Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tell me about removal firms…
  • woody74

Just had a quote for £1400 to move a 3 bedroom house about 20 miles away. Price includes packing but seems expensive to me. What of people think.

Stoner
    Free Member

I dont think that sounds too bad.
    3 or 4 guys, two days work, plus lorry.

I think we were quoted over 5k by one well known firm (for whom my grandad used to work 60 years ago) to move us from Landaaan to Heaven.

In the end we went with the chess-piece one for about 3k I think. That included some storage and a piano 😯

BTW if you want to do it yourself (which we did on the last move), buy 50x Ikea bags. They stack like boxes, are easy to fill and carry and v strong. ANd can be sold on on eBay or used again (I sold half on and the other half I use to move logs around)

Liftman

Luton van, yourself and a couple o mates

br
    Free Member

Compared to doing it yourself, it could be – no idea on how much stuff you’ve got, nor the time/costs it would take.

We’ve moved many times, and only the first time did we do it ourselves (with Mates help). Every time since we’ve used companies, and gone for the full pack/unpack option (as it is usually barely more).

In simple terms, probably 3-4 blokes and a large lorry employed all day. So £1400 inc VAT sounds in line.

trail_rat
    Free Member

based on the hassle of moving between rentals (With our own van) and no furniture….

sounds like a bargain if you have a house full of furniture to move…..wasnt till we moved into our house and realised how little we actually had that i appreciated why folks pay to move.

Mugboo

If your anywhere near Bradford try Darvills. He’s a friend of mine & very good. If it’s possible to beat that price, he will.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds good. I had 2 guys pack everything for moving to Oz. Was remarkable how effective they were and how quick they were. The distance is fairly irrelevant as it’s packing etc that will take the time.

mark90
    Free Member

We paid just over £1k to move a 3 bed house about a mile down the road. That included some packing, 2 guys for a short day including loading a lot of stuff on the van. Had 4 guys for some of the actual move day to move the large items and any dismantling/mantling required. Included moving the contents of a very full garage.

woody74

Thanks everyone, so it sounds like £1400 isn’t a bad price then. Fair enough, certainly not doing it myself, far to much work and I have moved enough times to know what pain and handwork it is.

allfankledup

Sounds steep to me

Any man+van firms around ?

If you look at labour being 150 a day then 1400 sounds high…

http://www.van-plus.com/prices/ has three blokes with van at £51per hour. So 600 for the day ?
    Naturally you have to move to London first to use them, which would increase your outlay here…

trail_rat
    Free Member

do three blokes with a van come with sufficient insurance to cover your belongings should the van crash on the way to your new gaff ?

most man and van types ive hired have been the sort I wouldn’t open my garage door infront of …….

samuri
    Free Member

We only moved 3 miles but I just hired a big van for three days and me and my son moved everything.
    It was really hard work especially since it was so hot and by day three is was pretty much me shifting everything about as my son had run out of energy but we got there. £100 rather than the grand we were quoted was a much better deal even if it knackered us out a bit.

mark90
    Free Member

Plus insurance to cover damage to either property. Otherwise any damage and the new owners could be chasing you for redecoration costs. Then there’s a couple of blokes the day before to do the packing. Plus packing boxes, which are usually included with proper removal firms,even if you self pack. We had well over 100 boxes. It all adds up.

The previous time we moved we did it all ourselves with the help of a mate with a van, cost me beer and pizza. But that time we had the luxury of a week cross over from the rental to the new purchase. We moved in 3 days. Can’t do that when you have to be out and hand over keys by lunch time as is often the case.

The time before that I moved 200 miles with the help of a mate and a hired Luton. No way could I fit my life in a Luton van these days, would be tight getting the garage stuff in 😕

acehtn
    Free Member

Cubic volume ?
    Access at old house, access at new house any issues, long walks, stairs etc etc.

Ex Removal man 🙂
    Best blind job, done over the phone, employer never visited, classic line “your doing it because you have the biggest lorry, don’t worry it’s a mid terrace 2up-2down”

2500 cubic feet in volume truck. Open front door to house, the hall is stacked to the ceiling with boxes, as is the front room, as is the stair well, only enough room to move about. 1x bedroom is solid boxes.
    Outside toilet, full of boxes, brick shed at bottom of garden only a few boxes but rather a lot of a hillman imp car, wings, seat, engine, wheels axle etc etc

Yep only a small 2up 2 down, it was made to fit the lorry.

Get another quote, pricing varies lots on where you are and who you use. We got loads of London work because we always came in way cheaper than the London firms.
    £1400 don’t seem bad.

Caher

Shipley – choose the best bidder.

iolo
    Free Member

I recently moved. 2 men carrying plus 7.5 tonne lorry – £450. The move was only 7 miles but it went fine. They came and saw pre move and access to new property.
    The actual move was in one of the crazy February storms that smashed all the railway lines up. You could hardly stand up. Wales were playing rugby in the afternoon so they wanted to be finished. Because of that they started really early.

sync
    Free Member

Last move from a 3 bed cost 275£ cash. Decent local company used them twice now. Average moving price seems to vary from 250£-600£ with the local companies for a days work. The big chains were, however, way higher price wise.

ElShalimo

Acomb Removals, York
    They work all over the UK, provide packing service and are very competitive
    Nice people and reliable

anagallis_arvensis

Sounds about right compared to our 2 bed house move last year. Packing service is the best thing ever. They also put beds/cots etc back together, connected washing machine etc which is a great help on what can be a busy day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about removal firms…’ is closed to new replies.