Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about Reba servicing
  • thepurist

I'm thinking of having a crack at this myself – have googled around and found the service manual plus a source for the service kit (assuming I don't need the seals as well as the internals). So what else do I need to know before I lunge in with my spanners? Anyone had it all go horribly wrong?

Stoner
    Free Member

Get a large socket (24mm or 28mm I forget) for the top caps, makes it less likely that youll scratch the anno.

Circlip pliers, whilst not wholly necessary, will prevent lots of swearing.

Rockplough
    Free Member

If you want to do a full service then that does include replacing the seals. I don't know what you've got already, but from my experience:

– A socket is ideal but you can use an adjustable spanner if you're careful.

– I'd say circlip pliers (both internal and external) are a definite.

– Putting the fork in a bikestand makes things much easier.

– Get a syringe for putting oil in the lowers.

As it's your first time set aside plenty of time and take things slowly and carefully. It can't really go horribly wrong.

stumpy01

First time I did my old Judys I replaced the XXX seals at the top of the lowers, but didn't have a proper press to get them in.

Man, they are a tight fit! Never did get them completely in!
    So, I'd not replace them if I were you! Everything else was easy though, so long as you have the right tools and as mentioned do things in a slow, methodical manner.
    Make sure you have the service manual.

thepurist

Thanks folks – think I'll finally get round to buying some circlip pliers too – well overdue as I've spent far too long faffing round trying to get the damned things off over the years.

nbt

Can you post links for your sources? I have some rebas to service

johnikgriff
    Free Member

youtube

Look for rock shox dual air service (or something like that) – I'd give you a link but I'm in work and youtube is blocked by the firewall. Nice people from Rock Shox's have put on very good offical videos.

I started servicing my own Rock Shox forks about 3 months ago after watching the vidoe's, I've now done my lyriks and rebas, my wifes recons and a couple of sets of tora's. Its one of tose jobs that once you've done it you think why you never bothered before.

One tip is get your fork oil from a motorbike shop, I only paid £7 a litre and its the same stuff.

Go on you know you want to.

thepurist
    thepurist

Thanks for the tip johnikgriff!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

See its easy.

Dont forget the rubber hammer (a claw hammer would make a right mess) and get some syringes. I got my grease from TFtuned, expensive but seems good, they also have a video about stripping boxxer lowers, which are exaclty the same.

Good luck. Take your time and print off the manuals. I had my lap top with me for my first set and just used the video like a cookery program. Took about 45 minutes for the first set, well under half an hour now (once they are off the bike).

zangolin
    Free Member

You will need the full tech manual from the RS site – covers all recent forks (approx 6mb):
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/TM_MY09_E.pdf

SRAM tech video home page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SRAMtech

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bookmark oh and have this link for Enduro Fork seals from the US

Enduro Fork seals

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Reba servicing’ is closed to new replies.