• This topic has 32 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tell me about soft shells.
  • zippykona

I don’t know what they are but they might be what I need.
    I would like something windproof that isn’t boil in the bag. Most of the time I ride it’s not raining so it doesn’t need to be waterproof.
    Years back I had an altura jacket where the front was like a normal jacket but the back was like a fleece.
    It was useless. Was that a soft shell?
    Would the Endura Windchill II Jacket be like the altura?

rascal
    Free Member

It’s a soft touch material – different to a hard shell conventional waterproof coat.
    A guy in work has a very nice Showers Pass black one for sale with big zip vents up the front for ventilation. If I didn’t have a Gore Phantom and a Castelli Gabba I would have had that.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve got a blue Altura attack in medium if that happens to be your size.

zippykona

Thanks all but I’ve got evans vouchers that need spending!

rOcKeTdOg

They are usually windproof and have various waterproofness. They tend to be hot. Perfect for deep winter. I had a endura stealth jacket but could only wear it when temps were below -1 with just a baselayer. Rest of the time it was far too hot. Other softshells have been the same. Fine off the bike but too hot to exercise in.
    Basically a rustle free cagoule.

Windchill jacket is windproof but once full with sweat or rain it becomes heavy and uncomfortable

sirromj

If it’s more windproof you want maybe you can get away with something cheaper than a softshell? I quite like my One Industries ION Windbreaker. Its lightweight thin material but enough to keep the cold edge of the wind off without being too boil-in-bag.

Northwind

I quite like em but they’re very situational- not as good for layering as a seperate thin windproof, so they can often be too hot, or not waterproof enough. Layering just gives you so much more choice from a small range of kit.

But, one thing softshells do incredibly well is cheapness. You can buy expensive ones, sure, but a shell fleece from a cheap outdoors place can be a really good bit of kit for pennies.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Soft shell tends to be a catch all term these days for anything that isn’t a hard shell (i.e. What you would think of as a traditional waterproof) jacket, rather than it being one specific type of material – as such there’s loads of choice of different solutions and materials to fit your needs.

I’m inclined to disagree with the above comments and I love them for biking and only use a hard shell in the heaviest of down poors. I’ve got a couple of different weight / thickness of material ones that I use (the more traditional stretchy almost thinneoprene feeling materials) depending on time of year and find them increasingly versatile. I run very hot when biking and find a soft shell breathes a lot better than most hardshells for heavy physical excersion. The trade of being that theyre not as water resistant, however as they are normally very wind resistant you don’t get cold, so being wet isn’t an issue.

I find it best to use them layering up – base layer for warmth / insulation, soft shell for water resistance and windproofness (and a little extra warmth) and then I carry a lightweight hard shell that I stick on if it’s absolutely spanking it down. Secret is to get the right one for your needs, when they first appeared years ago they were all quite thick bulky items on the whole, but these days you can get soft shells from very lightweight to very warm thick jackets. I use a mountain equipment mission jacket most often

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Love Gore softshells, not too warm and keep light rain out, a great trade off IMO . More like a slightly warmer windproof jersey than a jacket, and rear pockets for tubes etc, chest pocket for phone.

Zip off arms are handy too.

Kahurangi

IME they’re almost always too warm, not waterproof enough and because of that lack versatility.

Something that’s more of a windproof jersey would be dead useful though if you can find one that’s not mega warm and still breathable enough.

BadlyWiredDog

I think where people get confused is that ‘soft shell’ is a blanket marketing term covering kit that ranges from fully waterproof with taped seams right through to stuff that’s just minimally wind resistant with nominal water aversion.

That makes it really hard to talk about ‘soft shells’ as a category because there’s so much variation in what they are. The biggest division is between fabrics that use a waterproof-like membrane, which makes them windproof and very water resistant, Gore’s Windstopper is the best example, but not massively breathable. And woven softshells that don’t have any sort of membrane or coating, but rely on a very close weave to create wind and water resistance. Not as weather proof, but generally more breathable.

