Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tell me about Glasgow and the Trossachs
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Wedding anniversary weekend coming up in september. In-laws have offered to baby-sit so me and the missus can get away.
    We’d both like to get out to do a decent full-day walk (no biking this time), and we’d both like a bit of “civilised culture”

So:
    where to walk in the Trossachs,
    where to stay in the Trossachs and Glasgow
    where to eat in Glasgow
    what to see in Glasgow (I’ve never been there)

BoardinBob

Eating

If you like seafood: http://www.crabshakk.com/crab_files/cracking_good_food.pdf

Book ahead though as it’s a tiny place and always busy

If you like Indian: http://www.weecurryshopglasgow.co.uk/

If you want a great steak: http://www.blackhouse.uk.com/restaurants/restaurants-glasgow

If you want 5* dining: http://www.townhousecompany.com/blythswoodsquare/dining/

If you want Michelin star dining: http://www.braidwoods.co.uk/ (bit outside Glasgow but it’s fantastic)

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I havent done much hill walking but Ben Lomond is very popular and not too difficult if taken from the Rowardennan side. Arrochar i think will be good too but i’ve only ever had the bike there rather than walked.

+1 for Crab Shakk, really good.

Also the Wee Curry Shop is really good too. Mother India is run by the same family and is also excellent (particularly the one on Westminster Terrace)

If you want ‘Scottish’ food then the Ubiquitius Chip on Ashton Lane or Number 16 on Byers Road are pretty good

For things to do then depends if you like art galleries and museums. If in the centre then goma (modern art gallery) is worth a visit. Sometimes the Lighthouse is depending what exhibition they have on. A tour of the art school is good, lovely building. There is also a small museum of religion next to the Cathedral (which is itself worth a visit) The biggest museum is in the west end at Kelvingrove and close by to this at Glasgow University is the Hunterian – there is a museum bit, which is closed at the moment for building work and also an art gallery in a different building. The museum of transport has recently opened fairly close by, but i’ve not been yet to see what it is like. All the museums and galleries are free.

bigG
    Free Member

Two fat Ladies at the buttery, ubiquitious chip, two fat ladies on Dumbarton Road. All fine dining.

Plenty of good walks in Trossachs, up Ben A’an is a nice stretch of the legs with great views. Or Ben Venue. Walks around Callander all nice, or Loch Katrine.

Go to the new museum of transport in Glasgow, Kelvingrove museum is good too. Glasgow science centre can be good fun on a wet day. Go to see something in the IMAX cinema that’s attached to it.

If you’re staying in the trossachs you’ll be as close to Stirling as Glasgow so you could try visiting Stirling Castle, plent of good eateries in Stirling. Let me know if you want some recommendations.

Cheers

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks all. Crabshakk sounds very good.

grantus
    Free Member

You could walk the West Highland Way from Milngavie to Dumgoyne – walk up the hill then visit the distillery at the bottom on the way back. For food if you do that then the cafe at Mugdock Park (on the route) is excellent.

Milngavie is only 5 or 6 miles out of Glasgow and the walk starts virtually at the train station. Trains to Milngavie leave from Glasgow Queen Street station.

The Burrell Collection in Pollok Park on the South Side is well worth a visit. Free entry (donations welcome) and a really nice cafe’ within it.

Ben Ledi is right on the edge of Callander. Not quite a munro but a popular walk. Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin to the East of Callander are Munros. You can also walk to Comrie from Callander through the glens of the above two mountains

althepal

2 fat ladies is great.. Good steak and scallops although the buttery is kinda out the way, esp on foot if you’re coming from the city centre.. I’d recommend the smaller ones in the city centre or the west end. Better if you’re looking to go out for drinks afterwards too. Depends where you’re staying I guess!
    Ben lomond is good but only on a really good day. The WHW is a good wee days walk to balloch or even rowardennen with some good pub stops but is mainly flat and a bit boring until you get closer to loch lomond.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Grantus, cafe at Mugdock park is not on the West Highland Way, tis a mile or two diversion off it.

Althepal, WHW does not go to Balloch! Think you might mean Balmaha.

In the Trossach’s, Ben A’an is a lovely small walk, Ben venue for something bigger, and Ben Lomond for the biggest.
    Glengoyne Distillery is great too, nice tours, and can combine with climbing Dumgoyne the hill behind it. If you out that way, popping down to see the salmon leap at Gartness on the River Endrick is good fun if a run is on. Drymen Pottery is a lovely eatery.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Glasgow and the Trossachs’ is closed to new replies.