Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about stock options….
  • Kryton57

Apparently I’ve been getting some, every year for last 10 years, and some have been “vesting ” every year.

What does this mean, and what do with them?

Stoner
    Free Member

they’re worthless.
    send them to me.
    You do work for google dont you?

shifter
    Free Member

It means you need to find out how many and what they’re worth!

gusamc
    Free Member

and understand tax and any cash in implications/rules (e.g might have to hold for 5 years)

https://www.gov.uk/tax-employee-share-schemes/overview

Kryton57

Reading the bumph I recieved yesterday; I have some. Some have vested, some haven’t (seems like some vest every year and the total of “the award” is achieved over 5 years. I’ll be charged a tax amount in April (for what I don’t know) but the company will make an equivalent payment to me so its cost neutral.

Does this mean I have some cash sitting somewhere? Or it seems I may have company shares perhaps – what do Options vest into?

shifter
    Free Member

Re: vested – dunno but there’s a reasonable looking answer on Wiki.answers.
    We have a drip-fed monthly 1 for 2 share scheme where they are locked up for 5 years. Well, you can cash them earlier but you’d have to pay back the tax advantage (shares bought from pre-tax pay). Your’s may be “vested” for other reasons.
    IME company share schemes are well worth having 😉

brakes
    Free Member

when stock options vest it means that you have the right to sell them. the company grant them to you and then use them as a retention tool by making you wait a period of time until you can cash them in.
    the cash value of the stock to you will depend on the share price when they were granted and the share price when you sell them as you are given the ‘option’ to purchase them at a hopefully cheaper price than you can sell them for. if the share price has gone down they will be worthless.

Kryton57

The share price has dropped. Some internet research contains the word “lapsed”. Does that mean then that despite them being worthless, I can’t wait for the share price to rise before cashing in? I would have thought that would be a decent retention incentive (depending on the current / perceived value of course).

scotroutes

Oxo is OK but I prefer to make my own.

shifter
    Free Member

Not a great incentive if they didn’t mention it for ten years!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about stock options….’ is closed to new replies.