Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Tell me about Range Rover Evoque
  • benz
    Free Member

My current car is on a lease which ends in a few months.

So, we’ve been looking at potential options.

A local dealer has an older but very low miles one owner Evoque within my budget. Will come with 1 year warranty, etc, etc.

Drives really well, nicely finished, perfect condition.

Anything I should be aware of in terms of what to look out for, etc?

I know it is not an Audi or Skoda….

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Kettle on*

gobuchul
    Free Member

drlex
    Free Member

Some reading here?

I had one for a day as a loaner. OK drive, like a Freelander, but disliked the lack of rear view – reminded me of an old VW Scirocco.

jimdubleyou

Is it an actual 4×4 or just a 2wd show pony?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

4wd Auto? If auto 6 or 9 speed?

Sqeeky lower pulley, haldex clunking (especially in reverse with lock on).

Great drive and if it is 4wd, much much bettter off road than anyone would expect (once you work out your ground clearance).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Town and county ?

Just don’t let the shysters service it.

Parents evoque came out of service plan with them( part of deal when buying) with original oil and fuel filters on …. Dated .

When changed was like a different car ! It felt like it had 200bhp not 68.

Wheels corrode under laquer for fun andlikevws rear brake calipers like to sieze up.

Comfy comfy comfy things though you get out fresh even after long drive

Free Member

I’m in Germany right now, and I’m surprised at how many of them there are driving about. A recommendation? You decide…

benz
    Free Member

4 x 4. But 2wd would also be fine. Elevated driving position was nice. Not in the market for a VW van….

mattyfez

Never been in one but they look like they are low on rear seat space and luggage space for the size of the car?

They look smart in suppose but I’m not sure what else they have to offer against the competition in the 4×4 arena.

benz
    Free Member

Not Town and County. 5 years old with 12k miles. Will be fully serviced inc all filters as part of purchase.

fisha
    Free Member

Nice cars. Essentially based on the freelander which in my opinion is fairly good in terms of reliability. I had a freelander, and also a evoque for a short while – so comments are based on both.

I found the 2.2 diesel engine to be plenty powerful when under boost, but gutless at low revs and no boost.
    Manual clutch can be quite grabby at the bite point due to the dual mass flywheel.
    Automatic is nice enough and I liked the flappy paddles on occasion, but on the whole it seemed to not get too confused most of the time.

The freelander had an issue with the rear diff pinion bearing, which could also be applied to evoque. The bearing was under-specced, leading to premature wear. Its not too difficult a job to change out the rear diff though.

I had a turbo issue with my freelander, and also a throttle body issue. Both fairly easily fixed.

Light coloured leather can get jeans marks quite easily apparently.

We are considering an evoque as a replacement for one of our cars.

jimdubleyou

Never been in one but they look like they are low on rear seat space and luggage space for the size of the car?

Same for me, practicality seems compromised by the body style, bit like the X6.

oldracer
    Free Member

tuboflard

Auto box on the one I test drove was poor, very slow between shifts and felt like a big jump between gears. OH went for a manual in the end which is nice enough but prefer my X3 if I’m honest.

Always get well treated at the main dealer though.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I can’t knock the quality etc but I couldn’t get over how small they are inside. Completely pointless having such a big car when there was no more room inside than a corsa. I don’t like how they look either but I think that’s down to the lack of function over form.

clubby

Had one for a couple of years, but not great as a bike car. Nice drive, 2.2 engine good. 6 speed auto crap, 9 speed smooth but constantly hunting for gears on back roads. I went for manual.

andrw13
    Free Member

Surprised at the number of helpful, sensible comments here……for balance
    No!
    Why?
    Are you a wannabe footballer’s wife?
    What’s the difference between a cactus and a Rangerover?

andyl
    Free Member

I was not a fan until I sat in one. Cabin (front anyway) is a lovely place to be and feels very safe.

Talking of which safety is very good as it’s pretty solid.

Space is poor, viability poor. Freelander 2 is a better vehicle if you want space etc.

CountZero

Not driven an Evoque, have driven a full-strength Range Rover and I can see why people like them, but personally I’d have a Disco 3 or 4, the Evoque seems too much of a compromise, and if all I wanted was the higher seating position with 4×4 capability and decent space then there’s plenty of likely cheaper options around, like the latest Qasquai, Kuga, Hyundai is35 or Tucson, the Renault Kadjar, which is based on the Qasquai platform, but apparently a much better car.
    The Kadjar would be my choice, although I drove a fairly new Qashquai recently, and it was a really nice car, with a heated screen, which surprised me, and a very nifty camera system that showed a 360 degree view of someone walking around it.
    Go for the Evoque if you must, but there are plenty of other options out there, and I’m sure many will be cheaper and probably better.

richmtb

My sister in law has one. They are tiny inside for such a big car. Nice enough to sit in but not exactly exciting to drive.

