Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tell me about noise cancelling headphones please.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are they worth the extra even though I don’t travel that much? Will my ears be able to tell the diff between some £90 Sennheiser PXC 250 ll’s & some £300 jobbies? Shall I just get some decent ‘ordinary’ ones?
    decisions decisions!

My ‘in the ear’ headphones cost about £145 and they are far superior than anything I’ve used at the £300 price point. Being a sound engineer I get to use all sorts so I’ve got a little experience with them

Etymotic research. Google them, pretty cool

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Get yourself some of these T Series you will never look back, custom made very comfortable and sound awesome, let me know where you are and I can point you to a dealer to take the ear impressions.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks heckler but those are just about £550 over my budget.

ska-49
    Free Member

My dad travels alot in his job (flies at least once a week) on internal flights in the US but also internationally. He seems to know a lot about headphones and has gone through many for his travels. He’s now set on Shure. Fantastic sound quality and lots of the models offer noise cancelling. Ive used them several times and its amazing at how much of that awful droning in the cabin gets muted with the headphones. Lots of the frequents flyers rate them. You see them for sale in all the airports. I suggest trying as many models as possible but I think the noise cancelling is definitely worth it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I borrowed some noise cancelling “on ear” headphones from first class cabin, and tried a few out in the shops and formed a brief conclusion that they all sounded worse than those Sennheiser CX 300 posted up there, which seem to do a far better job of blocking out external noise.

andyfb78
    Free Member

Another for Shure,

tried noise CANCELLING, and they were ok, bose better than dr beat or whatever, now got shure in the ear noise ISOLATING and they sound ace, pack small, and remove aircraft drone better than ANR jobblas…

in my humble opinion based on trying several…

scaredypants

I bought some panasonic ones (RP-HC55) for about 30 quid in an airport duty free. Expected they’d be shite but pretty good IMO.
    (IR not a hifi buff)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 15 electronic noise cancelling headphones. There is only one word to describe them – awesome!

They are always going to outperform in ear types that work on the earplug basis (like the CX300’s of which i have a pair as well). Some chat sat next to me on my last flight was trying to talk to me and I couldn’t hear a word he was saying. At work I can stand next to one of the big generators, turn on the headphones and I can barely hear the genny.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Thanks heckler but those are just about £550 over my budget

Not if you opt for the T3although single driver they still sound very good, and £245 half the price of the others, or you could go for Elacin ER 15 with the earphones, these can be used for concerts and other noisy environments, and all you need to do is take out the filters and plug in the headphones and you have great sounding music with a great acoustic seal, I have some and they great in noisy environments.

Hanky

Another vote for the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 – I use them flying regularly and very impressed. I know Bose are a Marmite company but for me they are well worth the money and rated on What Hifi too. I paid just over £200 as Best Buy were disappearing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried Shure and hated the tonal balance, they sold on well though 😉

My CX300s lasted a few months before the cable went.

Now on specked, seem fine, I think the key is a hefty ear-plug. I hate Bose too.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve got some original Bose quiet comfort headphones. Awesome.

Fantombiker

Well, I travel a lot on planes and trains….the best I’ve used is etymotic. Why…? as well as pure sound pleasure, also they take up almost no room, don’t need charging and can wear them walking down a busy london street without looking like a dork…I use them often on the bike, but because they don’t let in any ambient sound they are dangerous you need to keep your wits about you. They are not expensive for a reason….cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have some Sennheiser, got them about 3 years ago as I travel a lot on long haul business trips. They cost about £150 from memory. They work really really well and mean you dont have to turn the volume up as loud to hear clearly so that creates much less “stress”. They are also good for sleeping, you turn the noise cancellation on (without listening to any sound) and it quietness the aircraft noise markedly.

I also have some “in ear” headphones which cost about £50, they are good but not as good as the cancellation headphones.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about noise cancelling headphones please.’ is closed to new replies.