• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by yoda.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tell me about head torches that will work for running as well as biking
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

There seem to be a lot of Cree / XML Led bike lights on ebay, along with dedicated headtorchs of a similar brightness, but I see that the Hope R4 can be head mounted with out a helmet, for running use, which is tempting. Has anyone used the R4 as a running light?

I’ve got a Magicshine MJ808 (?) which they sell head straps for, but think the battery might be too bulky even in a pocket.

Looking for headtorch recommendations that may double as a bike light…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I will be flamed for this..
    http://www.ayup-lights.com/
    light, bright and with great back up.

BadlyWiredDog

Silva does a brilliant running light - http://silva.se/product-family/runner – that I reckon would for biking as well. It has a remote battery which keeps the head unit really light and it looks to be very similar to the Pavé bike light, so the mount may be adaptable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maximusmountain
    Free Member

I bought these from amazon because there were stupidly cheap. I bought 2 actually, both work fine, attach to my bike well and have a head torch attachment come with them. Cheap as chips, not overly resistant to water but a bit of gaffa tape sorted that out. I also use it for running, people definitely know I am there.

At £20 can you really complain?

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve a gloworm x1 and headstrap ….has 3 different lens options …..bike/run/camping …….. 8)

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I just bought one of the cheap Cree XML LED lights from ebay for my bike which came with a headstrap but I reckon the bulky battery pack would be a bit of a pain when running.

I use a Petzl Myo XP for general use and as a backup light when biking. It’s a good light – very robust and reliable but they’re not that cheap.

What about just getting something like the Alpkit Gamma for £15?

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=288

aracer
    Free Member

Another vote for maximusmountain’s suggestion (or something very similar also available on ebay or DX). People I know use lights looking like that (I’m not sure if they’re all equivalent, but all look very similar) for night orienteering and reckon they’re pretty good.

Just get a small bumbag to carry the battery – you won’t notice it’s there.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve already got an Alpkit Gamma and its fine, but having done a couple of night run races, it felt like some people behind me had just turned on some football floodlights whilst I was holdng a candle.

The Ayup and Petzl ones look quite pricey for the quoted lumens but I’m tempted by the Ayups….or the cheapo Amazon head torch or similar from ebay.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Best option has got to be a Petzl Ultra

Though definitely not something one would call cheap!

paul4stones

I’m a bit disappointed that Alpkit haven’t brought out an updated Gamma given the advancements in lighting in the last few years but the Gamma is still what I use. I did forget it the other night and got caught out by the nights closing in – quite exciting and hopefully good for the reflexes 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Best option has got to be a Petzl Ultra

Not by most people’s definition of “best”. Kind of outdated now with a claimed 350lm – even my “ancient” homemade quad XR-E should easily beat that (and is also far lighter). Plenty of brighter branded commercial offerings if you want one of those as opposed to one of the chinese ones already linked above. I’ve yet to find a high powered commercial one which matches my homebrew for weight though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Ayup and Petzl ones look quite pricey for the quoted lumens but I’m tempted by the Ayups….or the cheapo Amazon head torch or similar from ebay.

Just remember lumin counts are as accurate as the the claims made on internet dating sites….

Happy with my Ay-Up unless some idiot with a daylight maker sits behind me. Used as a pair for riding bar and lid.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

The Ayup and Petzl ones look quite pricey for the quoted lumens

They are but as above I wouldn’t get too distracted by the quoted lumens. It’s the usable light which is important. Also consider battery life and reliability.

The Myo does look puny on paper compared to some of the Cree LEDs and similar but in use it’s plenty bright enough for running – it’s got me over Crib Coch in the dark and down Loughrigg in the pitch black on the bike after my main light failed. For general use I only need to swap out the batteries a couple of times a year.

For reference, the Cree light I’ve just bought is identical to Maximusmountains – it’s really bright but I wouldn’t want to rely on it 100%.

MSP

It’s a shame the myo doesn’t have an option to move the battery pack into a pocket or backpack, I really fined it irritating having a battery pack on the back of my head.

I am generally happy with a tikka xp2, although if I know I am going on more treacherous trails I have 2, one on my head and one round my waist. I find 2 light sources gives much better depth perception.

xanboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a light and motion Solite and I can’t recommend it enough

lemonysam
    Free Member

I used a Gloworm X2 for last year’s night orienteering league and it was spot on. Comfortable, bright and easy to operate with gloves on.

By the by I’ve used the ultra, hope r4, silva Alpha and various other ones and it’s easily as good as any of them. The fancy cradles on the alpha and Ultra are clever but don’t actually make that much difference whilst the light quality and power is a LONG* way below modern torches.

*long

brassneck

I find the various CHinese XML jobbies a bit heavy/intrsive for running and stick with the AlpKit Gamma, but I don’t run with anyone else. I find a bit of dark encourages effort anyway 🙂

yoda
    Free Member

I use the hope R4 for both biking and running.
    Get the long lead extension and put the battery in a bumbag or jersey pocket.

Whilst it’s not as light as some of the Petzl type lights it has a decent range so on open moorland you don’t spend any time running in the wrong direction

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about head torches that will work for running as well as biking’ is closed to new replies.