Also the bills soon add up for expensive hair and nails to keep up with the other Evoque drivers

ampthill

5 years old with 12k miles

On Friday I bought a 3 year old car/van thing with 20k miles. I was worried that wasn’t enough miles and to a certain extent still am

Under 3,000 miles a year seems a bit odd….

bearnecessities

What’s the difference between a cactus and a Rangerover?

[STW]
    A cactus has pricks on the outside?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Under 3,000 miles a year seems a bit odd….

That’s about what we do in the “big” car. Only use it for longer journeys.

I work away a lot, so it often sits for a couple of weeks without turning a wheel.

convert

We had one get stuck in the snow just near our house a few years ago. Slithered down the hill sideways (past people at the top of the hill warning that is was dodgy but he knew better) before becoming wedged into both banks where the road narrowed. We spun it round and sent him on his way. The two great big dents on the side where my hands were pushing probably didn’t impress him when he got home and always made me wince when it went past me afterwards. Must have been made of cheese.

Oh and that thread last week about how minis are a ‘lady’s car’ largely because a goodly number are driven by women. The evoque has a similar thing going on…but it’s more a ‘cheap’ new money fake tan pikey vibe. If a car was a famous person the Evoque might be Simon Cowell – probably very competent but you would be mortified if you had your photo taken with him. HTH.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Not Town and County. 5 years old with 12k miles. Will be fully serviced inc all filters as part of purchase.

Probably its first service.
    Any stamps in the book?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Completely pointless having such a big

They are not a big car they don’t even pretend to be.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Don’t want to be negative but 12k in 5 yrs? That is a lot of slow urban miles for a diesel. Expect to replace the DPF at some point and enjoy.

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t want to be negative but 12k in 5 yrs? That is a lot of slow urban miles for a diesel.

Or only used occasionally. No way you can say how it’s been used.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t want to be negative but 12k in 5 yrs? That is a lot of slow urban miles for a diesel.

. Is it your car ?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Perfect car, fits in just as well at the horsey club as it does handbag shopping or a white tie fund raising dinner.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Is that not just badge snobbery though? It could be an absolute horlicks of a vehicle but as long as it keeps the social status up. I’d rather take a more reliable fit for purpose vehicle.

loddrik
    Free Member

The wife has been looking seriously at these. Couldn’t give a toss about ‘the image’, she works hard and likes them so that’s all that matters. She’s gone as far as pricing it up and getting insurance quotes so I’d say she’s likely to take it further at some point. She’s not show this type of interest in any other car, regardless of what I suggest.

Only thing I can’t understand is why there are so many in that crap maroon colour…

Inbred456
    Free Member

Maybe it was owned by a cyclist who rode everywhere local and only used it on the motorway for longer trips. Yeah right because that is what the majority of us do isn’t it. If there is no way you can say how it’s been used look for another one that you can. Trail Rat if you don’t want anybody to offer an opinion then why post?

maxtorque

POSITIVES: looks nice

NEGATIVES: er, EVERYTHING else…..

😉

benz
    Free Member

Some helpful and ‘interesting’ responses. Thanks.

I have no issues with the ‘image’. Nice design (in my eyes) and appears solid and well built. Rear space is on par with my existing CX5 but the cabin layout plus full panoramic roof makes it feel more spacious. Before the CX5 I had a Qashqai (our first ever new car), so can make some comparisons. The Evoque feels better quality than both.

It has been serviced annually at LR dealership.

It’s not white nor ‘Kahn’. Not that I really have an issue with both those things as everyone to their own.

These car, watch, shoes, clothing type threads are always interesting as I wonder how many of those who opine a different option which would do the same basic function, ride bikes which are ’boutique’ and run components which are above Deore in the range…

onlysteel
    Free Member

4×4 for ladies who lunch.

wilburt
    Free Member

I always thought they were a bit of nobs car but had a lift in one recently and the car and the owner were very pleasant.

Not much room in back at all though.

convert

These car, watch, shoes, clothing type threads are always interesting as I wonder how many of those who opine a different option which would do the same basic function, ride bikes which are ’boutique’ and run components which are above Deore in the range…

I’ve got no issue with buying quality or buying ’boutique’ – just pointing out (the obvious) that it has a certain image. If that image is one that you are either comfortable with or happy to buck the trend of then that’s great. They seem to hold their value well so plenty of people must like the image or at least can ignore it.

bensales
    Free Member

I say this as a fully paid up Jaguar owner…

The thing about JLR is they build great cars, badly. So as long as you go into it eyes open, you’ll be fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Range Rover Evoque’ is closed to new replies.