Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • tell me about Freesat set top boxes
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Anything I should be wary of? In the absence of Freeview in our area and an already installed dish, it seems a sensible way to get to watch the Tour de France amongst other delights. There's an Alba set top box in Argos for £24.99 at the moment. I can't be bothered with HDD recorders, built in iPlayer, HD etc.

Any experiences good or bad?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'd quite like to know about this too so if anyone can help out? Ta.

skidartist
    Free Member

If you've already got an dish up then just buy the box and plug it in, theres nothing to pay or do other than buy the box. Its not quite the same mix of channels as freeview – you get all the BBC channels (3 and 4 News 24) and the Channel 4 ones (E4, Film 4, More 4) plus the usual jumble of shopping channels, rolling news channels (Al Jazera is really good, surprisingly) and channels of corny US repeats. You also get all the BBC digital radio channels and all the regional variations of BBC1.

What you don't get over freeview is any of the extra Channel 5 channels (Fiver) or any of the BBC owned commercial channels – all the ones that used to be called UKTV and are now called 'Dave', 'Yesterday' etc.

If you do decide to go down the route of buying a recorder, which I recommend actually they change your TV habits for the better, then the other thing you need to be aware of is that the recorders require two leads to run from the dish to the box, so if you have an existing dish you might need to have a second cable run from it and I'm not sure all dishes are designed to allow that. Unlike Sky Plus its also free to use (with a Sky+ box even once you've bought it you need to pay a subscription to use the record function, regardless of what channels you do or don't pay for).

allthepies
    Free Member

As above you don't get all the Freeview channels but you'll be able to get ITV4 and hence TdF coverage. Go for it, Freesat is a good technology and I'll probably end up going that route rather than Freeview when my current telly blows up and I get a new HD one.

markenduro
    Free Member

Just gone down this route and bought a humax hdr, bit pricey but quite good. You can get away with a single lnb dish but it limits what you can watch whilst recording.

crazy-legs

OP: I've got a FreeSat box + remote that I'm looking to get rid of – does all that you want. Interested?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If he doesn't want it, i could be interested.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘tell me about Freesat set top boxes’ is closed to new replies.