Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tell me about headset bearings
  • Pook

Having had a bit of a ‘gritty’ feeling headset, with sluggish movement and repeated loosening, I thought I’d best have a look at the bearings.

The ball race at the top end was mucky and the bearings were happy to drop out of the race quite easily.

The bottom one fell in two.

Now, I realise I need to put some new bearings in, but what exactly? Simply replace the ballraces by taking my knackered ones to my LBS and asking for replacements? Order some cartridge bearings (whatever they are), get a new headset?

Please give me a clue!

slowrider
    Free Member

Just put it back together without them, what’s the worst that could happen?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

is it 1″1/8th a.head?? if so you can buy a sealed h/set for £7 from crc
    CRC

(minus the top cap)

Pook

Dunno.

Plus, need it tomorrow too!

coatesy
    Free Member

First thing to do is check the condition of the cups(the bits in the frame)and the cones(one on the fork, one at the top), they should be smooth and not pitted. If they’re relatively ok then take some of the better ball bearings to the shop and buy a pack of loose balls that match.Pack the cups with grease, and then fit the balls in one-by-one(leave enough room for one ball for running clearance), then re-assemble the rest. Expect to re-adjust the headset a little once it’s bedded in.If the cups/cones are badly worn then it’s probably time for a new headset, decent quality cartridge bearing types (bearings are in a sealed, press-fit unit)are probably your best bet for the long term unless you can get a well sealed loose bearing jobbie and maintain it regularly(we all plan this, but few of us actually manage it).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about headset bearings’ is closed to new replies.