Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • tell me about GPS. I'm a bit fick.
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

right. I want a GPS but don't want to spend loads if I can help it. I'm planning to ride the Trans-Cambrian trail soon so want it to use as well as the map to point out some of the more obscure junctions, etc.

THe thing is I don't want to get one that hasn't got the capacity for such a route. So… what should I go for as a minimum?

terrahawk
    Free Member

GOOD

zaskar
    Free Member

There are cheaper ones (not just on garmins website)

It's all about your needs.

I only do local loops og 50 miles due to time constraints but wish I bought a 705 for the HR and performance monitor.

Some get free maps and others you pay for online map subscriptions.

My Mobile gps works well for miles/distance/maps but then I use a cateyeV3 for fitness monitoring.

I'll get the 705 when I'm riding more miles/unknown areas in a couple of months.

Have a look at this course generator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=perrVMJT0Gg
    Mmm xmas toy methinks! 😛

geoffj

Don't you read the magazine? 😯

terrahawk
    Free Member

Nowhere in the mag does it say anything about minimum spec to accomodate a large route (such as the one I mentioned). Hence my question.

Thanks for your helpful response though.

djglover
    Free Member

Get a garmin geko 201, have always used OS map backup anywhere remote though

woffle
    Free Member

There are navigations specific Garmins that you can bike mount.

They don't offer the bells and whistles 'bike computer' functionality that you get with the 705 though AFAIK. And, for what it's worth I picked up my 2nd hand Garmin 705, less than 2 hours use from Amazon for just under £200 (road performance package). It's still a lot of money but a lot less than the RRP and over the last year of commuting and training its been worth every penny. The 305 is a good 'starter' and can be picked up 2nd hand for a lot less (I paid £65 odd for mine and sold it for pretty much the same amount) – however this doesn't offer the 'navigation' element and the screen is nowhere near as good.

I'm on a Mac and use Ascent software which is brilliant – sites like http://www.mapmyride.com allow you to export .tcx (?) files than you can then import into the Garmin easily enough. There's a host of free Garmin software too – Training Center etc.

Garmin's customer service is excellent too. They transferred the registration from the previous owner to myself, along with warranty etc, without an issue.

geoffj

Nowhere in the mag does it say anything about minimum spec to accomodate a large route (such as the one I mentioned). Hence my question.

Fair dos.

The eTrex H will store 500 waypoints in up to 20 routes, which should be enough for the Trans-cambrian, depending on the level of detail you want.

The TC is 100 miles? and so 5 waypoints per mile should be enough?

I wouldn't bother with a mapping unit, because the off-road maps are poor.

So an eTrex H would do the job and would be my weapon of choice.

Frog cameras have them in for £60, but you would need a cable and mount – probably another £25 ish

LINKY

Oh and if you want to use it with an OS Map DONT get an Edge because it wont give you and OS grid reference.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Terrahawk: I have read the mag, but too still don't understand…. you're not the only one!
    I have Travelogs software. If I bought a basic Garmin etrexH as per mag recommendations….
    1. I understand I can't load up the Tracklogs OS map to the etrex, but am I right in thinking I load up the waypoints found within my tracklogs route?
    2. do I need some software to allow this transfer to happen, or do I 'cut and past' my tracklogs route with the etrex dangling from my pc via a usb?
    3. Does the etrex need any basic mapping software other than the waymarks supplied by my Tracklogs?

I'm sort of curious, but never having seen one in action, I too am puzzled as to how the gps/map/tracks all mate together.

yours equally thick
    Q

geoffj

1. but am I right in thinking I load up the waypoints found within my tracklogs route? – Yes
    2. Tracklogs should do it for you by talkign to the GPS directly.
    3. Nope – no backdrop mapping just waypoints, routes and tracks.

So you should be able to plot your route in Tracklogs and then upload it as a route to the eTrex and then follow that route on the bike.

The eTrex just needs the route (which is made up of waypoints – the points you click as you draw the route in Tracklogs).

geoffj

Oh and of you don't have tracklogs or memory map or similar, this site is excellent – http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

It will download software needed (Garmin connect software) for your GPS to allow it to upload the route directly.

HTH

cinnamon_girl

With Tracklogs software, it converts waypoints to tracklogs which means that it will have a larger capacity for storing routes. Check out the Tracklogs website as they have some very good information on there.

The Trans Cambrian gps route is available from their website as a download, just choose your format.

I only have a basic Etrex Legend, no colour screen. To be honest, I would not want £300 worth of kit on my riser bar. My last off meant that the screen cracked 😳

My personal feeling is that everything is getting very complicated and too much choice is not always a good thing.

Christowkid
    Free Member

geoffj:
    Thanks ….the mist clears!!!!
    So as I already have Tracklogs, the etrex will be all I need for a basic navigation system.
    Hmmm……. methinks i might have to think again!
    cheers
    ( yawn ) time for bed……….
    a sleepy
    Q

Christowkid
    Free Member

CG: Sorry was posting as yours came in!
    Will check out Tracklogs website…..tomorrow.
    night all
    Qx

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

And always, always take maps and compass with you in case the technology fails in the middle of nowhere. Cheapest way is to print maps from Memory Map or whatever

cinnamon_girl

I would suggest always taking the OS Explorer map for more detail, ie field edges.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘tell me about GPS. I'm a bit fick.’ is closed to new replies.