Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about riding with your dog
  • dobo
    Free Member

Does anyone do this? what type of terrain, how far, whats your routine? any tips? stories and pics welcome 🙂
    Hopefully we will have a dog in the near future.

jam-bo

Read this.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trail-dogsnooooooooo

And see how much of it gets repeated….

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s nice, and they learn not to get under your wheels.

dantsw13

I’m about to start – I reckon the key is to see it as walking your dog on a bike, rather than going for a full on MTB ride.

dobo
    Free Member

dantsw13 i agree thats what i would be looking at doing.

certainly some interesting views on jam bo link..

joelowden

When i’m off work – two weeks a month ; my dog comes out every day with me .
    Normally two or three red runs a week at kirroughtree with smaller runs inbetween .
    My dog , a lab, loves it . As soon as the contact lens box comes out she’s ready to go .( She wasn’t much use when I came off and broke my arms tho’ 😀

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I have a lab. 3 years old. I ride for about an hour max. Take water and collapsible bowl with me in summer. Only ride at quiet times. Thought at 20mph she was flat out, then she saw a rabbit! She cuts corners and waits at the side of the trail for me to go past. Helps to have something on her collar that makes a noise (her dog tag rattles on the collar buckle) so you know she’ s behind you! Lost her once, fortunately some nice mtb’ers found her and called my wife: “hello, we’ve found your dog”…….. Oops.

Alpha1653

She wasn’t much use when I came off and broke my arms tho’

You broke both arms in a crash? How unlucky are you!

Tracey

Fin is now thirteen months old and now goes out with us on a regular basis. We started her off slowly in line with the vets recommendations and she looks like she is enjoying it. She does like to untie shoe laces and on her last outing up onto Cutgate managed to singe the fur under her tail on Abigales rear rotor. We take her water and treats and always check her paws afterwards.

Abigale has got a Go Pro harness for her but she hasn’t got round to using it yet

funkrodent

Taken Bonnie out to Edale and Hebden Bridge (Pig, Pecket Well etc). She’s half lab, half collie. Happy to confirm that she destroys me on the descents. Have taken her to trail centres, but is more problematic as she gets too close to other riders.

I’d say you need to make sure that she knows to steer clear of the bike (start her on short rides, with little penalty for failure), that she is fit enough to follow whatever loop it is that you’re doing, that you take water with you (or plot a route with lots of trees/rivers) and that she has good recall as if you’re out in the country you’re bound to encounter sheep/cattle at some point.

I always try to plot routes that have long, slow uphills, followed by steep, techy descents (Edale and Hebden pretty much fit that bill); as that way there’s very little flat out riding that will properly knacker her out.

Highly recommended, my dog absolutely loves going out with the bike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about riding with your dog’ is closed to new replies.