As a rule you’re juggling weather resistance against breathability – the more weather resistant something is, the less breathable it tends to be and vice versa…

Personally I find membrane-type soft shell too warm for biking, but double weave stuff works really well in colder conditions, but everyone’s different. If you run cool, you might think Windstopper is the best thing since tubeless tyres. If you run hot, it’s like being one of those boil in the bag cod with parsley sauce things that used to feature in the 1980s.

All of which probably explains why people’s experience of ‘soft shell’ is so variable.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have a cheap Karrimor one. Love it, much prefer it to a waterproof unless it’s really wet. Not too thick, doesn’t take up much room in my bag, bit of stretch. Also use an Altura gilet which I suppose is a softshell and that’s a really handy bit of kit.

dovebiker

I have a Gore Softshell that has taped seams across the shoulders, so stays dry even in persistent heavy rain but the difference over a hardshell is that it keeps me warm – OK with a baselayer down to about freezing. Also has pit zips and vents so you can easily dump heat. There are different types of softshell fabric, from an unlined ‘shell’ to heavier, fleece-backed materials so a lot comes down to the specific jacket, materials selected and the design in terms of pockets, zips, vents etc. I’m quite happy to wear a lined softshell all-day but only wear a hardshell in heavy rain, otherwise I’ll overheat / perspire too much which can wet-through a baselayer.

zippykona

Would this be better for my needs as I don’t need it to have even a smidge of water repellency?

https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-fs260-pro-sl-thermal-windproof-jacket-EV250380#read-reviews-header

rOcKeTdOg

Those jackets are lovely, they are an athletic fit though so bear that in mind. I’m usually a lrg & would wear an XL (got them in at work so I’ve tried all the sizes on)

chakaping
    Free Member

I have five or six softshell jackets for use in various conditions…

Altura Attack – Basic but very versatile with hood.
    Patagonia windbreaker – Well made obvs, mesh fabric under arms, very breathable, can wear as single layer for wet, warm rides.
    Endura Stealth – as mentioned above, waterproof but hot, pit zips, doesn’t get used much.
    Scott Mind – Made from Windstopper, quite water resistant, warm, best choice for snow.
    Aldi “premium” softshell – Well fitted, three pockets at rear, quite water resistant, bit warm, good for winter road cycling if not hammering it down.

jamiep
    Free Member

Just get a Gabba from Evans if they have your size. I look at Evans’ own brand. Not as nice but still good, good reviews https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-king-of-the-downs-softshell-jacket-EV275962

iainc

OP, the Endura Windchill is IMO a very useful cold weather top. I wear it this time of year a lot, in temps of 5-10 degrees with a thin baselayer, and if below that a slightly thicker one. Above 10 degrees I find it too warm. It sheds spray and drizzle well, but in a proper downpour get s soaked and heavy. Also a great deal from Evans at present as they have them at half price…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I bought a https://www.merlincycles.com/altura-peloton-transformer-windproof-cycling-jacket-101689.html a few months back. On Sunday just gone, in the quite chilly afternoon (~8C?), I was warm and verging on too warm with a merino base layer and this jacket with sleeves over the top on a hill rep session on the Wazoo. https://www.strava.com/activities/1262911144/analysis

Without the sleeves, it’s fine up to 12C or so, if I’m not doing a prolonged high intensity workout.

I’m thinking about ordering one of https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-force-long-sleeve-cycling-jersey-64977.html , as good reviews, plus I’ve been very happy with all Funkier kit I’ve bought so far (baggies and well padded cycle shorts, again from Merlin).

There’s some soft shell jackets at PX for ~£34 in their current sale.

FOG

Got two , a Madison soft shell hooded waterproof and a Gore zippy-off arm thing . Both are excellent but only come out in depths of winter. The waterproof is too bulky to easily pack into your rucksack so only usually worn when you are going out whatever the weather. The Gore gets used throughout the winter on the road bike but I always carry a light waterproof as it is water resistant but not up to a real downpour. It is too hot on the mtb

mark90
    Free Member

Aldi “premium” softshell – Well fitted, three pockets at rear, quite water resistant, bit warm, good for winter road cycling if not hammering it down.

I have one of these. It didn’t get much use at all due to being a bit to warm (I do run hot) so I cut the sleeves off. Now as a gilet it gets used much more, keeps the chill off without overheating.

