Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tell me about Giant TCR Advanced frames please…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Thinking about upgrading my frame to one of these. What are they like to live with? Any problems? Any issues with builds or sizing?

wors

I’ve got a Tcr Advanced 2, brilliant frames, stiff yet pretty comfortable, it’s my first carbon bike so nothing to compare against. Really efficient.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have one – very impressed. The alu steerer on the cheaper frames adds weight – if you can upgrade to full carbon you save 120+g.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I had a good look in the shop and it looks like the frame only comes with a carbon steerer, will check it out.

Can’t seem to find anyone with anything bad to say about it in any forum. Always a good sign.

iainc

have a look at the sizing charts on Giants website – very informative. From memory you have to go into the ‘buy online section’ to access the detail info

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks iainc. Did have a look at that and thought I’d be ML, but having sat on a few I reckon I’m an L. Shall have to take one out for a spin to be sure.

iainc

I have a Defy Comp – the chart said M and I tried both M and M/L and the M was the right one 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well only 6ft but it must be the long limbs!

So no stories of cracked frames? No cables sawing through carbon? No dodgy warranty stories?

Kryton57

I went through this.

Depending on the model you may not be able to change the seatpost as its an aero design but thats it, generally good bikes.

Make sure you try one / use giants geo. Becuase of the “compact” frame you need a size less that you think unless you have freaky legs or something. FWIW I’m 5’11 and 3/4 and was sized to an M/L. I ended up with an standard framed L (58cm) Bianchi becuae I have a long torso / it has an italian sounding name ( 😉 )

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, it’s the aero seatpost. Guessing this is a proprietary giant shape, which I suppose could be a pain.

Ah the lure of Italian exotica. I am tempted, though I’ve always liked Giant carbon bikes ever since their first forays into carbon MTB. I still remember lusting after lovely yellow Giant back in the mid 90s.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

They’re brilliant frames, ever so stiff and efficient but fairly comfy! I have a 2011 Advanced with Ultegra and the essential carbon steerer and it’s lovely, a big step on from the older TCR that it replaced, even if it’s not as good looking!

Re fit; I’m just over 6’1″, a bit lanky and ride a M/L, if I was any taller with the same proportions I’d be on a L.

Re quality, I have known of 2 that have cracked at the driveside chainstay/BB join but both replced by Giant, no questions asked.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. The sizing has me a bit worried. Looking at the Giant charts I do seem to fall between a M/L and an L. I’ll see if I can get a spin on both and see how I get on.

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

I’m 6′, 33″ inside leg and ride a M/L. I’d be surprised if you need a large.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Love my 2009 Advanced frame – I would have replaced it by now normally but it’s just too damn good.

Ridden over the cobbles of Belgium – comfy. Ridden local road races – punchy and stiff. Giant post is limited but it’s light and the clamp works well, never felt the need to replace.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I raced on a 2012 Advanced Sl Isp frame this season (which is now for sale btw 😉 ).By some margin its the stiffest frame I’ve ever ridden,especially headtube/front end and though not offering ‘sportive’ levels of comfort I certainly felt less battered over the course of longer road races than on some other not so stiff frames.
    Cable routing has been fine (if fiddly initially).Press fit bb has been fine (though I run campag/fulcrom chainset)the only niggle has been a constantly creaky seat clamp but given the fact I’m 85kg I’m not that suprised.
    It’s going to be a tough act to follow thats for sure 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, nice bikes!

I’m 6′, 33″ inside leg and ride a M/L. I’d be surprised if you need a large.

6 foot but my inside leg is about 35″ and I’ve long arms. On the sit in the shop test the large did feel more right than the ML. I’ll have to go ride it and see.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Giant TCR Advanced frames please…’ is closed to new replies.