Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Tell me about Santa Cruz Superlight's
  • forge197
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a lighter bike for stuff like Kielder 100, 10 under etc….. The superlight seems to tick the weight, travel and simplicity boxes and the small at least on paper appears to fit well.

So if you have one or had one what were you thoughts, I'd be looking to get a 2010 and running it with 120mm forks.

Also any alternatives I should consider want to get to a sub 30lbs build.

Andy

Others will disagree but I think that a 120 fork spoils a superlight. Much prefer mine with 100mm forks. I think mine is great. Really like it for big days in the Chilterns or south west or the easier trail centres like Afan or brechfa.

Check out the Anthem as well. Wish I'd tried one before I got the superlight.

Forge, think I've got a kielder ticket so we should hook up. Will pm you. Am also up your way first two weeks in June 😀

aviemoron
    Free Member

I had one for years, ran it v light as a xc race bike and loved it, latterly put 120mm forks on it risers and bigger tyres used it on big Scottish epics and still loved it. The wife rides it now! Early ones wore out bushes quickly, but don't think that's a problem now, suspension action simple, effective and stiffens when climbing in the granny ring – which I like. Would have another (I'm now on a SC Tallboy)

forge197
    Free Member

Cheers Andy will take a look at the Anthem.

I'll be easy to spot at the Kielder as the back marker 😉 , be around for weekday evening rides in first couple weeks of June not around the first two weekends, drop me mail.

Aviemore – I've not found much if anything negative on the superlight which is unusual, your comments echo those of most others.

TimCotic
    Free Member

The 2007 ( or later) re-designed frame is the one to go for. Robust bearing with low maintenance and stiffer rear end. My bruv has a 120mm Reba Team bolt-thru on his, and I have a U-turn Rev on mine 100, 115, 120 are fine, 130 is too much.

I just saw the latest WMB review and their only gripe was that for £2200 you still got pretty cheap kit on it.

nuke

Well just to add a little negativity, I found the BB pretty low causing a fair degree of pedal strikes and felt the suspension was pretty inactive when braking on bumpy descents when you need to brake and scrub the speed. I'd be test riding the Anthem X personally. Should imagine the Anthem X is lighter as well as the Superlight ain't exactly superlight either.

earl_brutus

had mine for 5 years now and its been all over the UK and done a few 24hr races, trail centres, peaks epics and even down the towpath to the pub…love it feels like more than 100mm of travel, absolutely flies downhill….ano finish looks mint after a wash, just swapped the forks for some reba teams in time for the bristol bike fest, gonna give er another blast this weekend…

smiffy

Well just to add a little negativity, I found the BB pretty low causing a fair degree of pedal strikes and felt the suspension was pretty inactive when braking on bumpy descents when you need to brake and scrub the speed. I'd be test riding the Anthem X personally. Should imagine the Anthem X is lighter as well as the Superlight ain't exactly superlight either.

This couldn't sound LESS like a description of mine!

drain

Love my Superlight. When I first got it I also found a fair few pedal strikes compared to a VT, but after switching to 170mm cranks no worries (or maybe I just adapted to it?).

It does seem to be best suited to 100mm generally but having 120mm when pointing down does allow it a bit more forgiveness to my ineptitude – which is why the Durin Marathons 100-120mm are a great match (having also run it with a Reba 85-115 and Rev 100-130). It think the frame warranty is for a 120 limit.

Perfect bike for TransWales and Kielder last year, shame that can't be said for the rider 😕

Garry_Lager

I'd defo ride a CDale rush for comparison if you're thinking of a superlight. Seem v similar (both low bbs as well) – although I've only ridden the superlight v briefly. The Rush is a great all rounder for UK riding and seem to go for good prices s/h.

Andy

Oh and I do get pedal strikes as well when I ride mine after other bikes. Having said that I do love it. Its the one bike that never fails to leave me grinning after a ride. Have built mine lightish for an XL; 25 lbs. XTR etc.

forge197
    Free Member

Tim was planning on getting frame and forks have some bits on a donor bike 🙂 The reba team with a 20mm was my plan.

25lbs sounds good

Andy

25lbs is with 100mm QR forks, XTR throughout, lots of titanium and carbon also. So it is a compromise to get it down to that weight. Although its an XL I suspect there are lighter 100mm frames out there.

forge197
    Free Member

Mine would be a small to start with so that must save a little my aim for this project is ultimatley 28lbs or less though anything below 30lb would be ideal.

Will spend some more time looking around.

Andy

Spesh XC would be another to look at. Nice frame and a lifetime warrantee too.

Travis

love my SL. I run 175 and sometimes get pedal strike, although 2 years later, I'm learning.
    I run 100mm on mine, and after riding one with 120, I think 100 suits it better.

My only worry would be, are they going to do a carbon one, as they have carbonised everything else.

jad
    Free Member

I've had one for a couple of years now and love its simplicity. Not really noticed it stiffening under braking but like the feel in comparison to a 4 bar bike which seemed to squat when pushing hard.

I use it on the road a lot to get to the offroad bits and it's efficient. Offroad, I don't bother with pro pedal.

I use 120 mm Rebas and think they suit it perfectly.

Would love a carbon one…

forge197
    Free Member

Travis – I read some rumours on the Superlight think that's why I've not just done it. I am very much considering many 100 – 130mm options.

dickie
    Free Member

How about a Morewood Zula?

