Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about guitar strings please
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

String on daughter’s 3/4 electric guitar has just broken. They are the original ones that came fitted to the guitar. Can I just put anything on? Not looking to spend loads. Do I need to replace all 6 strings?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

oo me too!

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need to put on electric guitar strings but basically any electric guitar strings will do
    I am not sure if more expensive ones add anything tone/sound wise as I play classical

1nten5e
    Free Member

change all 6, it’ll be better for it, and its only gonna cost around a fiver

trailmonkey

YOu only need to replace the broken string.

Only change all if they are sounding dead.

phatstanley
    Free Member

…or take the broken one in to a half-decent guitar/instrument shop and they should sell ya single one, assuming they have it in stock.

monkey beat me to it….

stevomcd
    Free Member

They are all different gauges (thicknesses) obviously, so you need to know which string to ask for. As above, it has to be an electric guitar string too, acoustic strings are different.

From thickest to thinnest they’re E A D G B E. Which obviously allows for the possibility of going up to the poor bloke in the shop and asking for a g-string.

There is some variation in thickness for any given string. This is down to personal preference (lighter=easier to play, thicker=”fuller” sound). For a 3/4 guitar for a girl, lighter is probably better if there’s a choice.

emsz
    Free Member

Any decent music shop will sell you a string. If they’re in a good mood they might even show you how to restring it. If they do, be a sport and but a set and a couple of picks. The shop I use often has buy 2 get 3rd free deals.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’d replace them all, only a couple of quid.
    Lighter = easier to play, as said earlier
    Stringing is a doddle, google it or ask on here

poppa
    Free Member

You don’t say how old it is, but chances are they are ‘old’ and could all do with a change anyway. When I used to play electric regularly I would change once a month or so.

Lighter is easier to play, but it sounds different too. For (full size) electric guitars 9-gauge is the most commonplace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about guitar strings please’ is closed to new replies.