Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tell me about STI Brifters with MTB drivetrain…..
  • sadtomato
    Free Member

I’d like to convert my existing fairly retro build mountain bike to a drop bar machine.
    It’s currently running 9 speed Deore RD with a Deore triple crankset, vintage XT FD up front.
    I much prefer road brifters to bar end shifters – what are my options with getting as few parts as possible (I need a new cassette anyway)?
    I understand shiftmate’s might be the answer?
    Looking to keep the build fairly low budget…….

scaredypants

brifters (snigger – sorry) will work the mechs just fine IME, so make sure your new cassette and brifter ( 😆 ) are for the same number of gears and crack on

<brifter>
    😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brifters…NEVER USE THIS TERM ON STW.

But I’ll be kind. You can use any 9s sti and it will work with your rear mech and 9s cassette.

Probably not your front mech tho, you’ll need to get a 7-9s road one and bodge it. Cable travel is different.

scaredypants

oooh, I missed that it was a triple chainset – double road brifter ( 😉 ) works fine with double chainsets and mtb mech, can’t promise with a triple

sadtomato
    Free Member

Thanks – so if I keep an eye out for a triple bri STI shifter that would likely work with the XT FD and triple crankset?

ampthill

You’ll need a triple left shifter. But that should would work OK with a 9 speed front mech’

Old Sora will be cheaper. New Sora is nicer no shifter windows and both cables under the bar tape

This seems to be the go to guide for this stuff

Low Gear Range: Road Shifters & Gears For Easier Hill Climbing

RustySpanner

So what’s wrong with ‘brifter’?
    🙂
    S’what they are, innit?

cookeaa

Shifting shouldn’t be a problem, but just how “retro” are the brakes you’ll be pulling with your brifters?
    Not sure V brakes will play nicely… Canti’s should work though.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got a Deore LX mech on my CX bike working with a 105 shifter on a triple. Was expecting to have to do something funny with cable routing to get it to work, but it actually works fine with normal cable routing. Not sure if the cable pull is different to those from this century – my mech is an original LX from before it got revived, but then the OP says his is ancient (though I think old LX may be from before XT existed?) You should be able to do something with the cable routing to get it to work if not.

sadtomato
    Free Member

Cookeaa, V’s at the moment but I should have some cantis lying about if issues.

Aracer, my XT mech is so last century so I guess the cable pull will be the same as yours.

sadtomato
    Free Member

You’ll need a triple left shifter. But that should would work OK with a 9 speed front mech’

Old Sora will be cheaper. New Sora is nicer no shifter windows and both cables under the bar tape

This seems to be the go to guide for this stuff

http://www.cyclingabout.com/wider-gear-range-road-shifters-gears-for-easier-hill-climbing/

That’s a great link, thanks! 😀

antigee

i run some old 9speed ultrega shifters with a triple and an old XT front mech – it works but is a little sensitive, need to get cable spot on – i use a wooden wedge to hold the mech open while i tension up the cable then fine adjust with an inline cable shifter

have run canti’s fine but believe V’s are out without a travel adaptor (Pauls?) seem to remember mini vee’s are an option without an adaptor

looked at a bike with a new sora triple a couple of weeks ago for a friend nice looking kit usual shimano trickle down plus improvements review said cable routing better than old 105’s

smokey_jo

Mini v’s and road sti’s work very well without adaptors

larrydavid
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about STI Brifters with MTB drivetrain…..’ is closed to new replies.