Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about Perth, WA
  • igm

As in what’s it like to live there, bring up kids, ride bikes, cost of living, climate etc?

The headhunters have been on and the job sounds interesting. Done the normal Internet searches and sent a message to someone who worked for me and is out there now, but you guys will know something (or make it up).

And where’s the nearest ski slope?

Sonor
    Free Member

That’s a joke, right?

The nearest place I can think of that gets snow is the stirling range North of Albany, and the snow doesn’t fall often.

woody2000

New Zealand

igm

Though those answers might be about par. Somewhere in the southeast of Aus I think.

What about the more serious questions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Victoria/NSW and looking good there right now. Mt Buller/ Falls Creek & Thredbo to have a look at.

As for the rest look back at the other threads kind of have it sorted

unovolo
    Free Member

Some of the dullest people you will ever meet live there,
    Be prepared to travel even if its a beer at your local pub.
    The “Hoons” in there Utes can be quite entertaining.
    Food in the supermarkets can be expensive and nothing like the variety you get in the UK.

That said I think its a great place to bring up your kids,my daughter enjoyed school a lot when we were over there and certainly is a healthier lifestyle over there.

Some good bike stores over there but the emphasis is more on road bikes than MTB.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’m certainly using the road bike more over here and look enviously at green mountains whenever I see the UK on the tv.
    It is expensive to live here and the govt have just about ended a tax break for temporary residents that made that easier to swallow. You’ll be needing to earn over $100k to be living a reasonable standard of living (assuming you want to see something’s when you’re over here..) given the cost of rental properties that have had a slight refurb since 1972! 😉

Climate, currently getting into winter so down to 3 degrees at night, perhaps zero ever now and then, but of it’s a clear day then you can be looking at 18-20 during daytime. Summer can get a it unbearable when its hitting 40 plus, you have to be out early to get the exercise in.

Skiing, dunno, most people seem go to europe from here, I’ve got a mate going to Japan this year for his fix!

It’s great for kids here, our son has just turned 5, started school this February and has taken to the place like a duck to water. The school system seems to be very good at primary level but a lot of people then send older kids to private schools, as I believe that the state schools aren’t viewed in a great light. There is plenty to do with youngsters, thanks the climate

Throw me a pm if you need any other advice, what line of work are you in as well? Companies love a direct approach over here, recruitment agency costs are high and you an drive a better deal if you cut them out..

Rich

perthmtb
    Free Member

Some good info here – Previous living in Perth thread

chewkw
    Free Member

You’ll be needing to earn over $100k to be living a reasonable standard of living (assuming you want to see something’s when you’re over here…

Crikey … $100k … that’s rather steep so how does average Joe or Sheila survive? Average income?

😯

perthmtb
    Free Member

Crikey … $100k … that’s rather steep so how does average Joe or Sheila survive? Average income?

They own their own house, bought years ago when prices were about half, so don’t have to pay exhorbitant rents, or pay off a large mortgage like new arrivals…

OzInbred

IIRC the average is 68K

chewkw
    Free Member

perthmtb – Member

They own their own house, bought years ago when prices were about half, so don’t have to pay exhorbitant rents, or pay off a large mortgage like new arrivals…

Hhmmm … just hope the property market does not turn bubble …

OzInbred – Member

IIRC the average is 68K

Wow! That’s very high. Approximately £44K here …

How about the earning for a teacher at primary/secondary/hight school?

How about a fresh graduate getting their first job at a company as management trainee?

😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Perth, WA’ is closed to new replies.