Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Tell me about RC Helicopters
  • k-sugden
    Free Member

I fancy building a kit but know nothing about then all i seem to be able to find on the net are ready to fly jobs but I really want to build it my self any ideas.

slimjim78
    Free Member

start simple, build your skills on a 4 channel, then up to 6 channel.

buy a readily available kit, with readily avaialble spares – you’ll need them.

e-sky do some nice RTF’s which are very upgradeable, giving you the option to pretty much rebuild with more pimptastic parts.

john_drummer
    Free Member

None of the low budget helicopters are available in kit form; to get to that level you’d be looking at minimum of a .30 nitro job, for example the Century Hawk.

There’s a heck of a lot involved in just getting one to the state where it is ready – and safe – to fly. I’ve been there. apart from the heli kit itself you would need the following:

5 servos.
    receiver
    engine
    fuel filler
    starter motor & accessories
    All of this will set you back at least £400.

and most importantly of all, a mentor. Someone who can help you set it up and teach you to fly it. They usually come attached to an official model flying club, affiliated to the British Model Flying Association.

true helicopters with full collective pitch control are very difficult to learn to fly – imagine trying to balance a beach ball on top of one of those exercise balls, in the wind.

If you are determined to fly helicopters, I recommend doing it in the following order:

1) get a micro coaxial helicopter, e.g. the Blade MCx – this will teach you the basics and help with orientation and can be done in your front room – it’s small enough to fit on the palm of your hand
    Avoid something with co-axial main blades and an upward facing tail rotor. They’re toys.
    2) get a 450 size electric helicopter with full collective pitch. And a set of training undercarriage. Avoid fixed pitch, they’re a sod to control. I have a Twister Storm 3D heli. You’ll probably also need a full heli-compatible radio set, unless you get something that comes with a radio. And some spare batteries.
    3) get a simulator. You can crash this on the computer all day long without it getting expensive
    4) find a church hall (or bigger) sized room to practice with for no2. You should be able to fly this outdoors on a calm day
    5) find a club

If you find yourself still enjoying it and actually flying the 450 outdoors on a calm day, proper flying, not just hovering tail-in (as far as I ever managed to get), then you can get scale bodies for these beasts.
    If you get beyond this point, then perhaps then should you be looking at helicopters in kit form

where are you by the way? You can find your local BMFA club here

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about RC Helicopters’ is closed to new replies.