Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tell me about…. Pivot bearings.
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

My first FS bike (2011 Trance X), and I usually like to do all my own maintenance within reason, but realise I don’t know anything about pivot bearings! So, anyone care to give me the dummies guide – things like…

– Are they bushings, ballbearings, needle bearings?
    – Sealed or adjustable
    – How to know if there something wrong with them – play/knocking?
    – Maintenance – should I be re-greasing them, tightening, or just leave well alone?
    – When it comes to replacing – how easy are they to get out, do I need special tools, where do I get replacements, and how much?

Thanks all….

geetee1972
    Free Member

It all depends on the frame but usually it is the following:

– Are they bushings, ballbearings, needle bearings?

Typically a combination of bushings and bearings. A few frames come with needle roller bearings but mostly it will be regular spherical cartridge bearings.

– Sealed or adjustable

They will all be sealed cartridge bearings. Some will be adjustable but it’s not that common.

– How to know if there something wrong with them – play/knocking?

You will get play in the rear triangle. Bear in mind that some designs will only allow you to rotate the bearings themselves when they’re under load. Intense make a point of this, saying that just because you can’t rotate the bearing in its housing when the frame is disassembled doesn’t mean the bearing is shot. They are designed to rotate under load.

– Maintenance – should I be re-greasing them, tightening, or just leave well alone?

Leave them alone, but under no circumstances jet wash your bike!

– When it comes to replacing – how easy are they to get out, do I need special tools, where do I get replacements, and how much?

If you know what you’re doing its not hard, but you will need a drift set. Most people, even the ones that are pretty decent mechanics, will have a shop replace the bearings, but it would be unusual to need to this on a regular basis. They’re pretty well sealed these days and as long as you don’t jet wash your bike, you shouldn’t need to do anything more than the occasional re-grease.

Hope that helps.

perthmtb
    Free Member

That’s great GT thanks! Looks like I can just forget about them on the whole then.. seeing as the bike is new and they don’t need regular maintenance/adjustment. Oh, and I don’t pressure wash my bikes, and in fact have gone from a compulsive washer to only cleaning the drive train & forks as a result of a thread on here a while back!

Anyone with a Trance X who can add any specific insights/advice about the particular bearings they use….?

RustyMac

There is a gut on this forum that goes by the name keasae, he runs a small company throughan ebay shop selling bearings for bikes, mainly for suspension and wheel hubs, I have used him in the past for bearings and he has helped me out alot. I have a different bike from you (Iron Horse Mk3) but the principles are generally the same with linkage driven suspension maintenance.

Below is a link to his youtube page here he has put up a number of realy usefull videos on how to replace berings and what to look out for if you think your frame may need a service.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KaeSae1?feature=watc

Hope this helps

Rusty

MarkN
    Free Member

I have one of the Early Trances when the Maestro suspension first came out. If it is the same, I suspect it is then there are 5 sealed cartridge bearings involved. They are fairly easy to do yourself so long as the bearing has not completely collapsed then it is a bit more tricky. I for get the sizes but 2 of size A 2 of size B and then one big one for the seat post. I fond the first set to be very poor so fitted Enduro Max bearings. These have lasted better IME. Keep the jet wash away from them and that will help longevity.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There’s a ‘gut’? What, is he really fat or something 😀

RustyMac

There’s a ‘gut’? What, is he really fat or something

😆

It would appear i shold not attempt typing before i have had atleast one cup of coffee. Proof reading may have helped too 😳

gut = guy
    throughan = through an
    here = where

bloody hell that post is terrible – sorry.

Oh and for clarity Keasae isn’t fat but I am on the chunky side 😉

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

MarkN, it seems like I have eight very similar looking bearings (small silver plate about the size of a coin with an alleen key recess), plus one that looks quite different where the shock attaches – so I’m guessing things have changed a bit in the maestro configuration.

RustyMac – thanks will follow the link… and isn’t Kaesae the one who’s building the perpetual motion machine – hopefully that means his bearings will last forever 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol @ Rustymac…. your spelling was atrocious (lol i cant spell that word…. nice of you to remedy your spelling…. 😉 :mrgreen:

RustyMac

spelling – not a strong point
    bike riding skills – not a strong point
    making a tit of my self on an internet forum while trying hard to give some advice – definite strong point 😉

i’m off for another cup of coffee 😳

geetee1972
    Free Member

To be fair rusty the ‘y’ and ‘t’ are next to each other so it’s not really a spelling error just a typing error. But it was funny.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey eveyone!

Thanks rusty, always good to be called a fat belly 😀

The 08 onwards Trance and Reign frames run a different set up in the lower shock mounting, there are 2x bearings in there which replaced the shock mounting directly to the frame via bushes.

Easy enough frame to service except for the upper rear triangle being an odd shape, I recently produced some tools to service those frames however I would say if your on a budget use a vice and simple aluminium sleave tools, there is more room for error or damaging the frame but if your careful you should be fine.

As for bearings it depends on the quality and design/formant of the bearings, Giants bearings aren’t all that good quality and suffer from rusting in europe far worse than the States / Canada or Australia etc

Firstly you should always check your shocks bushes when you have play in the back end, then move onto the bearings, check for play but also binding / seizing.

The problem with modern frames is that because they are light they lose some of the old school frames strength, so if the bearing binds then rotates in the housing it will ware it away and may lead to it collapsing in some cases.

With the frame build up check for any side ways play, with it stripped down check the bearings condition by rotating it with your fingers.

Good luck 😀

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hi Kaesae, thanks for the advice – and sorry about the ‘perpetual motion machine’ joke 😳

As its a new bike, hopefully it’ll be a while before I’m facing the prospect of replacing the bearings, but in the meantime it’d be nice to know what you’d recommend in the way of regular care & attention – if any?

I know they’re sealed bearings, but I’ve read elsewhere of people forcing in some grease every now & then to keep them smooth – what do you think? Just don’t want to be posting on here with shot bearings in a year or so’s time and have someone tell me I should’ve done this or that since new to get the best life outta them!

I haven’t even tried dismantling one yet, but assume that the round silver disc with the allen key indent in the middle is just a dust cap of some sort, and that if I remove this I can get access to the bearings?

Thanks….

thepodge
    Free Member

I have done chuff all to my trance, some of the bearings are shot some are ok. one day I’ll replace them with the ones I bought a couple of months ago, but I’m lazy.

kaesae
    Free Member

@thepodge if they sieze or collapse they could damage the frame 😯 and you might end up damaged as well 💡

perthmtb
    Free Member

Aha! Kaesae, seeing as you’ve popped back up on the thread – any thoughts on my question – ie do I just leave original bearings alone ’till they need replacing, or try and force some grease in there every now and then to extend their life…

Ta.

RustyMac

In regards to on going maintenance i just leave mine alone, keep an eye on them by doing the checks in the youtube videos and replace when required.

They are essentially like every other sealed bearing on your bike, wether that be in your hubs or pedals.

Opening them up can lead to damage to the seals if not done properly and that will lead to premature wear.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about…. Pivot bearings.’ is closed to new replies.