Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about replacing a worn out rim
  • Nick

Just noticed that the rear rim on my SS has split, wondered why the brake was grabbing a bit and I think I may have found the source of the awful creaking… anyway

How do you go about replacing a rim? I've seen references to taping a new rim to the old and swaping the spokes over, any tips or things to watch out for? Do I get all the spokes over really losely and then tighten them up, how do I get it tensioned and true?

BigJohn

If you're happy to give it a go it isn't really that hard, but it might not work and will take half a day anyway.

You need to have an identical rim, otherwise the spokes will be the right length.

The only tool you need is a spoke key.

Get the rim and tape it quite loosely next to the old one, making sure it has the same number of spoke holes and if the spokes are offset (slightly left & right pointing) get them aligned. Best to keep the valve holes together.

Remove the tyre and rim tape and swap the spokes over one at a time, keeping all the overlaps the same. The reason you need to tape it loosely is because the last few spokes can be awkward to fit.

Do each nipple up loosely at first then get on with trueing it.

You don't need a jig, turn the bike upside down and use a felt tip or chalk blu-tac'd to the frame/fork to get the alignment.

Tighten up the spokes bit by bit till its fairly true. First get it round, then get it true, then get it dished right, then get it tensioned. That's the right order.

You will need a rim tape, and lots of courage when you ride it first time, when it will go ping ping ping, but that's normal.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doesn't NEED to be the same rim, as long as it will accept the old spokes.

A screwdriver is good for removiong the nipples once you've loosened them all a couple of turns.

Cleaning/lubing the threads and replacing any duff nipples is wise.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Pretty easy to do but don't follow BigJohn's advice word for word – its easier to remove the tyre and rim tape BEFORE you tape the rims together 😉

odannyboy
    Free Member

if you swap the spokes over one at a time, do you loosen them all first or just undo one at a time while all the rest are full tension?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Loosen all of them, so that they're all slack.

BigJohn

Doesn't matter – there's going to be a lot of unscrewing/screwing up either way. But you get to find out if there's one seized if you slacken them all first.

Nick

cheers chaps, presumably if I have a rim that has the same number of eylets and that on offering it up to the existing wheel it's pretty much the same depth, then it should work ok?

I'm thinking an electic screw driving could be handy. And beer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheers chaps, presumably if I have a rim that has the same number of eylets and that on offering it up to the existing wheel it's pretty much the same depth, then it should work ok?

More or less!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about replacing a worn out rim’ is closed to new replies.