It forms part of my layering system with a basic pertex windproof smock, wearing either/neither/both over a base layer.

Hardshell if it’s tanking down.

benp1

I have lots of softshells, I really like them. But as has been said it’s a massive general term for anything vaguely windproof or water resistant. Cheap ones are cheap and often not very good. Good (expensive) ones are usually excellent, but they are all quite different so you’d pick the one for the job

My favourite 3 are:
    – RAB VR Alpine Lite – the most breathable top I own, amazing. Used it for a 2 day peak district biking trip last weekened
    – MH Super Chockstone – my regular biking top. More windproof than the above, very stretchy, very comfy
    – Montane Dyno Stretch – my walking softshell, stretchy and comfy

Other softshells range from a buffalo shirt to gore phantom. I’ve always considered windshirts to be different

Andy Kirkpatrick has a good article on softshells

fifeandy
    Free Member

@sofaboy73 and @BadlyWiredDog pretty much covered it.
    The confusion isn’t helped by poor descriptions from the clothing manufacturers, and lack of info from material manufacturers.
    People often reference ‘Gore Windstopper’, but Gore actually produce several fabrics under the ‘Windstopper’ name that range from very thin like that used in the Castelli Perfetto, to thicker and fleece backed.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have one of these. It didn’t get much use at all due to being a bit to warm (I do run hot) so I cut the sleeves off. Now as a gilet it gets used much more, keeps the chill off without overheating.

Very creative.

I agree it’s a bit warm if making an effort, so tend to keep the Aldi jacket for steady winter rides.

Garry_Lager

Softshell with lightweight hardshell in the back pocket that sofaboy mentions above is a good setup for a big ride – find softshells are great for 95% of non-summer riding but it’s nice to have an extra layer when the rain properly comes down.

I mainly use a gore phantom – definitely not too warm for me, and I’m a naturally well-insulated type who does well in the cold. Wear it throughout Autumn and Winter on night rides.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Non Stop Erotic Cabaret was a landmark album of the early 1980s, hard to believe that Marc is pushing sixty.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think it’s a Gore phantom I have as well Garry, was only 50 quid in Halfords, brilliantly versatile jackets.

benp1 has a good shout too, Montane Dyno are great.

PJM – ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

*spoiler alert*

Try saying “Soft Shell” in a Sean Connery type accent…

I’m sorry, it’s been a long morning.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Non Stop Erotic Cabaret was a landmark album of the early 1980s, hard to believe that Marc is pushing sixty.

Has it started to decompose, so the vinyl now stretches around someone, as if wearing a jacket? 😆

richardthird

n/o/goat thanks for the Altura Transformer Link. Bought. I have an older one which is my go to cool weather shell, but it’s getting a bit manky. I like that the arms are windproof too, unlike the couple of DHB long sleeves I have where it’s just the body.

I don’t often remove the Transformer sleeves, but use the zips as pit zips effectively. It’s level of breathability and water resistance is just fine for our typical weather.

I’ve got an Aldi winter softshell jacket for proper baltic conditions.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have 3 or 4, none are particularly hot.

Endura convert for off road
    Gabba for on road
    And a Lusso for when it’s a bit colder

benp1

Oh dear, I just remembered I have an Aldi one upstairs and I also have the Altura Transformer (the red one with the windproof front and breathable back)

I think my softshell count is into double figures… I even gave one to a mate as I had so many!

Del

agree with fifeandy – wot sofaboy and bwd said.
    FWIW i have a gore phantom and i find it heavy and sweaty for me. YMMV, but i wouldn’t use it until 0C.
    it’s been completely displaced by a hagloffs boa i bought for casual use, that got pressed in to service when the zip on the gore failed. stretchy, sleeves you can pull right up, light enough to wear from about 10-8C downwards, heavy enough to shrug off wind and most rain, and has a collar and ( helmet compatible ) hood i can hide behind if needed. this, coupled with a montane featherlight smock i can throw over the top if it’s really filthy, have me sorted for all my cool weather riding.
    the boa is ~500g all-up weight so i’d suggest that’s the sweet spot.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about soft shells.’ is closed to new replies.