Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tell me about fencing… Slopes and gradual corners
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Hoping the Singletrack Hive-mind can help me with a fencing conundrum.

Need to replace my fence, looking at a feather board / closeboard type. Garden slopes from back left corner down to front right (diagonal) and curves around (again b-l to f-r) with each angle being much greater than 90 degrees.

Trying to work out what to do with the arris rail where it joins the fence post. The slope and the corners exclude the metal brackets. The complicated angle (slope and corner) would make cutting the post hard. Current thinking is to mitre the arris rail and make a pair of mitred battons for each joint (and screw these to the post and rail).

Any better ideas? Prefer a closeboard fence as it’s a windy location and they can follow the slope, rather than stepping down like panels. Even with stepped panels I’d need to rip cut a long wedge (or the post) to go between the panel and the post.

thepurist

Mortise and tenon joint from arris rail to post, make the hole oversized to allow a bit of wiggle room. A decent fencing supplier will do the holes for you if you give them the heights you want.

mtbtom
    Free Member

That makes sense. Had only ever seen the kind where the fence post has a v-shaped notch cut in it.

Would you screw or nail through the mortise and tenon, or does it hold together on its own?

deepreddave
    Free Member

I’m a very amateur diyer but needed to measure a curved fence so soaked lengths of 3×1 and bent it around the posts. Amazingly it worked and remains in place several years later. I appreciate this may not suit your situation and your skill level may be well above mine (most people’s is).

tymbian
    Free Member

If the mortice idea isn’t your bag put in 6×4 posts and on the sides of the posts put a 3×1.5 ‘fillet’ and fix 3×2 or 4×2 between the posts and feather board from post to post..

spooky_b329

Windy location? Consider double palisade fencing (also seen it called hit and miss)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about fencing… Slopes and gradual corners’ is closed to new replies.