From UK Bike Store

Zula Review

martyntr
    Free Member

I've had a Superlight for the last 3 years. Initially I ran it with 100mm Reba races, which were fine but a little under forked for the Mid Wales trails where I live. I swapped over to 120mm F120's in Nov 2008 and it changed the bike completely. I find it a much better ride, for hitting big natural descents while maintaining a light enduro bike persona.

My next bike will be a Santa Cruz, but I'm looking at a Tall boy (as I'm 6'3")…….

tazzymtb

loved my old one but always felt a bit heavy for it's travel, gone through loads of different manufacturers and frame designs, now love the performance and ride of ellsworth. I run a 25.5lb epiphany with 5.25" travel and 2.25 tyres and it's mental quick (goes to 24.5lbs with my 2.1 tyres on). If you're after something a little racier have a look at the linky below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ellsworth-Truth-Frame-Costom-Fox-Float-Shock-/140406020525?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20b0d9d9ad

Travis

if they do a carbon one, my wife will be unhappy with me, as we've just got her Juliana going, she'll be wanting a carbon one of those as well

Andy

If Carbon why not just go straight to the Blur LTC? Druidh has a small not to far from you. I must admit also I like the look of the Tallboy.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

That morewood is wikid awsum. One of the mags had one in recently with a White lefty on it. Beautiful looking machine, but hellishly expensive, in that build anyway.

muppet4
    Free Member

I love mine, 24.5lb xt/xtr hope and def 120mm rebas.
    I weighed an anthem and they were identical weight – 5.6lb frame/shock.
    The sc is far better and perfect for marathons,

solar
    Free Member

Look at a superlight / anthem, what made the superlight so much better muppet?

goslow

My Superlight weighs in about 28lbs with not too light and not too expensive gear on it.
    XT drivetrain, Deore brakes, 100mm Reba forks, Hope/mavic wheels and Raceface Evolve XC finishing bits.
    I like it lots.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

I have an 09 superlight with 120 rebas.
    It's one of those bikes that i just "clicked with" straight away.
    Don't use pro-pedal on the climbs and the rear end just grips on the techy uphill sections.
    Don't have a problem with pedal strikes, but pedal striking is down to numpty riding or beginners to be honest.

nuke

😆

OP asked for thoughts and I assumed he wanted positive and negatives. I gave a couple of reasons why it wasn't right for me and tbh the SL only suffered the issues I mentioned on certain types of trails/descents. For the reasons I gave, it's one frame I didn't "click with" straight away and what I ride and on that basis I didn't keep it. Its still a good frame and I'd think the majority of people would be very happy with one but, as I said, worth testing riding other options like the Anthem X and Truth.

Personally, having also had a Truth, I preferred it to the SL and I'm looking at buying another one. Although I would be interested in test riding the Zula as hadn't seen that before.

brassneck

Don't agree with any of that. I've got a 2001 model and yet to find anything I'd swap it for. Only issue is tyre clearnace on ones of my vintage, but think thats fixed on the newer ones.

benman
    Free Member

Got a superlight 09 frame. Suffer quite a bit with pedal strikes too, but thats probably because of the rocky, technical climbs I like doing.

Very fast on singletrack, and has short enough travel so it doesn't feel like riding a sofa. I find it slightly flexy on the downhills compared to my HT.

muppet4
    Free Member

Solar – I find that the cruz climbs better, doesnt bob as my anthem did even on pro pedal and you can "feel" the terain better with the single pivot if you no what i mean!? Easier to maintain with one pivot.
    The sizes are a pain too, i was too big in the leg for a medium with 410mm post but found the large too big. I did suffer from pedal strikes though but the 120 fork raised her up and pretty much sorted that.

Dont like the fact you struggle to get a bottle in and out with rp23 shock but get used to it.

936ADL
    Free Member

Loved mine while i had it. Long gone now but it was great. 2003 or 4 model i think. Anyway here's a pic for old time's sake….

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

carbon one must be on the way with the release of the two new carbon frames besides the 'superlight' moniker is a bit out of step with reality.

forge197
    Free Member

I am probably steering away from the SL seems there are some interesting alternatives and with SC looking APP be interesting how that pans out. Though a used example would be an option but not RRP

That said this thread has produced some nice alternatives and that Morewood is probably near the top looks lovely, not a main stream manufacturer ticks many boxes, the other would be a light build VF2 Chumba.

Will do some more looking over the weekend, and probably strip the donor bike down!!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I'd second what Gary said about a Cannondale Rush, very similar to the SC, single pivot, 110mm rear travel and you can get a carbon one too if you fancy. I'm running Rev 100-130, 100 for uphill, 130 for down hill and anywhere in the middle for anything else.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm an Anthem X owner and it's quite unreasonable how fast it is. It's an excellent marathon bike and is wonderfully capable. It's not phased by technical stuff and climbs like nothing else.

Definitely don't discount it.

Coasting
    Free Member

Dont discount the SL they are fantastic bikes and very undervalued because of the simplicity of the suspension.The bottom brackets no lower tan any other 4 inch travel bike and does mean the bikes very stable at speed and on technical trials.Tghe beauty for me is that the bikes good enough to be a race rig and yet also a very capable trail bike.The Yeti ASR is also worth a look,very similar in its application.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Sorry to drag this thread back, but check out this VF2, built for speed and the owner is running a shorter shock to make it slacker and lower to good effect and great race results! 25lbs as is.

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks for all the ideas over and above the SL some I hadn't though of or knew about.

I've gone for a Yeti ASR-5 Alloy will post when built and the final weight 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Santa Cruz Superlight's’ is closed to new replies.