance than the original one

antigee

been waiting a while for on one’s uncle johns to come back into stock
    mainly because can go and try for size

kinesis tripster is another option but no one seems to get excited about how they ride?

any idea how the cross check sizes up ? i’m 5ft 4 with a 29″ inside leg

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i love my cross check. It is heavy though, but doesnt ride heavy – only a problem for lifting over gates really.
    I very nearly went for a karate monkey, but wanted to be able to use the road spaced wheels from my old cross bike. If i could only keep 1 bike, it would be the cross check. As charlie says above, the ability to run it lots of ways makes it a winner. If starting from scratch though i would be very tempted by a karate monkey as that has even more versatility (and weight), but if you wanted to race 3 peaks you may not be allowed on a monkey.

Sizing wise, i got a 52 and have a 29/30″ inside leg. They come up longer than some i think. I was concerned this may be a little small but it is spot on with a 100mm stem and midge bars. THe only thing to watch out for is the short headtube – i have got a lot of spacers to get the bars where i wanted. Not much of a problem, but doesnt look as good as it might 🙂

DaRC_L

Had mine just over a decade and it’s been perfect for winter commuting – started off with gears but after salt destroying derailleurs a couple of winters ago have gone to singlespeed. It’s excellent.

Done some off road on it and some sportives on it – it’s even made it up Alpe d’Huez.

Sizing wise, i got a 52 and have a 29/30″ inside leg.

I’ve got a 52cm and a 31″ inside leg and it’s fitted fine.

karnali
    Free Member

sizing wise i’m 5’8 and alittle bit i’m think 50 or 52 using tt length

ta

antigee

matthewlhome Sizing wise, i got a 52 and have a 29/30″ inside leg

thanks that helpful

matthewlhome
    Free Member

should have added that i am 5’10” so long body and short legs 🙂

birdage

I’ve got a CC and tricross.
    As others have said the CC is fantastic, I have mine ss and it is without doubht one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ever rode. Eats up the miles and keeps track with bikes much lighter and more road specific. Obviously the swiss army virtues of the bikes is a big plus though it looks so good ss I don’t know if would want to put gears (or weight) on. I don’t think it could quite do the kind of single track the tricross is capable of and I know which one I prefer to lift over fences, gates etc. I know some people who have done some long and confortable tours on the tricross but I suspect the cross check would be better. On the surface both seem quite similar but I ride them both regularly and get different kicks from them. Doesn’t really help does it? Probably explains why I’m giving a Swift a go!

firestarter
    Free Member

Great bike many uses 😉
    Fixed commuter

Ss cx

Geared monstercross

STATO
    Free Member

my only hesitation at present is trying to find one 2nd hand and also looking to see whne and how much the mk2 kaffenback is going ot be as it look slike having bigger clearance than the original one

From what ive seen it looks like they just grafted an inbred seat-stay and dropout onto the existing Kaff, so at first glance it looks like there is loads of room but the chainstay clearence still looks tight.

Pics from Placid-casual…

kaffenback mark 2 by placid casual, on Flickr

charliedontsurf

‘avin some singletrack with olive the dog… crashy on another surly cross check follows.

On the way to belgium ssec
    CHECK MY ONIONS OUT

richpips
    Free Member

I had a cross check, no way I’d want to cart one up the 3 peaks.

penttik
    Free Member

I’m still collecting parts to build my single speed/fixed cross check. Been commuting on my steamroller fixed, so I’ve got a selection of fixed cogs for road use, but am trying to decide what size free wheel to buy for single track use.

What gearing (inches) do you guys run on your single speed cross check? Please specify on-road/off-road and fixed or free wheel.

Thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kaffenback has to be way better value – no discs on the Cross-check, no lighter.

I can just about get 42mm tyres in my Pompetamine if that’s a guide.

STATO
    Free Member

What gearing (inches) do you guys run on your single speed cross check? Please specify on-road/off-road and fixed or free wheel.

I run a W/I DOS-ENO, so my two freewheel ratios are usually…

40/16 on-road
    38/18 off-road

These both have almost the same effective chainstay length so i can change gear without having to unbolt the wheel, just requires a bit of brute force :0)

However, just recently changed to a lower offroad ratio as ive been doing some weekly CX races and the organiser likes putting in some harsh climbs. So right now im running…

38/16 on-road
    34/18 off-road

Thankfully the dropouts on the CrossCheck are long enough to cope with the difference, just requires unbolting the wheel, nudge the chain across, pull wheel back in drops and tighten back up.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mark TBF cx tyres and mudguards are an odd combo. The CDF has Crud bosses for off road use. And the Crosscheck is V/Canti as oppossed to the CDF being disc only.
    Just built a CDF, I’d been toying with the idea of one of these CX heavweights for a fair while, but the one criteria was that it must be geared to get up long non technical snowy/sandy/chalky/grassy climbs. And I wanted it to be proper off road capable. So for mine I cut the clamp on some Deore hydros to fit drop bars. Not that I’ve used cable discs, but it does mean I can decend like the clappers with just one finger coveing the brake. I went MTB gearing on the back to be on the safe side, road up front.
    It was a choice of Cotic X, that was too close to my ‘proper’ crosser. Road Rat, not recommended for off road. Crosscheck, I wanted discs, I know how good cantis are! Then a deal came up on the CDF.
    BTW I have had 42s in mine in the shop.
    However I had decided that I’d probably sell it when it was built to fund another training bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

My thing. Highly capable. Though I’d go for a crosscheck if your riding leant more towards touring and not something to take the place of an MTB.

oldgit
    Free Member

This shows the Midge bars. These were a revalation. The width is essential off road and the shallow drop gives a great all day road position. I might even put them on my crosser

cynic-al
    Free Member

Woodchippers are better (OK different)

oldgit
    Free Member

The extra extension on Woodchippers would I think be useful. But the Short Midges worked very well with bar end shifters. Just needed to shift with my little finger or heel of my hand.

Bar end shifters -I couldn’t beleive how good they are. I thought being what is really retrograde? item that they wouldn’t cut it. But in friction they go through the gears like a hot knife through butter.
    Putting them on my winter hack.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Mine has bullhorns and a basket on the front and does everything.
    Scares the legshavers on a Sunday morning too.

Would buy another tomorrow. Only criticism – the stickers are cack.

skyhigh_71

Hi Nedrapier – PM’ed you today reference few questions on your Peregrine build – please see your hotmail.

Thanks

skyhigh

Rik
    Free Member

Firestarter – did you ever get my questions about your 1.8 tyres??

charliedontsurf

Ratio. 42:20 for everything from road touring to xc racing.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Charlie.
    Do you go crab fishing in the winter?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘tell me about surly cross checks and anything else similar thats as veristile..’ is closed to new replies.