Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tell me about go pros…..
  • Kryton57

Been thinking about buying one for a while. I gave up with video after finding a bullet cam experience a chore down/uploading/editing/converting video.

Has Go Pro made the experience better? What PC/Mac power/software/time might I need these days if not? And, chest or helmet mount?

geoffj

I bought one in may. It was fun for a while, but the chore of dealing with the files is still there.
    Sold mine a couple of weeks ago. Going to replace it with a waterproof decent compact digital that will take video too. Probably an Olympus TG1

lucien

Great way to record rides and stuff – don’t bother editing too much, just cut out the “looking in the lens / is it on” shots, rename and store on external HD. Always good for a bit of a memory jogger etc when winter is here etc.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It’s easier than bullet cam – SD card slots straight into my laptop, running Linux so I edit native files direct with kdenlive.

As above I often just trim start and end and keep them for reference and memories rather than edit for public sharing.

However I still have a tonne of unedited footage in my ‘to do’ folder.

carlos
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Got a brand new Drift720 HD up for sale if your interested. Its my unwanted Chritmas present, needless to say the Mrs isn’t to pleased, but she can’t return it as she’s had it more than 14 days.

Anyway e-mail in profile

Carl

Nobby

I used mine a fair bit when I got it & still have loads of coverage from various weekends away sitting on my hard drive doing nowt as my ageing PC just can’t cope with the files – even after changing the codec for something less aggressive.

Shame really as there’s also some footage of Jr & his cousins body-boarding in Devon I’d like to use.

Not sure how much computing power is actually needed so I guess it’ll sit redundant until I get round to saving enough pennies for a decent PC or Mac.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use a Contour, the faff of editing etc is there, so I don’t bother using it much.

I will use it a bit more next year, for a few work related riding things.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Go Pro + iPad SD card reader + iMovie for iPad = record, import, edit, share. Very easy.

Brycey
    Free Member

I had an Action Cam a few years a go and it was a total PITA. I rarely used it due to all the faffing, getting it mounted right, external recorder, etc. I was put off on-board cameras for ages after that .

Got a Go-Pro now and haven’t looked back. Easy to mount, no hassle, got a wee tripod for Camelbak to give a bit of variety. then I either:

1) Use iPad SD card reader (rip off incidentally), to do a very basic edit and stick in Vimeo, etc. Takes 10 mins over a brew.
    2) File for posterity as others have said. Takes 5 mins.
    3) Do a bit of an edit (I’m no Spielberg as below shows, but does the job).

[video]http://vimeo.com/54880914[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Decent modern pc copes fine with go pro. Windows movie maker is more like a crayola product for editing. Using adobe premiere cs4 here I think works fine and sensible speeds. Will be fine on any modern multicore pc. I find it better than pics for sharing. Vids on my vimeo page in my profile edited for show rather than just crop and go but I work from home

flap_jack
    Free Member

Go Pro + iPad SD card reader + iMovie for iPad = record, import, edit, share. Very easy.

Don’t have iPad but do have latest iMac. Does that route work for iMac ?

Thanks

chipsngravy
    Free Member

@flap_jack. Connect Go Pro to iMac via USB. Import from Go Pro to iMac / iMovie.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks.

Go-Pro is an option for xmas pressie (always buy after xmas for sale price). Option now firmed !

hilton83
    Free Member

Enjoyed that little edit Brycey!

Gilles

Me too. Is the Gopro camera still in the car park?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I built a hackintosh to edit my footage and immediately realised that 90% of headcam footage is dull as dishwater.

asterix
    Free Member

got a Hero3 for Xmas:-)) Just begun playing with it using a helmet mount – although it can feel a bit heavy. Are bar mounts good or too shakey?

st

The great thing about them is the way that you tube is now full of badly edited, poorly ridden trails with corny music dubbed over the lot ;o)

Brycey
    Free Member

“Me too. Is the Gopro camera still in the car park?
    POSTED 4 HOURS AGO #”

Ha ha, fair dos. Every one of my mates said that!

colin1265
    Free Member

asterix, i also got a Hero 3 Silver for xmas, god bless the ol’ woman and I have used a bike mount for the last couple of rides. I was actually surprised how well it coped with the vibrations. However i feel that this may be down to the fact we have been riding through 6 inches of pure sarfend mud !

Northwind

What’s up with the doublevision on your vid Brycey- something that crept in in editing?

Brycey
    Free Member

A bit of editing (user error) and a bit of poorly fitted chest harness on very rough ground. Still on the learning curve…

asterix
    Free Member

Cheers Colin, I’ll give it a go. Hope you enjoy yours. A

Nobby

chipsngravy – Member

Cheers – works a treat despite my Luddite ways.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about go pros…..’ is closed to new replies.