Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about Guernsey? Does anyone live there?
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

I have a job interview here next week. But I know nothing about it.

igrf
    Free Member

Nice island if you have money, great seafood, excellent water sports, er bit limited riding and the locals are Ok once you get to know them..

v8ninety

Does anyone live there?

Yes. I believe people do. Is it where Bergerac is from? Or was that Jersey? Are they similar? That looked a nice place. Lots of murders though, avoid the town called midsomer.

igrf
    Free Member

People do live there, but there is a two tier property market, expensive for off islanders, ok for locals which can only be sold to folk born there, at least that used to be the drill, being a tax haven you used to need a mil at least to move in and that was back in the eighties, more likely ten mil by now.

It’s a very different place to Jersey, a lot rockier coast against Jerseys sandy beaches, fierce rivalry between the two islands in sporting events, Guernsey folk are normally referred to as donkeys I can’t remember why but they call Jersey folk ‘crapauds’ something to do with frogs.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s not very big.

My experiences relate mainly to getting drunk and going home with a lady who ended up not being a lady.

HTH.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Went to Guernsey twice in August, I loved it. Obviously, the island is pretty small with a population of around 65,000. Beautiful place, somewhat more unspoilt than Jersey IMHO…reminiscent of Cornwall in a lot of ways.

I found the islanders to be really friendly, they couldn’t have been more helpful/welcoming. The only tossers we encountered were the bus drivers and they seemed to be mainly brummies/cockneys!

St.Peter Port is very picturesque, certainly a lot more attractive than Jersey’s principal town, St.Helier.

jerseychaz

There’s a very active MTB scene – XC & DH organised by Guernsey Velo – good road action too! And that’s from someone who used to live on the “big island” aka Jersey 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Dont know about Guernsey(never been) but if its anything like Jersey then its a lovely place.
    My brother lives there and have visited a couple of times and are seriously contemplating moving over there only thing putting me off is the ridiculous cost of buying/renting over there.

Road cycling seems more popular in Jersey but there are plenty of places to go off road along cliff paths.

Why dont you spend a few days extra over there having a good look round.

bartesque

Just seen the post hope the interview went well

I moved to Guernsey 6.5 years ago as others have said great place velo club very active both xc and dh but focus is really on road

there are some trails but they are not totally obvious

happy to answer any specific questions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Guernsey? Does anyone live there?’ is closed to new replies.